Recommend me an e-bike

BatteryBike-Agemo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 26, 2019
Hi,

I’m new to the battery cycle world.

I’ve had some pedal cycles in the past, But for various reasons I’ve not been on one in roughly 10 years.

I live in an area where there are hardly any flat surface roads, Mostly hills of some kind, some not so bad, but generally there are a lot in whichever direction I go.

Ideally I’d like a bike that is capable of around 50 miles range, But my ride would be generally around 2 - 8 miles, Especially while I get back into cycling slowly.

It needs to be a comfortable position, As in sitting upright, not like a racing bike.

Have the option of a throttle if and when that maybe needed.

Top speed from what I gather is limited by law to 15.5 MPH , But from some of the brands I’ve looked at so far there are some brands that can achieve around 20 mph , 28 mph , 38 mph etc... Using a key to unlock “off road mode” otherwise they go the legal limit etc.. But it would be nice to have the option to go more than 15.5 MPH. Although I’m sure 15.5 MPH will be enough. Just would be a nice option.

My height 5ft 8 , weight 16.4 stone.

So far I’ve come to the conclusion Woosh BigBear would be the choice go for, It’s good value for money and seems to get good reviews etc...

Budget (as little as possible naturally) But I’d say £2,000.

Are there any other recommendations.

It’s not something I’m going to use everyday, More like on the weekends.

Many thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Cube Touring or Raleigh Motus might do you; nearer the top of the budget. Certainly no throttle on those.
Woosh BigBear you mention, or one of the Santanas would be cheaper and still good quality. Also look at Kudos.

Reactions: BatteryBike-Agemo

BatteryBike-Agemo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 26, 2019
Yeah, From what I can tell, Woosh seems to be the best choice for around £900-£1,400 and tbh that’s enough to pay for a e-bike for what i’ll be using it for.

I do like the look / spec on some of the crazy expensive models that can be had out there. I did see one that looked awesome for £6,995 sold by a store near London i believe called “Fully Charged”... I can’t recall the bike model now but it kinda looked like an old motorcycle.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A woosh bike will be as good as you will get for the money, but don't rule out your local bike shop.

Most now stock £1,000 Chinese bikes - same as woosh - but with the advantage of local service. always assuming the shop is a decent one.

Reactions: Woosh

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
My local bike shop is getting more and more ebikes - but the ones I can see are all expensive mountain bike types. Not really surprising as it is a very small shop with little display area!
If I was looking for a new one I would just go in and ask them what they can get for a lower price - I'm sure they would help out.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Most now stock £1,000 Chinese bikes
have you seen what you can get for £1,000 in the shop since the EU puts on anti-dumping duty on Chinese e-bikes?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
have you seen what you can get for £1,000 in the shop since the EU puts on anti-dumping duty on Chinese e-bikes?
I've not checked in the last day or two, but I'm sure my local bike shop has hub motor Ebcos for £1,000.

A reasonable buy, although some of your bikes may have later/slightly higher grade electrical bits.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've not checked in the last day or two, but I'm sure my local bike shop has hub motor Ebcos for £1,000.

A reasonable buy, although some of your bikes may have later/slightly higher grade electrical bits.
their bestselling UCL-30 and UCR-30 with front hub motor now sell for £1,299.
there is no more price advantage to Chinese made e-bikes.
I am forced to assemble my bikes in Southend to avoid anti dumping duty and keep cost down. Still, it adds £75 to each bike.