seized bikes

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
posted on Nextdoor by Hampshire County Council, I can't see a way to give a url so copy/pasted

Hampshire County Council2 days ago

30 dangerous e-bikes have been seized by our Trading Standards team as part of their work to keep residents safe from harmful products. The e-bikes valued at £30,000 were stopped from entering the UK via Southampton Port as part of our work to monitor goods coming into the country. Checks by officers identified faulty plugs and charging units that could cause injury through electric shocks, posing a high risk of fire. A national alert has now been issued regarding this specific batch of ‘GIN E-bikes’ to raise awareness with retailers and consumers about the particular brand and batch of e-bikes and chargers: https://www.gov.uk/product-safety-alerts-reports-recalls/product-safety-report-gin-e-bike-and-charger-2407-0160 This comes after a reported surge in fires caused by lithium-ion e-scooter and e-bike batteries in the UK. If you are thinking of buying an e-bike, the guidance from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute is to: • Only purchase e-bikes, e-scooters, chargers and batteries from reputable retailers. • Never buy counterfeit batteries or chargers - a genuine product will display a valid UKCA or CE mark. • Check that separate components, such as batteries and chargers, are compatible with one another. • Register your product with the manufacturer to validate any warranties on components including batteries. Registering makes it easier for manufacturers to contact you in the event of safety or recall information. • Check any products you have bought are not subject to a product recall. You can do this by checking Electrical Safety First 's website at https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/safety-around-the-home or the Government website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-safety-message-on-e-bikes-and-e-scooters

Product Safety Report: Gin E-Bike and Charger (2407-0160)
gov.uk

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
posted on Nextdoor by Hampshire County Council, I can't see a way to give a url so copy/pasted

Hampshire County Council2 days ago

30 dangerous e-bikes have been seized by our Trading Standards team as part of their work to keep residents safe from harmful products. The e-bikes valued at £30,000 were stopped from entering the UK via Southampton Port as part of our work to monitor goods coming into the country. Checks by officers identified faulty plugs and charging units that could cause injury through electric shocks, posing a high risk of fire. A national alert has now been issued regarding this specific batch of ‘GIN E-bikes’ to raise awareness with retailers and consumers about the particular brand and batch of e-bikes and chargers: https://www.gov.uk/product-safety-alerts-reports-recalls/product-safety-report-gin-e-bike-and-charger-2407-0160 This comes after a reported surge in fires caused by lithium-ion e-scooter and e-bike batteries in the UK. If you are thinking of buying an e-bike, the guidance from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute is to: • Only purchase e-bikes, e-scooters, chargers and batteries from reputable retailers. • Never buy counterfeit batteries or chargers - a genuine product will display a valid UKCA or CE mark. • Check that separate components, such as batteries and chargers, are compatible with one another. • Register your product with the manufacturer to validate any warranties on components including batteries. Registering makes it easier for manufacturers to contact you in the event of safety or recall information. • Check any products you have bought are not subject to a product recall. You can do this by checking Electrical Safety First 's website at https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/safety-around-the-home or the Government website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-safety-message-on-e-bikes-and-e-scooters

Product Safety Report: Gin E-Bike and Charger (2407-0160)
gov.uk
Hmmm! It sounds like the chargers were not grounded or something like that - nothing to do with bikes catching fire. I can't remember anybody ever electrocuting themselves with an ebike charger, though I'm sure somebody will eventually find a way.

At least they're keeping an eye on things. It reminds me of one Chinese battery and charger I had many years ago. Both the battery and charger's mains lead had the same kettle plug on them. It didn't take long before I plugged the mains lead directly into the battery. Luckily, or by design, the fuse in the mains plug blew immediately, and no harm was done.

I can see a lot of advantage in standardising connection systems. Unfortunately, I reckon it's going to go in the direction of comms and unique identification of the battery and charger, so replacements will be expensive.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can see a lot of advantage in standardising connection systems. Unfortunately, I reckon it's going to go in the direction of comms and unique identification of the battery and charger, so replacements will be expensive.
Nobody complains about charging your phone with USB-C port standardisation for example.
My experience is standardisation brings costs down.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hmmm! It sounds like the chargers were not grounded or something like that - nothing to do with bikes catching fire. I can't remember anybody ever electrocuting themselves with an ebike charger, though I'm sure somebody will eventually find a way.
Perhaps the chargers were fitted with these small plugs? Photography lights I bought were, dangerous at the three pin IEC connector on the other end of the power cables too - slippy squidgy elastic compressible plastic, wouldn't stay in the power supplies. I threw the cables away, used decent power cables. I have a zillion power leads from old PCs. The Chinese ebay bargain continuous studio lighting rig itself is excellent, paid for itself within seconds.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Nobody complains about charging your phone with USB-C port standardisation for example.
My experience is standardisation brings costs down.
That would mean that you need a buck converter inside the battery, like a phone and similar devices have. It would save a lot of messing about, but it brings new risks inside the battery

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Perhaps the chargers were fitted with these tiny plugs? Photography lights I bought were, dangerous at the three pin IEC connector on the other end of the power cable too - slippy elastic compressible plastic, wouldn't stay in the power supplies. I threw them away, used decent power cables.

