Pedal-assist on Road Bike or Hybrid Bike?

pdg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 26, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
The Bionx PL-350 'pedal assist' is my choice for an e-Bike; now to decide if it goes on an old or new bike. Any advice on this option would be appreciated.

A long time cyclist, I'm a big old guy ... a 'baby boomer' and 6' 5" / 260 lbs big. I hope to commute 12 Km each direction to work on paved semi-rural roads with rolling hills and often some pretty strong prevailing winds.

One choice is to fit the Bionx to my Fiori road bike (pictured below) because it is an extra-tall and strong frame, and I'm accoustomed to riding it. It is a late-80s bike with a 27" wheel and 130 mm dropout -- fitting the Bionx to a 27" wheel requires a custom-built rim because the Bionx normally comes configured for 26" or 700C with a 135 mm drop out. I know a very cooperative bike shop that will build a custom rim for me.

Another choice is to fit the Bionx to a new large-framed hybrid with a 700C wheel and a 135 mm dropout, using today's technology. Modifications would be minimal and installation fairly easy. But I've never ridden a hybrid and wonder if it will be as comfortable as the Fiori on regular commutes.

Advice on these options?

Thanks, PDG

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry pdg, not exactly a rush to respond, though that's probably because this sort of choice is so personal.

Although my own choice would be a more upright riding position as in a hybrid, I can't help but feel that you should stick with what you know and like since, as you've said, it's strong so would take the minor additional stresses of the added motor.

That's also got the benefit of much lower initial cost. If for some reason you did decide to change your mind later, the additional cost would only be a second wheel build, not too disastrous an amount.

Ultimately though, a lot depends on why you use the drop handlebar position. If it's purely for the advantage it gives when applying effort to pedalling, the fact that you won't need that advantage to anything like the same degree with the motor assist might mean you'd be happier to sit up and relax more. You may be able to decide that from the amount of time you spend at present using the top of the bars instead of the drop position.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Along with Flecc, I would go with your current bike initially. In the worst case, it'll cost you a wheel !

As for your drops, I can't imagine you using them very much and you may want to swap them for a more upright position unless you have some ferocious wind in your region ;)

There are a few BionX users on the forum who i'm sure would be happy to provide more details on their installations.

cheers
Russ.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Another option would be to borrow someone's bike for a day and fit the Bionx to that to see what you think of it, as it only takes half an hour to fit and doesn't involve any permanent changes to the bike.