Shock Absorbers

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
This is not a specifically e-bike question, but I am considering moving my motor to this bike, so I hope it is permitted.
I need to buy a new shock absorber for my mountain bike. The current one (marked DNM torch) has snapped in half. First I need to understand a bit more about how they work. I understand the spring bit. There is also damping, I'm guessing there is oil or air inside the cyclinder which is squeezed through a small hole. What I don't understand is the knob marked "R" at one end. I assume it stands for "Rebound damping" and adjusts the strength of the damping, but I can't see how it works. The shaft is hollow, is there an air valve in the end with the knob? Wouldn't that need a hole to the outside and wouldn't that get blocked with mud?

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This is not a specifically e-bike question, but I am considering moving my motor to this bike, so I hope it is permitted.
I need to buy a new shock absorber for my mountain bike. The current one (marked DNM torch) has snapped in half. First I need to understand a bit more about how they work. I understand the spring bit. There is also damping, I'm guessing there is oil or air inside the cyclinder which is squeezed through a small hole. What I don't understand is the knob marked "R" at one end. I assume it stands for "Rebound damping" and adjusts the strength of the damping, but I can't see how it works. The shaft is hollow, is there an air valve in the end with the knob? Wouldn't that need a hole to the outside and wouldn't that get blocked with mud?
Do you do serious off-roading? If not, the only thing that matters is the length. You can transfer the bearings and spacers from one to another, though you could check the widths of the ends to make sure. DNM make loads of shocks from cheap to expensive, which you can find on Aliexpress, Amazon and Ebay. On the road, you probably won't feel much difference, though air ones generally give a bit more comfort.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Damping uses oil not air. Adjustment must be controlling size of hole between two internal spaces.

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
I should mention the the original was a Fox Vanilla R, so I don't need to get a DNM in particular. Since you haven't warned me off them, I assume they are OK, and if they do a good range I might find something suitable from them.
Do you do serious off-roading?
No, I've been riding motorbikes, pedal bikes and e-bikes for decades and I've recently been riding mountain bike tracks with an e-bike with V-brakes and front suspension. I'd like to try downhill tracks with bigger jumps. It's only for fun, I won't be competing.

Last edited:

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
controlling size of hole between two internal spaces.
The oil could go down the hollow shaft, but I can't see where the oil could be going in the small end with the adjuster. There doesn't look to be enough room for air and oil.

Last edited:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
If th
I've taken the bolt out of the swinging arm end (as can be seen in the first photo), but it doesn't want to come off. I am going to assume it is just a tight fit and I just need to use some force. Let me know if there is something I have missed!
If that won't move then that will be why it snapped in the first place. A rear shock will only snap if the ends aren't able to move (rotate) while the suspension moves.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I should mention the the original was a Fox Vanilla R, so I don't need to get a DNM in particular. Since you haven't warned me off them, I assume they are OK, and if they do a good range I might find something suitable from them.

No, I've been riding motorbikes, pedal bikes and e-bikes for decades and I've recently been riding mountain bike tracks with an e-bike with V-brakes and front suspension. I'd like to try downhill tracks with bigger jumps. It's only for fun, I won't be competing.
I think itjust a question of how much you want to pay. Non-Chinese established brands will probably last longer, but are a lot more expensive. I think if one of my shocks went, I'd give one of these a try, but I only ride on the road. Off-road, performance of the shock becomes much more important.

My Fox Float has been on my bike for 10 years and 10,000 miles. I've never even topped up the air. The spacer-bushes at the rear end are completely worn, but they're not part of the shock.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a decent shock will cost more than the hole bike, cheap crap and big jumps dont work.

Related Articles

Advertisers