Removing speed limiter

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's obviously a new compliant model with controller that isn't de-restrictable.
If you can't adjust speed via the display them the limit is set and is a en15194 complaint bike.

Denny_uk

Just Joined
Jan 29, 2021
I’m looking to do the same for an e-plus folding bike, which looks very similar. 24v 250w and no obvious white wire either. I’ve seen on other posts about a HI GND and LO marked on some circuitboards and bridging between HI and Ground with a switch gives the option of legal or private land use. Will take a look inside my controller over the weekend and see if any of the above applies. Let me know if it works or you find an alternative method :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I’m looking to do the same for an e-plus folding bike, which looks very similar. 24v 250w and no obvious white wire either. I’ve seen on other posts about a HI GND and LO marked on some circuitboards and bridging between HI and Ground with a switch gives the option of legal or private land use. Will take a look inside my controller over the weekend and see if any of the above applies. Let me know if it works or you find an alternative method :)
Even if it worked, it would be a complete waste of time. 12A at 24v won't give you enough power to go past 15mph. Show us what control panel you have.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
It's obviously a new compliant model with controller that isn't de-restrictable.
If you can't adjust speed via the display them the limit is set and is a en15194 complaint bike.
I've seen so any people online with unrestricted bikes/s-pedelecs...shouldn't the owners have to register them as a moped?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What e-bikers should or shouldn't do is up to them, the chances of being stopped are very small and as we saw in the Dalston case they didn't opt to enforce the law. The rider riding ( what appeared to be a 1kw hub or more ) was taken to court for unlawful killing and was found not guilty, he was lucky because if they had prosecuted him for the illegality he would have been found guilty.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017 and sjpt

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Im quite chummy with our county's head of roads policing. He tells me they don't finger many on illegal ebikes - it's hardly a major priority - but they do catch them and do put the odd one before a court. Our county's traffic officers get training input on the subject, and trained to recognise dongles and hidden 'delimit' switches, etc.

The risk is small, but is genuine. I have to obey the law in all respects with my motor vehicles and I expect others to do the same. The law tells us that it is not their choice to ride illegal ebikes - they simply must not do so.

And finally, its all grist to the mill for the cycling and ebike hating Mail reading masses. The more people get caught, the more evidence there is of a "problem", the more likely that us legal ebike riders will get clobbered with even more onerous restrictions.

In the case of Dalston he wasn't charged with the motoring offences as it was deemed by the CPS to be "two bites of the cherry", to some degree charging him twice with similar, or at least overlapping, offences. Neverless, he took the life of an innocent person while riding like a tool on an illegal bike, and that alone must surely be justification for any sane person to simply do as they are supposed to for a change.

At best it's selfish, at worst it can have serious consequences. If you want to go quicker by a moped or a speed pedelec and get properly documented like everyone else has to.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Im quite chummy with our county's head of roads policing. He tells me they don't finger many on illegal ebikes - it's hardly a major priority - but they do catch them and do put the odd one before a court.
If they put them before the courts, they must have been found not guilty. Can you find or show us a single case where someone was convicted. Either your friendly policeman is telling porkies or you are.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i did a google search i did, uk ebike convictions.

i dont take any notice of police on the road im going 30mph on the pavement :p

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In the Dalston collision the women stepped out in front of the rider giving him little chance to stop or miss her, no matter if the bike was legal she would have still been hit most likely. Though speed was likely a contributing factor in that the women hadn't anticipated the closing distance, it was found the women was the contributory factor in causing the collision.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Im quite chummy with our county's head of roads policing. He tells me they don't finger many on illegal ebikes - it's hardly a major priority - but they do catch them and do put the odd one before a court. Our county's traffic officers get training input on the subject, and trained to recognise dongles and hidden 'delimit' switches, etc.

The risk is small, but is genuine. I have to obey the law in all respects with my motor vehicles and I expect others to do the same. The law tells us that it is not their choice to ride illegal ebikes - they simply must not do so.

And finally, its all grist to the mill for the cycling and ebike hating Mail reading masses. The more people get caught, the more evidence there is of a "problem", the more likely that us legal ebike riders will get clobbered with even more onerous restrictions.

In the case of Dalston he wasn't charged with the motoring offences as it was deemed by the CPS to be "two bites of the cherry", to some degree charging him twice with similar, or at least overlapping, offences. Neverless, he took the life of an innocent person while riding like a tool on an illegal bike, and that alone must surely be justification for any sane person to simply do as they are supposed to for a change.

At best it's selfish, at worst it can have serious consequences. If you want to go quicker by a moped or a speed pedelec and get properly documented like everyone else has to.
Totally agree with this

• Agree
Reactions: Phil Dryden
D

daltonbourne

Getting rid of a speed limiter is a simple process, you just have to remove the e-bike speed limiter wire from your equipment. It is usually found at the controller and normally comes as a single wire. After removing the wire, your bicycle now lacks the e-bike speed limit, and you are free to enjoy its full speed.

D

daltonbourne

Getting rid of a speed limiter is a simple process, you just have to remove the e-bike speed limiter wire from your equipment. It is usually found at the controller and normally comes as a single wire. After removing the wire, your bicycle now lacks the e-bike speed limit, and you are free to enjoy its full speed.
The first process is probably the easiest way to remove the speed limiter on your bike. If your electric bike has limiting wire installed, you just have to remove the e-bike speed limiter wire from your equipment

Kizzmirazz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2022
The first process is probably the easiest way to remove the speed limiter on your bike. If your electric bike has limiting wire installed, you just have to remove the e-bike speed limiter wire from your equipment
Not all ebikes have a wire to just unplug mine is a cheap controller covered in resin and who knows what wire to cut if possible to derestrict it help lol