Scavenging escooter found apparently dead to make batteries?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I found one of the hated enemy fallen: a dead pink electric scooter on the side of the road, this one:

I'll see if anything can be salvaged, particularly the battery pack, which is likely the reason why it was dumped on the side of the road missing a seatpost? Could have been for some other reason of course, but I don't have a 24V charger for this to test. What would be LVC for this thing? Would a 12V laptop charger charge this to the point where I could test the battery?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery assuming 7s, Lvc then should be approx. 21v if Lion. If Lipo then min 23.1v but a safer LVC would be 24.5 v or higher .

Being a kids scooter it might not be 7s and could be 6s ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Battery assuming 7s, Lvc then should be approx. 21v if Lion. If Lipo then min 23.1v but a safer LVC would be 24.5 v or higher .
Thanks! I'd need to get a 24V charger to test, which is only worth it if I get a multivoltage, so I have a spare in case the one for my 36V battery dies, which I've been meaning to do anyway. No idea what's in this yet. Question is, will it set my home aflame? I may remove the battery and store it outside, just in case :eek:

Being a kids scooter it might not be 7s and could be 6s ?
I'll try and get into the thing later and let you know - the back wheel doesn't spin freely, I'm hoping some problem other than the battery has caused this to be dumped. If not, the motor might come in handy for something, send the rest to recycling.

Seems the only way to get at the battery, is by removing the plaform.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One assumes they use a D/D motor so it won't free wheel with out power.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Always wondered what was inside these things - the rear wheel is driven by a belt connected to the motor, no gears, just a twist and go throttle, three was on/off/charge toggle switch, no display, couple of puny little suspension springs on the back wheel.

I didn't want the possibility of dangerous batteries hanging around - screws and seatpost mount removed to remove platform, which revealed.... two 12V lead acid batteries! Phew! Also a bit of a bummer, because I could have made a small battery pack for my bike if it contained lithium ion. :(

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Lol sorry two springs: one springs back the brake cable, the other spring is for the stand. No suspension.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The brake cable is connected to the black object to the right, next to the rear wheel:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One assumes they use a D/D motor so it won't free wheel with out power.
The bigger wheeled escooters appear to have hub motors.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There's no motor cutoff via the brake that I can see, damned deathtrap. :mad: Maybe that's what happened?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There's a small box containing both BMS and controller I guess... I can open it up if anyone's interested. Otherwise I'll try and find a use for these 12V batteries in my garden shed to power lights or something else, if they're not dodos. Recycle the rest. I don't want to repair this to add yet another deathtrap on the road, or much more likely pavement.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The motor is an indirect motor of the type YALU sell on AliExp , typically used in go carts or trikes that use a belt/chain driver .

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have a water meter, if I didn't, maybe I could fashion a waterwheel and use the motor as a generator to very very slowly charge my bike, or to power lights during outages? There's bound to be some use for it - maybe it could power my roller blinds? Add another 120W to my bike via a fettle to my front wheel somehow? Illegal of course...

I'll try to charge the batteries, see if either or both are viable. Then I'll try the motor with a battery directly connected, if one is working.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The motor is an indirect motor of the type YALU sell on AliExp , typically used in go carts or trikes that use a belt/chain driver .
Maybe I could add a winch to the bike? It could pull itself up stairs a bit.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The brake cable is connected to the black object to the right, next to the rear wheel:

View attachment 50042
The black object is a Band Brake. It has a metal strap around a drum which when tightened self wraps around the drum to give the braking force. Horrible cheap things that squeal when dry and slip when greased.

SLA batteries are still normal and commonplace in Chinese mopeds and scooters.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It was looking at me. One 12V battery is 0.02V, the other zero. The controllers are only a tenner, if something's gone awry inside it. I'd be annoyed someone simply threw it away, if it wasn't a dangerous and illegal to use on pavement and road electric scooter!

Yes there is an ebrake - failed to spot a cable yesterday.

Or should I fix it and become the enemy (NEVER!!! :eek:), for when my bike breaks down and I have to get somewhere and all the buses and trains are on strike, rather than take a taxi? Could spray it bright orange, get a seat (or saw the seatpost attachment off - it's a tad small), add lights, lithium-ion batteries, look into overvolting, derestricting etc. I can see their appeal for providing cheap transport.

It's time to take everything off it which looks even remotely useful for my spare parts bin, and recycle the rest.

Looks like this one:

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A road legal pedelec must have pedals, and not provide power unless the pedals are turning (or <4mph or maybe some other details). Does the law require that the pedals are attached so they can mechanically propel the bike without motor power? If not that leaves open a huge range of possible legal designs for ghost pedalling with embryonic pedals.

For example a scooter with a guitar pedal; beat one foot at metronome mark 40 and coast along at 15.5 mph.
You can beat in time to the music you are listening to so loudly you are unaware of the traffic around you.

• :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For example a scooter with a guitar pedal; beat one foot at metronome mark 40 and coast along at 15.5 mph.
You can beat in time to the music you are listening to so loudly you are unaware of the traffic around you.
Sounds like a Stairway To Heaven to me

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bikes don't have to have pedals as leg amputees or paralysed users can use and ride hand cycles, that early stick propelled trike being so.
The main thing though is the vehicle driven is propelled by human power even if it is an assisted powered bike.

• Informative

Advertisers