Pavement

Giant Bike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2024
The area I live in is full of pavements to get to different locations.

On an electric bike even doing 15 mph would the police take the bike off me if they see me on the pavement?
Thanks.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If your electric bike conforms to the regulations for pedelecs (EAPCs), it is a bicycle in law and the following all applies:

Cyclists can ride on the pavement in some circumstances, details quoted below. Read right through to the end, showing this still applies:

"On 1st August 1999, new legislation came into force to allow a fixed penalty notice to be served on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway. However the Home Office issued guidance on how the new legislation should be applied, indicating that they should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others. The then Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued a letter stating that:

“The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.”

Almost identical advice has since been issued by the Home Office with regards the use of fixed penalty notices by ‘Community Support Officers’ and wardens.

“CSOs and accredited persons will be accountable in the same way as police officers. They will be under the direction and control of the chief officer, supervised on a daily basis by the local community beat officer and will be subject to the same police complaints system. The Government have included provision in the Anti Social Behaviour Bill to enable CSOs and accredited persons to stop those cycling irresponsibly on the pavement in order to issue a fixed penalty notice.

I should stress that the issue is about inconsiderate cycling on the pavements. The new provisions are not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other road users when doing so. Chief officers recognise that the fixed penalty needs to be used with a considerable degree of discretion and it cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16. (Letter to Mr H. Peel from John Crozier of The Home Office, reference T5080/4, 23 February 2004)

In a January 2014 letter to Donnachadh McCarthy of the pressure group Stop Killing Cyclists, roads minister Robert Goodwill said Boeteng’s advice was still valid.

Goodwill said: “Thank you for bringing the issue of cycling on the pavement around dangerous junctions…to my attention. I agree that the police should be using discretion in enforcing this law and would support Paul Boateng’s original guidance.”

The Association of Chief Police Officers then circulated this reiteration of the 1999 advice to all local police forces. ACPO’s National Policing Lead for Cycling Assistant Chief Constable Mark Milsom said: “We welcome the re-issued guidance from the Minister for Cycling in respect of cycling on the pavement and have re-circulated this to all local forces.”

So in summary, your can take to the pavements where traffic makes that necessary for your safety, so long as you have care and consideration for pedestrians, ride slowly in their presence and give way to them where that is advisable.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The area I live in is full of pavements to get to different locations.

On an electric bike even doing 15 mph would the police take the bike off me if they see me on the pavement?
Thanks.
Generally, no. They might ask you not to, then, if they catch you again, they might escalate it to a section 59 warning, so you'd have at least two chances. Obviously, if you hit a pedestrian, you'd be found liable for thousands in damages, so be careful. As long as you do it sensibly and are not in a specific no cycle zone, I don't think the police or anybody else would care, regardless of what the law says.

Reactions: Bikes4two

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I frequently use the pavement on roads where there is a tight pinch point and big busses etc.
1 stretch occupied by a bus stop is outside a cop shop, as long as i slow right down and give way to anyone on foot no one minds.
Just remember that the pavement is for those on foot so always give way, and ride at an appropriate speed as to not startle anyone on foot. slow going beats stood still or knocked off ;)

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I frequently use the pavement on roads where there is a tight pinch point and big busses etc.
1 stretch occupied by a bus stop is outside a cop shop, as long as i slow right down and give way to anyone on foot no one minds.
Just remember that the pavement is for those on foot so always give way, and ride at an appropriate speed as to not startle anyone on foot. slow going beats stood still or knocked off ;)
Absolutely perfect common sense. I adopt an exaggerated level of consideration and politeness when I am riding among pedestrians. I often take a low traffic shortcut through the Freeman Hospital. Where I exit the hospital roads there is a narrow path, which I use very slowly, in case a pedestrian comes onto it. If that happens, I just stop and make a joke about people on foot being the only ones to have a right to be there. This often leads to big smiles and joke from the other party.

Nobody is going to bother you if you are polite, sensible and considerate of others.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
'Share with care' is quite a common sight on cycle paths signs in Scotland.

Do that, and always remember that pedestrians have priority over you, and chances are there won't be too much trouble.

And don't ride at 15mph!