Pro Connect Disc - Frame size and stability

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
I had a test ride yesterday on the Pro Connect Disc. The bike itself was very impressive. I managed to get up some ridiculously steep hills in Richmond that I could have never even looked at when I was young. Let alone a very unfit 53 year old. Brakes in particular are worthy of comment with power and feel. I have one question regarding frame size and stability. The frame size was 50cm. The handle bars were at the highest setting with the three collars in place. The seat was set at a comfortable height for my 31.5" inside leg. Each time I looked over my shoulder to check for cars, the bike seemed to be very unstable and a wobble set in. I felt that I was too far forward on the bike and that the frame might be too short handlebars to saddle.

I should add that this is the first time I have been on a bike for about ten years. I used to be quite confident. Is it me or the frame size ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it's just not being used to it. The differences on an e-bike can make it unlike an ordinary bike in many ways. The extra weight makes for a different balance feel, and the power response to the pedal thrusts on the Panasonic unit can result in a different drive forward action.

Like many in here, I'm a firm advocate of rear view mirrors and think them the best of any bike safety features. One on the right hand bar will make your riding much more pleasant as well as safer.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
I thought as much

Thanks Flecc. I thought as much. I agree about a wing mirror. Having been a motorcylist for many years I kept looking for the mirror and then did the 'life saver' look over my shoulder.

I have to give praise to the quality of the bike though. Very impressive.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
A short stem would explain the wobble. The shorter the stem the more easily you can turn the bike, and the converse is true. I've recently switched from a 110mm stem which was too long for me, to a 50mm stem which is better suited to me and the difference in steerability was very noticable. It's no coincidence that mountain bikes designed for technical trails have a short stem.

The frame size won't make any difference on its own. It's the angles of the tubes that make the difference. For example I ride a 17inch full suspension bike and a 21inch standard frame and the 17inch affords me more reach with the same sized stem.