Review on Franks XIPI conversion kit

lee.pie

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
Here my review on Franks XIPI conversion kit that I have had now for 2 weeks and fitted myself.
My bike is a Giant XTC2 which I’ve had since 2005.

First of all delivery was quick, ordered the kit on a Thursday and it arrived the following Wednesday. My Dad ordered his kit from Japan and it took nearly 3 months to come. Mine turned up before his which he was jealous about.

On arrival: I opened the box to inspect the kit. It was well packaged and there were lots of different size bolts and spacers so it should work with most bikes and disc brakes.

The day of the fitting: I phoned Frank for help on fitting as there was no manual. Frank is in the process of making one up but in all fairness it wasn’t really necessary once I had spoken to Frank as he can easily explain over the phone what to do.
It took me most the day to fit as I wanted to get it right so i took my time.
The hardest bit was cutting the torque bracket/bar to size, as the kit come with quite a large triangular shaped piece of steel to accommodate most bike frames which needs to be cut to size. I used an angle grinder but if you’re not confidant in one then a hacksaw will do the job. I also spayed the bracket black as it thought it would look better but that’s personal choice. Aligning the brake disc was quite simple, which pleased me as I thought that would be the hardest bit, but I used the spacer provided and all was good.
If I ever did it again I think I could do it in about 3 hours, which would include spraying the torque bracket.

The fun bit: First I had a test ride to check all was well, my test ride ended up being about 10 miles long as I was having so much fun I got carried away. It rides up hills so well only needing the lightest of pedals for the real steep hills and I weigh 19 stone so am very pleased/surprised how well it goes.
I use it to and from work (11 miles each way in central London) with no problems and it now cuts my travel time down considerably, plus the saving on train fares means it will pay for itself in about 6 months.
I’ve also tried it out de restricted on private land and WOW it’s quick, does 30mph, it’s crazy. But best keep that power to off road and keep it restricted for road use.

I highly recommend the kit, especially if you can use it on private land de restricted like I can.

Here are some pictures; I’ll put more up when I get a chance to take more.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Thats a great donor bike. You now have a mean machine indeed. I'd colour co-ordinate the battery if I were you and put the bar ends back on! ... Your going to have so much fun. Look forward to a full review later ...
Well done lee.pie and Frank.

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Hi Lee.Pie

Great donor bike indeed, got a question. How many speeds do you now have 7,8 or 9? and do you have a cassette or freewheel fitted on that motor.

lee.pie

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
Thanks kitchenman & Andy. :D

kitchenman I've taken your advise and sprayed the battery housing black. I think it looks much better now. I can't put the bar ends back on as the twist grip throttle has a sealed end on it and i don't want to cut it in case it damages the throttle.

@ Andy, I now have a 8 speed cassette on the motor, it already came with that on with the kit. My original cassette was a 9 speed so I've lost 3 gears in all. The gear that is missing is only the largest low range gear which I'll never need now i have a motor.

Last edited:

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Great looking bike, you made a really good job.
I agree with kitchenman about the box needing paint, but the bar ends are pretty pointless with a twistgrip control.
Frank will probably get more sales from your thread than all his:rolleyes:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Great looking bike, you made a really good job.
I agree with kitchenman about the box needing paint, but the bar ends are pretty pointless with a twistgrip control.
Frank will probably get more sales from your thread than all his:rolleyes:
Bar ends are needed as the best place for cameras is on the grips! ..
Bar_ends - a set on Flickr

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Looks a really cool bike, what voltage and wattage (and price) was your kit?

kudos

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2011
With the motor, battery and controller all at the back, do you find the handling of the bike is negatively impacted at all?

lee.pie

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
With the motor, battery and controller all at the back, do you find the handling of the bike is negatively impacted at all?
When running with motor i don't notice it, i've had some good motor bike style leans on the bike with it being no problems. However when just peddling it is a bit of a pig as it's pretty heavy, so i'm not looking forward to the day the battery runs out and i'm miles from home.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Could you show a close up of the torque bracket / bar. I am looking to fit somthing to secure a Bionx to my Trek 6000 and it may give me a clue.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Lee, it look smuch better with the battery painted black. It almost looks like a hybrid with those skinny tyres. I bet you're a roady at heart!

lee.pie

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
Could you show a close up of the torque bracket / bar. I am looking to fit somthing to secure a Bionx to my Trek 6000 and it may give me a clue.
Sorry it's taken so long to reply but i've been flat out at work plus i've got a 3 month old baby too that takes up a lot of time.

Here's the photo's you requested;

As you can (hopefully) see i used a bolt to hold the torque bracket to the fame by using the bolt that hold the calliper on, as i didn't want to drill into my frame. I had to buy a longer bolt from Screwfix but didn't cost much.

I was hoping to do the same the other side and use the bolt that holds the Rear Dérailleur on, but i couldn't find an appropriate bolt for the job. The torque bracket is still attached the the battery rack anyway and there is no moment so all seems good.

@ Caph; i have got off road tyres too but there aren't getting much off a look in lately with just having a baby and all that.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
So in the top picture it goes Nut, washer, torque bracket, washer and then frame? Thanks for the effort but I have had to return the Bionx as the drop out on the Trek 6000 was just too shallow to retain the Bionx anti spin device and that was to narrow to push out passed the frame to add a torque bracket. I am back to plan 'C' and waiting on a Daahub.

lee.pie

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
Thats right, Nut, washer, torque bracket, washer and then frame. The top goes, socket cap screw, battery rack, torque bracket, washer, frame, washer, calliper.

Do like the look of the Daahub, enjoy.