Rear hub motor

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all
Is there anyway of checking if my rear hub motor works on carrera vengeance e spec bike by removing it from wheel
Thank you
Ian
Put The axle/torque arm in a vice, then connect it to a controller. Do not attempt to fire it up while holding the axle, even with a spanner or mole grips. The torque reaction will jump it out and twist the cable.

ian slater

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2024
Hi saneagle
So in theory by clamping the crank/torque arm in vice and firing up the centre should spin between cassette and torque arm
Thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi saneagle
So in theory by clamping the crank/torque arm in vice and firing up the centre should spin between cassette and torque arm
Thanks
If the axle is steady and the magnets don't touch the stator, it should be OK, otherwise put the side back on.

ian slater

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2024
Hi
From what you have said and me trying these things i think motor has packed up.Thanm you for your help.
Regards
Ian

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi
From what you have said and me trying these things i think motor has packed up.Thanm you for your help.
Regards
Ian
There won't be anything wrong with the motor. It looks like it doesn't even have hall sensors, which are just about the only things that ever fail. How many pins are there in the connector?

Have you cut that motor open or does it come apart like that?

ian slater

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2024
Hi
I just took the 6 bolts out and the motor came out in one as in photo,as regards the connector plug it as 3 big pins with 5 smaller pins below and 3 smaller pins above
Thanks
Ps as you are an avid biker what are good electric mountain bikes to buy
Regards
Ian

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi
I just took the 6 bolts out and the motor came out in one as in photo,as regards the connector plug it as 3 big pins with 5 smaller pins below and 3 smaller pins above
Thanks
Ps as you are an avid biker what are good electric mountain bikes to buy
Regards
Ian
11 pins altogether? Are you sure? They're normally 9 or less.

All electric mountain bikes are good in their own way. What do you want to do with one?

ian slater

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2024
I just want something decent to get to work and back really,was told to look at ones around 80-85 torque.Would that be right and what would you suggest in this field
Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I just want something decent to get to work and back really,was told to look at ones around 80-85 torque.Would that be right and what would you suggest in this field
Thanks
Any electric bike will get you to work and back, and you can forget about 85nm torque. 30 should be enough; however, nobody knows what it means. The numbers are made up and have no basis and can't be compared. Nobody even knows where it's supposed to be measured. If you're less than 90kg, 36v should be enough, and if you're more than 100kg, you really need 48v. Without knowing anything about you or your rides, it's not really possible to say much more than that. As an ebiker of 14 years, I have a pretty good idea of how much power you need for any particular set of circumstances.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0078_02.JPG

5k nhs upgrade titanium rods

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I am 75kg, been looking at haibike, trek powerfly and specialized.Any others i should consider
I wouldn't consider any of those for riding to work. I'd choose something like this. You get another £50 off with a coupon, which should pay for you to get some decent mudguards and a round of drinks to celebrate with your mates:

A bit more expensive, but better support:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
haibike, trek powerfly and specialized
All those you mention have Bosch system which is a locked in one. Think Apple. You can only get repairs/service done at the place you bought it from. If anything goes wrong with the motor the 'service agent' can only take it out and send it back to Germany, leaving you without a bike for the duration. Out of guarentee, batteries and motors are highly overpriced, as is the bike in the first instance.
I would go with saneagles' recommendation and look at the Woosh Camino. Whilst you can't test ride (unless you can get to Southend) their customer service is well respected here.
A rear hub motor will serve you well for commuting, they are practically bullet proof. All the parts, on both the bikes linked, are generic, easily obtainable and user replaceable.
Be kind to your pocket.