Replacement Bike and Kit

not dave

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Hi,

Had my bike stole - it was a Whyte Dorset with a TSDZ2 motor (80 Nm torque) and a 17ah 48v battery (816 Wh).
The bike was mainly used for errands and commuting, but occasionally for the longer ride (up to 35 miles, but would like capacity for a 50).

My employer has a cycle to work scheme, so very tempted to go with that as you get an approx 50% saving on a new bike, so very tempting.
But, those bikes look very new and expensive. I would be quite worried about leaving those bikes anywhere, I think they would turn any chiefs eye.

So alternatively also considering getting a similar bike and converting myself again. A couple of questions.
- What are currently considered the best motors?
- Are there any systems where you can use multiple batteries? For 90% of my journeys, a small battery would be plenty, but I would want to have the opportunity for a high capacity to be added if I desired.
- Are there any systems that have a small controller / display. One of my pet hates of the TSDZ2 was the stupidly big controller / display. All I need is a small display that shows battery and power level. Surely if I wanted a larger screen, I could use my phone as a display connected via bluetooth.
- Are there any bikes that are considered great donor bikes? I am thinking particularly on frame strength and the gearing used. The Dorset and similar bikes use 11-32, which when you have a single chainring on the front is much narrower than the 10-51 you now see on some electric touring bikes.

PS, I am also posting a thread in the electric bikes forum asking what would be a good of the peg replacement for the Whyte Dorset.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kt controllers one can use the minute lcd4 or bafang use the similar size sw102.
LCD4 can display odo, trip miles ,total miles, PAS level, voltage and has battery level.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
- Are there any systems where you can use multiple batteries? For 90% of my journeys, a small battery would be plenty, but I would want to have the opportunity for a high capacity to be added if I desired.
Simplest is two identical batteries so that they definitely use the same mount. Short ride, take one. Long ride, take both. Very long ride, take bath, and two 4A chargers.

More complicated solutions are available!

Edit: both, not bath.

not dave

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Simplest is two identical batteries so that they definitely use the same mount. Short ride, take one. Long ride, take both. Very long ride, take bath, and two 4A chargers.

More complicated solutions are available!

Edit: both, not bath.
I think that might work!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Simplest display is an led. Gives you 5 leds for battery voltage and 5 leds for power level setting. Then just an up and down button.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Certainly not bath ... see the recent thread on smoking battery after dip in the canal.
I made myself laugh with that typo, couldn't bear to change it!

Yes I saw the canal incident. My Shimano battery and mount seem very well protected, and so far no issues in a winter of all weather commuting and much rain. The generic batteries in my experimental systems will need extra protection I think.