Rear Wheel control box Question

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
so i have a 500w 36v rear wheel trike at the minute. i'm changing it to a 250w to make it legal. everything apart from the wheel will be the same. problem i have is there slightly different on the control boxes. the 500w comes with an lcd display (5 wires) ans a throttle (3 wires) and the 250 comes with a throttle controller with 6 wires.

so my first question is can i use the 500w controller and will it be ok with a 250w wheel.

my second question and i will add some picture. can a use the 250w control box with a lcd display by changing the wires.
so picture 1 is the 500 and pic 2 is the 250.

im guessing the red white and black are the throttle wires on both.

this is a guess but i would think connect the 5 wires from the 500 and leave the white out. the blue wire would be the brown wire on the 250. but what do i do with the red and black.

any help thanks

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
so my first question is can i use the 500w controller and will it be ok with a 250w wheel.
that depends on the model of the 250w wheel. Some motors are robust enough to take more currrent, many are not.

my second question and i will add some picture. can a use the 250w control box with a lcd display by changing the wires.
so picture 1 is the 500 and pic 2 is the 250.
you should show the labels on both controllers. The 6 wire connectors don't give enough information.It is dangerous to blindly test by plugging parts together without a wiring diagram to identify the signal wires.

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
It is dangerous to blindly test by plugging parts together without a wiring diagram to identify the signal wires.[/QUOTE]

this is why i did a post first, i can hazard a guess but it doesn't mean my guess is right. to be honest i may just use the 500w controller, and restrict the speed. or even just look out for a 250w led controller.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you keep the same wheel, then continue with the 500W kit.
Changing the controller does not make the kit legal.
What makes it legal is a 250W label and a working speed limiter to cut the power when speed reaches 25kph.
The LCD and controller need to use the same communication protocol, otherwise, only the battery meter and the on/off function that don't need the protocol will continue to work, the other functions relying on communicating with the controller (speedo, assist levels, wheel diameter, trip counter etc) won't work.
I guess the 6 wire connector goes to a combined LED panel + throttle which don't use digital communication.
If you have bought the LED panel with the 15A controller then I doubt that you could demonstrate that your bike is legal because it does not have a speed limiter nor can it be made to work with your LCD.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
That 250 watt controller looks like a very basic model. It will not be speed limited, so even with a 250w motor, will no be legal. Your easiest option is to remove the 500w sticker from your existing motor, set your speed limit to 14.5 mph on your lcd display and you are good to go.

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
so maybe was mis understood a little. i had no intention of leaving th e 500w rear wheel on, ive already but a 250w wheel on so as long as i restrict the speed to 15.5 quite legal now.

so also it will have a lcd screen where the speed can be limited. i was looking to save a few pennys by using one of the two control boxes i have. but already know that i can get a 250w control box that will work with the screen and wheel. so my options are use the 500w control box and hope the wheel can withstand it or buy a 250w control box. pulling stickers opf and hiding a 500w wheel just makes it look legal when its not. being a 500w wouldn't bother me but i'm donging it to sell off so want it legal.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's no limit on power that you give to the motor. The controller you showed is 22 amps. Most 250w hub-motors can handle 22A without problems. It's a KT controller too, which uses current control. You only get maximum current on level 5, so you can just use levels 1 to 4. Also there's a setting for max current in the LCD that allows you to turn it down a bit if you want.

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
so, i'm ordering a 250w wheel and control box when they come in. i'll just get the extra control box as well keeps the job right. i'm having a big clear out so just trying to make the bikes and recumbants that are going legal. lol

Advertisers