Raleigh Array repair or upgrade

mumdungus

Just Joined
Aug 7, 2022
Hi All,

I have a Raleigh Array that I brought to commute to work. I bought it the week before the Covid lockdown started, and only returned to the office a couple of weeks ago. So although I've owned it for over two years (so out of warranty), I've only used it about a dozen times total.

I charged it on Tuesday after returning home from work. After charging, it now displays a fault code 34 (Batter voltage error), and refuses to work normally. I've measured the voltage, its showing 41.3v across the main pins on the battery. There are 3 other wired pins in the battery connector, each at different voltages (25.8, 3 and 0). I have no idea what these pins are for, but google suggests that 41.3v is normal for a fully charged 36v battery.

The owners manual suggests I might need a new battery, but I'm suspecting it might be a problem with the controller, rather than the battery.
From my research, the electrical parts are Suntour. I don't really want to take a gamble on either a new battery or controller if I can help it. Both are expensive.

I'm wondering whether it might be do-able and a lot cheaper to replace the controller with an aftermarket one.

I'm hoping to get some advice from you guys, either on repair or upgrade options.

What would I need to know in order to find a suitable controller, that's compatible with the motor?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
41.3v is a bit low and one expects you have a low voltage in one of the 10 battery cell groups, hence the error 34. The BMS is detecting a fault so will not allow it to switch on to work. As the battery has extra voltage pins it indicates that it uses extra protocols for charging /connection so can not use a generic type battery.

The only way to know what is occurring is for it to be opened and all 10 cell groups checked for voltage.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
The problems with ebikes is the battery
If it is not kept properly charged then they degrade quite badly and need to be replaced and your low usage would imply that it has been sitting unused for quite a long time between charges
This could have damaged the cells.

Hence they need to be replaced in some way. If you are up to it you can take the advise above and test each cell group. If not then either replace the battery or get it tested and/or recelled by a professional

Vin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 24, 2019
Hi All,

I have a Raleigh Array that I brought to commute to work. I bought it the week before the Covid lockdown started, and only returned to the office a couple of weeks ago. So although I've owned it for over two years (so out of warranty), I've only used it about a dozen times total.

I charged it on Tuesday after returning home from work. After charging, it now displays a fault code 34 (Batter voltage error), and refuses to work normally. I've measured the voltage, its showing 41.3v across the main pins on the battery. There are 3 other wired pins in the battery connector, each at different voltages (25.8, 3 and 0). I have no idea what these pins are for, but google suggests that 41.3v is normal for a fully charged 36v battery.

The owners manual suggests I might need a new battery, but I'm suspecting it might be a problem with the controller, rather than the battery.
From my research, the electrical parts are Suntour. I don't really want to take a gamble on either a new battery or controller if I can help it. Both are expensive.

I'm wondering whether it might be do-able and a lot cheaper to replace the controller with an aftermarket one.

I'm hoping to get some advice from you guys, either on repair or upgrade options.

What would I need to know in order to find a suitable controller, that's compatible with the motor?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Hi, I bought a Raleigh Array through my work cycle to work plan about the same time and it needed an adjustment to the brakes. The company I bought it through suggesting taking it into Halfords and they would probably do it for free (even though Halfords weren't part of the cycle to work scheme). They did the adjustments for free and we bought a carrera e vengeance womens electric bike through them shortly afterwards.
The batteries are interchangeable and I take them both on a long run.
It may be worth talking to/ taking the bike to Halfords and they may be able to check the battery at least on one of the ebikes if they still have the models that use this type of battery

theabsurdman

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
The Carrera Vengeance doesn't need a special battery and I suspect the Array doesn't either. Try it and see!

Advertisers