Over voltage protection

saitrix30

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2024
So having just got my first ebike I got looking around and it seems that chargers from time to time fail by not detecting the max change voltage and therefore not swap into constant voltage mode to top off the battery. I have also seen people using xh-m602 and xh-m604 charge controllers to stop their charger at 80% for example (which has it's own problems with not balancing the pack).

I couldn't help but think wouldn't it be a sensible extra layer of protection to use one of these to detect if you're charger is taking the cells above 4.2v by having the voltage cut off at say 4.25v therefore will turn the charger off if the charger malfunctions prior to a fire.

Please let me know if I'm just not understanding correctly but it feels like a better solution than using a timer/smart plug as that works off a set amount of time. Of course all this doesn't remove the need to use good quality chargers.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
So having just got my first ebike I got looking around and it seems that chargers from time to time fail by not detecting the max change voltage and therefore not swap into constant voltage mode to top off the battery. I have also seen people using xh-m602 and xh-m604 charge controllers to stop their charger at 80% for example (which has it's own problems with not balancing the pack).

I couldn't help but think wouldn't it be a sensible extra layer of protection to use one of these to detect if you're charger is taking the cells above 4.2v by having the voltage cut off at say 4.25v therefore will turn the charger off if the charger malfunctions prior to a fire.

Please let me know if I'm just not understanding correctly but it feels like a better solution than using a timer/smart plug as that works off a set amount of time. Of course all this doesn't remove the need to use good quality chargers.
You have that protection from the BMS in the battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Generic chargers don't detect anything, they are a dumb electric apperatus.
It is the BMS that allows any charge to take place , the charger is just a voltage regulator that turns 240v ac voltage in to lower safer dc voltage.

Short charging is nonsense and one gains very little over the batteries average life span.
Short charging one loses power and max speed sooner, overall range is affected on long rides. Issues with balance and low cells will cause cut outs and then one has to try and manually balance the battery, all short charging does is cause you more issues then one needs.

The only time I short charge is for storage or a little top up to approx 3.8v - 3.9v temporary between usage, I then fully balance charge before evry ride.

Last edited: