SR Suntour HESC replacement

Snowman

Just Joined
Sep 13, 2024
Hi all….first post here so be gentle (as I’m pretty ignorant of Ebike systems / options).

I’ve 2 Carrera Crossfire bikes from circa 2018 with the SR Suntour HESC system (36V 250W) - one for me, one for the wife; and we also use a trailer for our dog on our journeys around the cycle tracks in Europe.

One of the bikes is now reporting an Error Code E42 (from Suntour manual is a Motor Fault) - and it looses all power. It’s intermittent, but happens often enough to make the bike unusable (might work for a few mins, then reports the error).

I’ve checked all the connectors and they look fine.

I’ve then swapped the rear wheel (and thus motor) from one bike to the other to isolate the components. So the issue is definitely with the Motor on the failed bike.

I’ve bought an Ebike tester and will use that to test the phase windings and hall sensors, but I’m not sure of the pin layout on the DIN type motor cable connector.

So question 1: Does anyone know the PIN layout for the connector?

Question 2: If the motor is gubbed, can I have it repaired anywhere?

Question 3: If I need to replace the motor, can I swap it for any brand of Hub motor; is the wheel hub a standard design meaning I can fit any other hub motor, or will it have to be a like for like Suntour replacement?

Question 4: If I can’t track down a Suntour replacement (or valid alternative) can I fit any 36V 250w complete wheel / motor? ie. would my existing Controller / HESC system work with an 3rd party wheel / motor?

Thanks in advance of any advice / guidance - and I’m happy to do any suggested reading to get the answer (but I’ve not managed to track down anything of use so far online).

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all….first post here so be gentle (as I’m pretty ignorant of Ebike systems / options).

I’ve 2 Carrera Crossfire bikes from circa 2018 with the SR Suntour HESC system (36V 250W) - one for me, one for the wife; and we also use a trailer for our dog on our journeys around the cycle tracks in Europe.

One of the bikes is now reporting an Error Code E42 (from Suntour manual is a Motor Fault) - and it looses all power. It’s intermittent, but happens often enough to make the bike unusable (might work for a few mins, then reports the error).

I’ve checked all the connectors and they look fine.

I’ve then swapped the rear wheel (and thus motor) from one bike to the other to isolate the components. So the issue is definitely with the Motor on the failed bike.

I’ve bought an Ebike tester and will use that to test the phase windings and hall sensors, but I’m not sure of the pin layout on the DIN type motor cable connector.

So question 1: Does anyone know the PIN layout for the connector?

Question 2: If the motor is gubbed, can I have it repaired anywhere?

Question 3: If I need to replace the motor, can I swap it for any brand of Hub motor; is the wheel hub a standard design meaning I can fit any other hub motor, or will it have to be a like for like Suntour replacement?

Question 4: If I can’t track down a Suntour replacement (or valid alternative) can I fit any 36V 250w complete wheel / motor? ie. would my existing Controller / HESC system work with an 3rd party wheel / motor?

Thanks in advance of any advice / guidance - and I’m happy to do any suggested reading to get the answer (but I’ve not managed to track down anything of use so far online).
There isn't really anything that can go wrong with a motor that would make it intermittent, except maybe a bit of damage to the cable. Someone had a similar problem with a different motor, and he found that it was caused by one or two of the hall sensor wires not tied down properly that rubbed through the insulation.

You can't send the motor anywhere to get it fixed.

You often see used motor's for sale on Ebay.

In theory, you can use any motor, but you'll need to figure out which 3 of the 36 connection combinations work. If you want to go that route, there's a guide in the form of a flow chart how to do it most efficiently and a table to record your results. The motor tester doesn't care about which sequence you connect it as long as you get the three phase wires on their connectors and the positive and negative hall power wires in the right place. Don't forget that you have to turn the motor BACKWARDS to test it.

The motor connector has 9 wires, IIRC. The three thick ones are the phase (power) wires, then there are three thin wires typically the same colours as the phase wires that carry the hall signals, then there are two thin ones to power the hall sensors, which are typically red and black, though easy to check because one will be 5v and the other ground. That leaves one more thin wire, which carries the speed signal.

Advertisers