Pro Connect Feels Rough

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Just got back from a bike ride and on my way started to feel as if something wasn't quite right with power supplied when I put extra pressure on pedals. Feels like it sometimes misses and a bit 'grinding'.
At first I thought it might be the rear hub but when I turn power off bike changes gear and rides very smoothly. The bike has only done 120 miles. Looks like I'll have to have a chat with 50 Cycles - shame as we were going to take our 2 bikes down to Bath this week. My wife has the Agattu bought at the same time and rides beautifully.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
That is a shame. I had some grinding which turned out to be an issue with the free wheel component of my hub. When the motor was not engaged there was no grinding but when I applied the assit then the grinding would start .. My bike was overdue a service at about 9 months old and had been abused through the winter months ... How long have you had your bikes? Do you store them inside the house? Do you use a lubricant on your rear hub?

C

Cyclezee

Just got back from a bike ride and on my way started to feel as if something wasn't quite right with power supplied when I put extra pressure on pedals. Feels like it sometimes misses and a bit 'grinding'.
At first I thought it might be the rear hub but when I turn power off bike changes gear and rides very smoothly. The bike has only done 120 miles. Looks like I'll have to have a chat with 50 Cycles - shame as we were going to take our 2 bikes down to Bath this week. My wife has the Agattu bought at the same time and rides beautifully.
This sounds like the symtoms of a battery connection problem, but with only 120 miles on the clock, that would be unusal:confused:

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Temp. Repair To Pro Connect

I have managed to temporarily repair fault. My son rode my 2 week old Pro Connect and I rode along side. I noticed every time he said it felt rough chain appeared to jump. On closer inspection it was the small jockey wheel after the motor sprocket that was slipping occasionally. The strange thing is that it never slipped when power was turned off.

My temporary repair consists of a cable tie fixed in a way to give more tension on the chain. It's as if the chain could do with a link being taken out. With cable tie in place bike rides smoothly as expected and when removed starts to slip again.

I phoned 50 Cycles and their mechanic seemed stumped as to the problem. Because I'm fairly mechanically minded I have managed to find a solution but I'm am a bit peeved to be fiddling around on a bike that is only 2 weeks old.

Attachments

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Are you sure it is not the motor sprocket jockey wheel/tensioner that wraps the chain around the motor sprocket? It could be that it is now static on your bike but in the good old days it used to be spring loaded and would need a bit of grease to free it up. I would be surprised if the new tensioner on the gear hub has gone slack or is sticky. Obviously doesn't apply if it is a fixed sprocket (as it is on all the derailleurs) and I would be surprised it this was still a problem on new bikes. You will have to take the guard off to check if it is working or have a good peer underneath.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I wonder if there is a stiff link in the chain as well that could cause this...

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Stiff link already? As stated bike is only 2 weeks old. I can't see any other tensioner to adjust. Puzzle is as to why does bike ride ok with no power?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
It is under the chainguard and wraps the chain around the motor sprocket. It is not strictly speaking a tensioner and may be static on your bike or have come loose.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Stiff link already? As stated bike is only 2 weeks old. I can't see any other tensioner to adjust. Puzzle is as to why does bike ride ok with no power?
As HarryB mentions, there is a chain guide under the chain guard. On my older Pro Connect, this is spring loaded and can stiffen up if not lubricated. On flecc's website, there is a dimension from the centre of the guide sprocket to the centre of the motor drive sprocket given. It might be worth looking this up and checking it. Also examine the guide for free movement if it is of the spring loaded type.

If it is the motor sprocket jumping, this would be consistent with your experience with power on versus power off.

Edit: The dimension is 60-65 mm. Details here

Last edited:

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
On the new Pro Connect it doesn't appear to have this tensioner - not one that can be adjusted anyway. On looking at 'Fleccs' website, pictures show a different kind of adjustment, I think possibly from an older style machine perhaps?

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
It does have a mechanism to wrap the chain around the motor sprocket - as I said it might not be spring loaded but it is there. Possibly it has come loose or something trapped in the sprocket? The fact that you are adding tension and it cures the problem points to this device.

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
The mechanism is there but as already stated is not adjustable. The mechansism is fully tightened and sprocket is completely clear of any debris and runs smoothly. I should have posted pics of item to illustrate my point more clearly. I've just got back from a 15mile round trip to Wimbledon, my temporary repair seems to be doing the trick, bike rides beautifully again.

We are off to Bath for a 4day break and the bike will get a good work out. I'll make sure I take some extra cable ties with me!!

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I have the same Panasonic unit as you then so no need for pictures to illustrate your point. You said there was no such mechanism that is why I was confused. I suppose it is possible that your bike was built with the wrong chain length installed unless there is a way of adjusting the tension. It does sound like it is skipping on the motor sprocket.

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Thanks for all your input everyone. I shall persevere and see how bike performs but as I keep saying it's only a two week old bike and just covered 120 miles so this shouldn't be happening. Anyone who wasn't mechanically able would have been very dissapointed but with my 'fix' at least I'm able to enjoy it. I shall be on the phone to 50 Cycles when I return from Bath - not the easiest company to get through to though!

C

Cyclezee

Hi Rob,

Which Pro Connect model is it? Interesting to see Kalkhoff are using Sturmey Archer components.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I got a PC Disc in Feb. and I haven't been happy with the sprocket/chain running. It is just as you describe. I hadn't thought of turning the power off as you mentioned but I did today and it runs perfectly smoothly.

I had the chain coming off about a month ago and found the vertical arm chain guide shown in your photos was very loose. Tightening it up solved that problem but I have now pushed it back furthur to take up chain slack but it is still rough sounding and I get an odd vibrating feeling through the pedals under power. I am aware of the noise atracting attention as I cycle along and I feel like something is going to break at any time.
I hope this can be resolved as it is spoilng the ebike experience of an otherwise great bike.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Hi,

I had a similar experience last year, which turned out to be due to a mixture of loose chain guide and, because of the problem that caused, a stiff chain link. I fixed the chain guide properly, put a new removable chain link in, and lubed it all - result happiness and no problems since.

I was surprised about the chain link - it wasn't very stiff, but it was just enough to make it run really rough under load.

Good luck to both of you.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
What I thought odd about the picture of robelee's pro connect is that it shows a chain with a split link and I would have assumed it would be a continuous chain as my Agattu was. I still think that the chain is too long and should be shortened by taking out a link or so. That way the tensioner would have more tension and the motor sprocket would be less likely to jump. With Deraileurs there is a risk with the chain being too short (when using the largests sprockets) but this wouldn't be a problem with hub gears. Shouldn't be necessary in a new bike of course.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
My PCS chain has a replaceable link and it doesn't cause any issues, also I did mention the possibility of a stiff link earlier in the thread... ;)