I bought a 1500w camping kettle. It had aluminium wire in the mains lead instead of copper, so I slung it and used a proper 3kw one off an old kettle. It was probably OK because most people would never know to change it, but I didn't want to risk it when I didn't have to.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Only purchase e-bikes, e-scooters, chargers and batteries from reputable retailers. • Never buy counterfeit batteries or chargers - a genuine product will display a valid UKCA or CE mark. •
I possibly would have considered Gin e-bikes reputable ! https://www.ginebikes.com/ - they seem to mostly do 250W bikes

Certainly seen lots of reviews for them on ebike tips, etc

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
It had aluminium wire in the mains lead instead of copper, so I slung it...
There's nothing wrong with using Aluminium instead of copper... it's lighter and cheaper than copper and thus widely used for overhead transmission lines. It's less conductive sure (maybe 60%), but that doesn't make it unsuitable or dangerous if the cross-section of the cable is adequate. It's acceptable for use in BS7671, the electricians bible...
Perhaps the chargers were fitted with these small plugs?
I've bought 2 items direct from China recently with those plugs; they work perfectly but don't meet the BS1363 standard because A) it's possible to wrap your fingers around the body and shock yourself, and B) because they aren't fused. Those of us who are old enough will remember the days when nothing had a fused mains plug fitted and you had to fit your own... and so with these... just cut the thing off and fit your own. Why twats on social media constantly wail about the scandal of it all just defeats me. The manufacturer of one of the products I bought just didn't realise there was a standard, but now they do, responded very quickly and immediately changed their production.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There's nothing wrong with using Aluminium instead of copper... it's lighter and cheaper than copper and thus widely used for overhead transmission lines. It's less conductive sure (maybe 60%), but that doesn't make it unsuitable or dangerous if the cross-section of the cable is adequate. It's acceptable for use in BS7671, the electricians bible...

I've bought 2 items direct from China recently with those plugs; they work perfectly but don't meet the BS1363 standard because A) it's possible to wrap your fingers around the body and shock yourself, and B) because they aren't fused. Those of us who are old enough will remember the days when nothing had a fused mains plug fitted and you had to fit your own... and so with these... just cut the thing off and fit your own. Why twats on social media constantly wail about the scandal of it all just defeats me. The manufacturer of one of the products I bought just didn't realise there was a standard, but now they do, responded very quickly and immediately changed their production.
See here from 3:00. That's the same kettle, but mine had a UK plug on it. Also, the kettle is earthed to its connector, but no Earth wire to the plug.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My worry about the absence of fuses in the small plugs, was due to the female slippy squidgy plastic three pin kettle lead ends pushing themselves out of the power supplies with loud cracks, no matter how hard I pushed them in. Wires were also seriously slinky thin and soft, felt like they wouldn't last long. Those leads went in the bin.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
See here from 3:00. That's the same kettle, but mine had a UK plug on it. Also, the kettle is earthed to its connector, but no Earth wire to the plug.
I watched the video. I generally do like Big Clive, but his background is in fixing gaming machines. He's entertaining and making his living by critising cheap tat, mostly/obviously emanating from China. But sometimes his head is so far up his own arse he misses the bleeding obvious. Did he test continuity between the earth pin and the exposed metal ring? No. It looks to me as being double insulated so it's perfectly safe to use without an earth connection... and he doesn't confirm the gauge of wire is or isn't adequate for a 600/700w load. What he doesn't say is that the boiling/heat trip device isn't made for tripping like that... they're fail-safes, not designed for regular use, and do fail... did he mention that? No. Twat. The cable supplied would ideally include an earth, but it's not necessary in that design. I personally wouldn't trust that product because of your heat-trip being unreliable, not because of the cable.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
My worry about the absence of fuses in the small plugs, was due to the female slippy squidgy plastic three pin kettle lead ends pushing themselves out of the power supplies with loud cracks, no matter how hard I pushed them in. Wires were also seriously slinky thin and soft, felt like they wouldn't last long. Those leads went in the bin.
You're right to question safety, but I've had reputable UK products spark too because the plug pins didn't connect tightly to the receiving socket. Like an e-bike battery, the pins spread, don't connect 100% securely, and overheat/spark/crack/burn.

That can happen with everything/anything that uses outboard power at higher current/Amps, whether mains or battery. The remedy is simply to bend the pins so they do make proper contact, not junk the lead or appliance.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You're right to question safety, but I've had reputable UK products spark too because the plug pins didn't connect tightly to the receiving socket. Like an e-bike battery, the pins spread, don't connect 100% securely, and overheat/spark/crack/burn.

