RX/TX connection between A2B Kuo+ battery and controller

johnRN

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2022
Still trying to sort out my A2B Kuo + folding ebike.
All is good, throttle works fine, even when the 5-pin LCD is disconnected.
Troubles with the PAS, and so I have now acquired KT controller/display to replace some generic lcd/controller combination which may not be performing too well together.
The original controller appears to have had a sm connector (white green yellow) from the battery (separate from the main +/- power connectors).
I am not sure if this is still needed on a more modern controller/LCD combo, since there are other signal wires which might well be able to transmit/receive info between the battery and controller, such as battery state of charge.
I include piccies of the battery type and the connector for battery output, which shows the RX/TX output/input conns.

So, to repeat what Ive said, does the RX/TX conns at the battery need to be connected somehow to the KT controller, or can this be ignored ??

Attachments

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Your bike has a canbus system, so you will not have any joy in fitting an aftermarket controller unless you replace the battery management system.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
The battery may require a handshake etc with the controller but a KT controller is not equipped with the rx/tx comm lines wired in for use, nor would it have the correct protocols configured for communication in all likelihood.

If your battery has a bms that requires some codes or verification to start up, there are a couple of solutions, if someone has 'cracked' the code then a cheap 5v soc like an arduino clone could stand in and fake the required codes, or you could swap out the current bms for a regular one without the silly requirements built in.

johnRN

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2022
Your bike has a canbus system, so you will not have any joy in fitting an aftermarket controller unless you replace the battery management system.
I thought that it was too early (2011??) for a canbus system, and instead is UART protocol ....unless I'm totally wrong!
Need to check this out!

johnRN

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2022
The battery may require a handshake etc with the controller but a KT controller is not equipped with the rx/tx comm lines wired in for use, nor would it have the correct protocols configured for communication in all likelihood.

If your battery has a bms that requires some codes or verification to start up, there are a couple of solutions, if someone has 'cracked' the code then a cheap 5v soc like an arduino clone could stand in and fake the required codes, or you could swap out the current bms for a regular one without the silly requirements built in.
I always keep a look out for an original controller, but the bike came fitted with a typical generic Amazon special, coupled to an S866 LCD. As I said, throttle works fine, but PAS is ineffective although wheel speed increase (with throttle) as the PAS level i varied between 1-5.....so, it looks like battery start up is OK without any direct RX/TX connection. I already have KT controller and LCD kit, so I'll give it a try. Wish I had the original controller so I could see what the green/whire/yellow RX/TX connector is connected to

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I always keep a look out for an original controller, but the bike came fitted with a typical generic Amazon special, coupled to an S866 LCD. As I said, throttle works fine, but PAS is ineffective although wheel speed increase (with throttle) as the PAS level i varied between 1-5.....so, it looks like battery start up is OK without any direct RX/TX connection. I already have KT controller and LCD kit, so I'll give it a try. Wish I had the original controller so I could see what the green/whire/yellow RX/TX connector is connected to
Yes, it looks like your battery can work without comms, except it might still need to use the comms for charging, and if you have the right charger, that's no problem.

I'm thinking that a 2011 battery might not work very well if it's been used much. You can judge the range for yourself.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
the bike came fitted with a typical generic Amazon special,
Ahh, I missed that implication in your top post, my bad.. -Yes as saneagle says, if you have power to ride, all be it by throttle alone, your battery can provide power without the need of any superfluous comms so 'full speed ahead' I look forward to reports of a fully functional bike..

johnRN

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2022
Original charger, and that works fine ...cannot say if the battery is totally original, but it has been prvioulsy taken apart, because the paper 'seals' show thay have been cut ...not been inside to take a look. Other than that (on throttle) the range seems pretty reasonable, although not yet tested in any meaningful sense. ...maybe its been re-celled.
Its annoyong to see the sm connector for the RX/TX wires that obviously had a matching connector on the original controller. I'll see what happens when I fit the KT gear.

johnRN

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2022
Ahh, I missed that implication in your top post, my bad.. -Yes as saneagle says, if you have power to ride, all be it by throttle alone, your battery can provide power without the need of any superfluous comms so 'full speed ahead' I look forward to reports of a fully functional bike..
Hope so ...watch this space!