Query re turning on Bosch system

Steveu

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have an ebike with a second generation Bosch motor and rack mounted battery. All works well (despite its age) except for one glitch. The Intuvia display switches on and off OK but the e-assist is only switched on if the intuvia is switched on whilst pressing the button on the battery. Once I have done that, all works as it should until it is turned off and the same thing has to be done next time it is turned on. Does anyone have any thoughts on what is causing this issue?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We have a similar setup. It has been very good apart from some oddities possibly related to what you ask.

We generally never use the button on the battery. Occasionally it won't start or even stops while running. We put that down to connection problems (battery rack and/or Intuvia), but later found that turning on the battery resolved it. We hadn't explicitly turned the battery off; it did that itself, we never tracked down the exact situation that caused it. We would have had the Intuvia on when turning on the battery in this situation.

The battery is easy to mount wrong (poor mount design), so there is a connection even when the battery is not correctly in place. However, the connection is then easily lost going over potholes etc. Make sure when mounting the battery that there is no play of the battery on the rack. I suspect having the battery wrongly mounted this way can't do any good to the connections, though we haven't observed any long term bad effects.

There is also poor connection with the Intuiva in its holder; again bad design which I think was resolved with a later version of the Intuvia mount. Resolved by cleaning the contacts and maybe wiggling the display a tiny bit.

Steveu

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2007
Oxfordshire
Yes, I think you're right; it's probably either a poor connection somewhere (most likely between the intuvia and the holder) or, perhaps, a weak battery in the intuvia. I've not had any problems with the connection between the battery and the rack mount but good idea to check that too.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id dump it and get a purion display and save a few kg, a kiox display will also work as have one on my gen 2 cx motor.

Advertisers