Help! Spark from my mount on my e bike

Didz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2024
Hi everyone, I was taking the mount of my e bike and I forgot to disconnect from the motor and there was a spark when I was unscrewing the mount, I accidentally touched the meter battery connector with a screwdriver and there was a spark any advice would be great full
Many thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi everyone, I was taking the mount of my e bike and I forgot to disconnect from the motor and there was a spark when I was unscrewing the mount, I accidentally touched the meter battery connector with a screwdriver and there was a spark any advice would be great full
Many thanks
I doubt that any damage was done. You need to be more precise about what you did. What bike, what type of battery, and what exactly you did.

Didz

Jun 6, 2024
I doubt that any damage was done. You need to be more precise about what you did. What bike, what type of battery, and what exactly you did.
I was unscrewing the mount on my harp e bike and accidentally touched the metal battery connector with a screwdriver. It is a Harp electric bike

Attachments

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
No harm done. You just discharged the controller's input capacitor when you bridged the battery connector with your screwdriver. A flash and a crack is perfectly normal in this circumstance.

Reactions: Didz

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I was unscrewing the mount on my harp e bike and accidentally touched the metal battery connector with a screwdriver. It is a Harp electric bike
Your controller has large capacitors in it that hold a bit of charge when you remove the battery. All you did was discharge them. The worst thing that can happen is you weld the screwdriver to the connector.

You get the same spark if you connect the battery to the mount with the battery switched on. It will eventually burn the connectors, so don't do it. The capacitors are connected even when the bike is switched off.

Reactions: Didz

Didz

Jun 6, 2024
No harm done. You just discharged the controller's input capacitor when you bridged the battery connector with your screwdriver. A flash and a crack is perfectly normal in this circumstance.
Thank you for your advice

Didz

Jun 6, 2024
Your controller has large capacitors in it that hold a bit of charge when you remove the battery. All you did was discharge them. The worst thing that can happen is you weld the screwdriver to the connector.

You get the same spark if you connect the battery to the mount with the battery switched on. It will eventually burn the connectors, so don't do it. The capacitors are connected even when the bike is switched off.
Thank you for your advice

Didz

Jun 6, 2024

Thanks for your advice

Didz

Jun 6, 2024

Thanks for the advice

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

Interesting. I wonder about the safety issues for car mechanics and technicians with electric car maintenance. The batteries are not 48 and 56 volts - more like 400v to 800v. I once got a shock from a large PSU capacitor in a valve powered radio transmitter. The psu was switched off from the mains and I put my finger on the anode of the output valve which ran at an HT of 800 - 900 volts..... What a surprise I got. A few milliamps for a moment at 800 volts and I was not a happy boy. I was flung across the room by the involuntary muscle spasm in my legs and bruised myself up a bit. Contrast that with a large battery at 800 volts that is well up for supplying many kilowatts. Is that a barbecue I can smell?

I expect the safety protocols will take away any of the supposed maintenance savings involved in the transition to electric transport.

Last edited:

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I believe that if you turn your ebike LCD screen on with no battery connected, that will discharge the capacitors so you can safely add and remove your battery cradle without getting any sparks.