should E bike,s have a diagnostic test system

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
I have been reading about all the problems that people have with their electrics on their e bikes. So what i would like to know why can manufactures of e bike not fit a diagnostic plug on the bike then you could buy the diagnostic test system read the code and then order the part from the suppler. A lot of people buy e bike,s but have no dealer backup near them if i had been offered this as a extra for say £200 i would have bought it.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Some do I believe, I think Wisper have some diagnostic functions built in and the Bionx units AFAIK.

The lower end Chinese bikes don't. The controllers are relatively simple and adding diagnostic functions bumps up the price and at the price competitive end of the market it makes a big difference.

C

Cyclezee

Hi David,

The eZee controller as fitted to both eZee bikes and kits has a self diagnostic LED indicator that flashes if there is a problem, the number of flashes indicates the type of problem.

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
When i bought my e bike in Nov 2011 i looked at the Wisper and e Zee bike,s and did not know that they came with self test diagnostic if i had know that i my well have bought a different bike

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
An led on the controller to indicate there is power from the battery would be nice.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Diagnostic systems have their limitations, and can be costly. They can only point you in roughly the right direction. For instance, take a LED indicator to show if the battery has power . All it really shows is that the battery is supplying enough power to light a LED. If there is a high resistance connection , it may still light the LED, but will not power the motor.

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hi David

All our A2B bikes have CANBUS.

We can plug them in to do any of the following:
- Upgrade software
- Read fault codes
- Run diagnosis
- Analyse users ride data (how much energy used etc)
- Charge cycles
- Battery health

Amongst other options...!

It is expensive, but the A2B line do fit in the top bracket for many UK purchasers!

Thanks

C

Cyclezee

Hi Neptune,

As both Flecc and I have posted in this thread the eZee diagnostics does much more than show if the battery has power to light an LED;)

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
eZee have this, and it's number of flashes indicate any fault condition as shown on this diagnostic list on my Torq site.
That looks like a nice system, and the wiring diagram is also helpful.
Now if it had a cheap led bar graph display showing the hall and phase firing sequence switchable via a test button to preserve power that would give a complete picture of the system status.
Is the motor power cable socketed to allow easy wheel removal?

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
It is matter of opinion if a diagnostic system is worth the extra cost. What would be cheaper and potentially more useful would be a full circuit diagram, wiring diagram, and expected voltages at key points under specified conditions. But that is not going to happen, as manufacturers inevitably put dealer profits first. I suppose that they have to, in order to survive. We will have to wait for the Haynes Manual I suppose.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
It is matter of opinion if a diagnostic system is worth the extra cost. What would be cheaper and potentially more useful would be a full circuit diagram, wiring diagram, and expected voltages at key points under specified conditions. But that is not going to happen, as manufacturers inevitably put dealer profits first. I suppose that they have to, in order to survive. We will have to wait for the Haynes Manual I suppose.
It is more a matter of safety of the customer whose level of competence is unknown - armed with that information who would be liable should nasty accident occur?

C

Cyclezee

It is more a matter of safety of the customer whose level of competence is unknown - armed with that information who would be liable should nasty accident occur?
I had a very similar discussion with eZee a couple of weeks ago when we were looking at new control panel that is going into the latest models.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I suppose that is a good point in a world where people will sue at the drop of a hat. It is easy to forget that there are idiots out there.

Dreamer

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2012
Bonny Scotland
Could always make it on demand to stave off the people who are not confident in trying themselves.

Nanny state comes to mind. you buy a ladder and fall of it-your fault. if you buy a car and get your twanger caught in the exaust-its your fault. If you fall of your bike its-your fault. If you play with a bike and get hurt fixing it its ----your fault.

The customer is liable for playing with stuff they have no knowledge about imo.

There quick to sell an electric bike to ride on the road and to quote above-
"It is more a matter of safety of the customer whose level of competence is unknown"

If that was a concern they wouldn't just sell an ebike to anyone without checking peoples riding abilities. But we all know that doesnt happen so back to money and selling replacement parts. Im with neptune. Rant over :)

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
One manufacturer I know does not have the diagrams them selves, a guy there has a good idea about them and scribbles you one out, even the dealers have no chance then. :(

Dreamer

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2012
Bonny Scotland
Neptune, don't fall into the trap :) why should we suffer for other peoples stupidity.

Do we ban knives and forkes, sharp pencils, bikes would have to go under that argument.

C

Cyclezee

I was more concerned about having a control panel that was functional and simple to use for the average rider and who would be quite happy with the level of information given by the diagnostic LED on the eZee controller.

The more knowledgeable rider has the option of a Cycle Analyst to adjust parameters and give data.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is matter of opinion if a diagnostic system is worth the extra cost. What would be cheaper and potentially more useful would be a full circuit diagram, wiring diagram, and expected voltages at key points under specified conditions. But that is not going to happen, as manufacturers inevitably put dealer profits first.
The eZee diagnostic system has always been part of the eZee controller circuitry since 2004 and adds very little to the cost. Also eZee has long provided a downloadable PDF all models Technical Service Manual with wiring diagrams on their website and also linked to from my eZee Torq/Quando support website. They show both can be provided with a little effort.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2012
Bonny Scotland
None of that was aimed at you Cyclezee was a response to shemozzle999 post.

Cant agree with his argument at all. Makes no sense.

I deal with circuit boards there pennies to make these days only real cost would be the redesigning of a circuit board. In my opinion maybe 15 quid extra on a bike is more than enough to deal with the costs of adjusting to give fault diagnostic abilities and thats being on the very expensive side. Atleast these days its standard in most mid range and above bikes and according to flecc a company had the foresight years ago. Nice to see they give the diagrams out too. Wish the rest would follow.