That can happen with everything/anything that uses outboard power at higher current/Amps, whether mains or battery. The remedy is simply to bend the pins so they do make proper contact, not junk the lead or appliance.
I could have cut the female plastic kettle ends thinner, so they wouldn't push themselves out of the power supplies causing a spark, or possibly a long sustained arc and fire if they didn't fully push themselves out, or did so very slowly - simpler safer and less hassle to throw the leads away. Can't have that sort of thing going on at customer location photography shoots, or indeed at home. The cheap but effective lights and power supplies hoods stands sandbag counterweights reflectors snoots etc. themselves are great. Leads were utter shite. I might still have one somewhere for autopsy.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Leads were utter shite. I might still have one somewhere for autopsy.
I've worked with many professional photographers in Central London studios over the years. The leads supplied for any product, even the most expensive, are often included in the box "gratis" - sufficient to make the product work - but they too are often just basic/"shite"/barely adequate, even for the most expensive products. You have to make your own value judgement call. Usually, IMHO, they're fine though... not OFC or "pure" to maximise performance for the best results - that's an extra cost option - but just adequate.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

This is a quote from the report:
Hazard
The product presents a high risk of fire and explosion as the transformer is of a poor build quality and does not meet the requirements for creepage and clearance. Additionally, the fuse in the plug does not contain a ballast and is considered counterfeit.

The product does not meet the requirements of the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008 or the Plugs & Sockets (Safety) Regulations 1994.
The product may contain an unsuitable fuse.
You may say that is extreme but imagine for a moment what can happen if the charger's mains lead does not have a fuse. The tracks on the charger's PCB become the fuse. If there is not enough separation between the tracks then sparks can go between them and burn the charger.
Consider that about 35% of fires happened while charging, it makes sense to throw out poorly designed chargers or chargers with dodgy leads.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
This is a quote from the report:

The product may contain an unsuitable fuse.
You may say that is extreme but imagine for a moment what can happen if the charger's mains lead does not have a fuse. The tracks on the charger's PCB become the fuse. If there is not enough separation between the tracks then sparks can go between them and burn the charger.
Consider that about 35% of fires happened while charging, it makes sense to throw out poorly designed chargers or chargers with dodgy leads.
I agree 100% - sometimes product is defective, and sometimes the low voltage tracks haven't been separated by cutting the board... no doubt, there are some either willfully or ill-educated manufacturers out there.

But consider this...

Vevor is a major importer of many Chinese products for resale into many markets including the UK. One of their main products is Diesel Heaters, which have gained many 5-star reviews for performance against cost.

What happened this year is this: Product Recall: Vevor Diesel Car Parking Heater (2306-0119) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

All product (and it was a LOT of product) was seized by Customs because they didn't print a warning in the instructions saying the exhaust could get hot and be a combustion hazard... I mean, what kind of retard wouldn't know? They've been selling these very popular products in the UK for years without hazard, and the 3 diesel heaters of alternative brands I own don't have any such warning either.

Nanny state gone mad if you ask me.

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've worked with many professional photographers in Central London studios over the years. The leads supplied for any product, even the most expensive, are often included in the box "gratis" - sufficient to make the product work - but they too are often just basic/"shite"/barely adequate, even for the most expensive products. You have to make your own value judgement call. Usually, IMHO, they're fine though... not OFC or "pure" to maximise performance for the best results - that's an extra cost option - but just adequate.
The wires would have lasted a few location photography shoots - I didn't want the extra hassle of leads causing problems with power supplies, when decent quality leads were on hand which last many years of rough handling. Bin jobs the lot, apart from possibly one which may yet lurk dangerously slinky slippy soft and squidgily in a box somewhere. It's the sort of product which attempts to give itself a Viking funeral. It's planned product obsolescence gone mad! Self-disengaging power supply leads must not be tolerated. To be fair, most other cheap Chinese leads supplied with power supplies have been fine before and since.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I watched the video. I generally do like Big Clive, but his background is in fixing gaming machines. He's entertaining and making his living by critising cheap tat, mostly/obviously emanating from China. But sometimes his head is so far up his own arse he misses the bleeding obvious. Did he test continuity between the earth pin and the exposed metal ring? No. It looks to me as being double insulated so it's perfectly safe to use without an earth connection... and he doesn't confirm the gauge of wire is or isn't adequate for a 600/700w load. What he doesn't say is that the boiling/heat trip device isn't made for tripping like that... they're fail-safes, not designed for regular use, and do fail... did he mention that? No. Twat. The cable supplied would ideally include an earth, but it's not necessary in that design. I personally wouldn't trust that product because of your heat-trip being unreliable, not because of the cable.
Thanks for that. Yes, the cable was probably OK at only 3 amps, but it felt very thin and weak. This kettle is one of my extreme energy saving devices for when my solar panels can't keep my batteries charged, so it won't do any harm to save a few watts from cable losses. I can run it along with most of my other stuff from my portable powerstations that can be charged with wind and solar power. I have about 12kwh of powerstation storage to cover me for when we get three or more dull winter days in a row. It only cost me about £2500 to save having to pay £6 each time that happens.