Suspension Seats a good idea for e-kits ?

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
What do folk here think about suspension seating when it comes to using e-kits ?

Do they help dampen the vibrations from the rougher road surfaces or e-kit ( assuming there are any ) or does it really not make that big difference other than with certain kits , rougher i.e. off road actives ?

cheers,

tepol

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I found the telescopic type pretty useless, if I had it adjusted to bounce nicely over bumps then it tried to catapult me off over speed bumps.
Balloon tyres are much more comfy. :)
If you're selling a kit then it will probably appeal to non riders.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I found the telescopic type pretty useless, if I had it adjusted to bounce nicely over bumps then it tried to catapult me off over speed bumps.
Balloon tyres are much more comfy. :)
If you're selling a kit then it will probably appeal to non riders.
Im not familiar with telescopic tyres or if their available for foldables like Downtube or Dahon, how much did they cost you , and what sort of bike did you use them with ?

t

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
I have a knock off thud buster style suspension on my bike and it seems to work well. Takes the worst of the knocks but most of the time remains rigid. The weight penalty isn't an issue on an e bike either.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Im not familiar with telescopic tyres or if their available for foldables like Downtube or Dahon, how much did they cost you , and what sort of bike did you use them with ?

t
Telescopic seat posts are the normal type, mine came with the bike. If your seat tube is almost upright (like on a folder) it may work fairly well.
The only other option I know if is:
I have a knock off thud buster style suspension on my bike and it seems to work well. Takes the worst of the knocks but most of the time remains rigid. The weight penalty isn't an issue on an e bike either.

Elcycoltd

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2009
Lothian
We find that most of the cheap ones eventually suffer from horizontal movement of the saddle.

Spend as much as you can afford would be my recommendation

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm with Mussels here, I find most telescopic sprung seatposts to be virtually useless. Balloon tyre like the Schwalbe Big Apple are the best solution for making an unsprung bike comfortable, but they aren't so suitable for off road on rough surfaces:

Schwalbe Big Apple Tyres

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I'm with Mussels here, I find most telescopic sprung seatposts to be virtually useless. Balloon tyre like the Schwalbe Big Apple are the best solution for making an unsprung bike comfortable, but they aren't so suitable for off road on rough surfaces:

Schwalbe Big Apple Tyres
I think i should be clear that my concern is more the " constant " vibrations or rpm ( if i got that right ) ,the odd knock every now and then wouldnt bother me as much , but being exposed to something like a rattling or shaking effect over period of time certainly would.

Its more that then, that Im trying to guard against - whatever form , rather than just the road / surface purely itself , hence why I thought the suspension under the seat might help .

Im assuming this wouldnt be problem with the Nano e-kit which is reported to be silent , but its got me wondering about the other ones that arent i.e. the Currie or even the Ezee - esp if I have to use it fully uphill.

tepol

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think a soft surface saddle such as a gel type is best to absorb any higher frequency vibrations from the motor, a stiff seatpost spring wouldn't help at all with that. However, I've never known of any problem with such vibrations affecting comfort.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The only thing I've seen that deals with vibrations well is a fat low presssure tyre but that might not work well with small wheels.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
The only thing I've seen that deals with vibrations well is a fat low presssure tyre but that might not work well with small wheels.
Well I noticed a lot of people praising these big apple tires which look like they might useful if I plan to try to go off-road ( forest paths not hardcore )

The other thing I've been tryin to figure out is the damm handlebars so that Im sitting more upright or crusier style.

There are some nice options on that site , but I like the V comfort handleposts , the only problem is I cant tell if the Downtubes will compitable with them as the owner ( Yah Lanksy ) doesnt know.

You can see here
that it mentions it is compatiable with most Dahons that have - or can use
the telescoping Radius V handleposts .

This confuses me because I thought most Dahons didnt have that i.e. the whole point of these handleposts , and i cant find any reference to them other than the very ones i am trying to fit .

I guess the question I want to know then is what is the difference between the Dahons that can fit these comfort handleposts , compared to the ones that cant ??? i.e. so i cant use it to comapre it with the Nova Downtube I just bought.

Tepol

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I stuck a Brooks Flyer on the Synapse and it's brilliant takes out all the road buzz and dampens bigger bumps, it's well engineered and I could see it lasting for years !

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Thanks- I'll keep that in mind if i encounter any issues once I get the bike, its sounds more like the tires would help me more but i suppose that depends on the e-kit itself and where I ride it.

T