Spoke magnet speed sensor Brainpower.

jarnold

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 2, 2024
Gloucestershire
I'm in the process of replacing the faulty controller in a very old 26V Giant eBike with a Sync drive front hub motor. Things are looking good, except for the fact that the speedo/odometer function on the S866 display doesn't work when freewheeling. Am I correct in thinking that I can use the white wire in the Hall effect loom with a spoke magnet sensor, if I set the number of magnets to 1? If so, bearing in mind that my spoke sensor is a simple reed switch, can I connect it between white wire and Gnd, or white wire and +5v?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm in the process of replacing the faulty controller in a very old 26V Giant eBike with a Sync drive front hub motor. Things are looking good, except for the fact that the speedo/odometer function on the S866 display doesn't work when freewheeling. Am I correct in thinking that I can use the white wire in the Hall effect loom with a spoke magnet sensor, if I set the number of magnets to 1? If so, bearing in mind that my spoke sensor is a simple reed switch, can I connect it between white wire and Gnd, or white wire and +5v?
The answer to all is yes. One wire goes to ground or 5v. One will work, the other won't. You have to find out which it is, as they can be either way round on different controllers. You can try measuring the voltage on the white wire when everything is switched on. If 0v, the other wire goes to 5v. If 5v, the other wire goes to ground.

jarnold

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 2, 2024
Gloucestershire
Thanks. Neither option seems to work right now. The speedo/odometer works fine using the motor hall sensors, but seems to ignore the white wire. Is it possible that I need to connect the spoke magnet sensor and re invoke the self learning mode?
Also, when I first got this running, I used a couple of resistors to emulated a throttle voltage, and stepping through the assist levels changed the speed proportionally. I then connected the throttle wires to the rear dropout torque sensor, and something changed, so that the assist levels seem to do nowt. Back to the resistor divider and also only the one speed. I'm wondering if I've accidentally screwed up some other setting, and whether there's either a list of default values for the settings, or a way to do a factory reset.

Advertisers