Step through versus crossbar.

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
Why is it, that in this country, the step through style is generally seen as a lasses bike and the crossbar a lads bike, whereas this way of thinking doesn't seem to apply with our friends in the rest of Europe. I would have thought that with modern materials the difference in strength would not be all that large? I can understand for extreme off road stuff then any slight improvement in strength is a bonus but for general run of the mill/commuting type cycling the advantages of the step through would prevail.

Is there something cultural going on here?

By the way I've got a unisex bike!:)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well I have heard this said about Europe, but as far as I can see, generally they are the same as us. Check youtube for Dutch and Belgian cyclists.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although the Dutch and other continentals seem to conform to a limited extent, it's only in respect of clothing sutability.

Only in Britain are the terms "gents bike" and "ladies bike" used, none of the continentals think of them in such gender based terms.

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
I read on one suppliers website that the geometry of the ladies bike was different, bringing the saddle closer to the handlebars? On the strength issue I don't believe it's a significant factor for 'normal' cycling. I've just had a quick look at a few websites and only found one with a weight difference between the step through and crossbar.

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
There is the Dutch, Oma[grandmother]fiets Opa[grandfather]fiets,Dames[ladies]fiets,Heren[gents]fiets,Meisjes[girls]fiets.
Jongens[boys]fiets....nope no gender specifics here in the Netherlands.
The low step throughs are great if you have limited mobility my cargo bike is a Oma sort as its easy to get on and off when
the back is loaded.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
most definitely cultural IMO....Problem I am finding in sourcing a bike for my wife is the step through tend to be a lot heavier. This a real problem with getting it on the rack of a camper van. You cant beat the triangle I'm afraid....

have just found a low step German bike at not a bad weight though......

real advantage with step through is at traffic lights you can hop of walk through and ride away and its legal!

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
There is the Dutch, Oma[grandmother]fiets Opa[grandfather]fiets,Dames[ladies]fiets,Heren[gents]fiets,Meisjes[girls]fiets.
Jongens[boys]fiets....nope no gender specifics here in the Netherlands.

My wife is worried...............what is an oma fiets? How does it differ from a dames fiets?

tonyishuk

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2011
The only useless comment I can add to theis thread ;-)

I hired a electric "dutch style / ladies bike" and whenever I semi dismounted and "lent" the bike against my leg to read a map, the bike gently fell over (no crosbar below) and skinned my leg on the way down ! (Should have learnt the first time it fell over !)

Dutch style does NOT get my vote !

Rgds