Newbie requires advice please.

wasim6ocgm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 27, 2011
Hello,

I have just turned '65 and have decided I need to return to cycling, only for pleasure and maybe to loose a little weight!

I live in South Norfolk, so no too many gradients, I intend to cycle 2 or 3 times a week for an hour or two at a time. Thinking of a pedelec so when there is a slight gradient I don't have to push myself too hard!!!

Currently looking to purchase a Whisper 706 Alpino or similar, price range about £1500/1700.
I am visiting London this Saturday and plane to go to Richmond (50 cycles for there kalkoff range and then Ebikes Direct (Battersea) for the Whisper range.

Would prefer a retailer closer to Norfolk for service etc but reading here seems that Cambridge is closest, intend to go there after London.

Would appreciate any advice / guidance from you guys/girls regarding the best model for me?

I want to get it right first time, rather than have to buy a secind bike a year or so down the line!!!

Thanks

Ian

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Hi Ian

As an ex-resident of North Norfolk... I'd say that given the terrain, you don't need to spend so much. Plenty of ebikes would cope easily. That's not to say that you might not like a higher quality bike, of course.

What you might do is buy a cheaper one now (£500 - £999). If that was not quite right, in a year or two you'll be in a better position to decide on an ideal ebike, if you really wanted one. Alternatively, by then, you might be much fitter and spend the extra on a very good unpowered one.

Good luck!

Andy

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think you are doing the right thing and have made a decent choice...Just make sure you give them a good test ride.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
You are doing absolutely the right thing. Try out a range of different bikes and different drive systems.

wasim6ocgm

Mar 27, 2011
Hi Ian

As an ex-resident of North Norfolk... I'd say that given the terrain, you don't need to spend so much. Plenty of ebikes would cope easily. That's not to say that you might not like a higher quality bike, of course.

What you might do is buy a cheaper one now (£500 - £999). If that was not quite right, in a year or two you'll be in a better position to decide on an ideal ebike, if you really wanted one. Alternatively, by then, you might be much fitter and spend the extra on a very good unpowered one.

Good luck!

Andy
Thanks, the thing is that so often in the past, whatever I go for i straightaway want something better, this time I want to get it right from the first time if possible . As an example, recently I have been testing headphone for listening to classical music from my iPad /iPod after buying several different cheaper set I bought a set from Bose - mega expensive - but theyre perfect for what i want - so it would have been cheaper to get them in the first place - I wan to do that with my bike.

I think you are doing the right thing and have made a decent choice...Just make sure you give them a good test ride.

I assume you mean between the models i have noted.

You are doing absolutely the right thing. Try out a range of different bikes and different drive systems.

as above, but what differences are there between drive sysytems please?

Many thanks for your comments todate

Ian

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Newbie want`s an Ebike

Ian you have the Batribike Importer at Lincoln and a Dealer at Boston .You could add those to your list .

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
For an extra £150 I would add the Kalkhoff Proconnect Disc to your list....

-------------------------------------------------------
Posting from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thanks, the thing is that so often in the past, whatever I go for i straightaway want something better, this time I want to get it right from the first time if possible . As an example, recently I have been testing headphone for listening to classical music from my iPad /iPod after buying several different cheaper set I bought a set from Bose - mega expensive - but theyre perfect for what i want - so it would have been cheaper to get them in the first place - I wan to do that with my bike.

I assume you mean between the models i have noted.

as above, but what differences are there between drive sysytems please?

Many thanks for your comments todate

Ian
The two main drive systems, or types, are hub motor dives and crank motor dives. Both very different and suit different people in different ways.

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
Worth giving Tim at 50cycles and Matt at E-Bikes Direct a bell - if you're catching the train, Queenstown Road is right on the doorstep to the Battersea showroom. 18 minutes or so to Richmond, then a short walk to 50cycles. You'll have a great time, especially riding through Richmond Park!

You might also like the Video Buyers Guide some forum members and other contributors helped make - it was filmed mostly in Battersea and Richmond ;)Choose an Electric Bike | Electric Bike Buyers Guide: Chapter 3

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
One other feature that divides ebikes into two distinct camps is The Throttle (or absence of the throttle). Many people swear by their throttle-less bikes, which operate solely by pedal pushing.

Depends to some extent how overweight/unfit you are. I am both (plus only one leg), so the throttle is an essential to get me from 0mph to 2 or 3mph when I can start pedalling. The top-of-the-range crank motor drive bikes, the Kalkhoffs, haven't got a throttle. Their main competitors, Wispers, which are driven by a hub motor, do have a throttle.

So, to add to what my friends have already said, decide what you want the bike to do for you, then try both systems.

Personally, I wouldn't be that bothered by the proximity of dealers, as if the bike goes wrong, or you just want a full service, you're probably going to have to drive to the dealer with your bike, then drive home, then go and get it - unless you've got a dealer a couple of miles from you!

Allen.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Hello,

I have just turned '65 and have decided I need to return to cycling, only for pleasure and maybe to loose a little weight!

I live in South Norfolk, so no too many gradients, I intend to cycle 2 or 3 times a week for an hour or two at a time. Thinking of a pedelec so when there is a slight gradient I don't have to push myself too hard!!!

Currently looking to purchase a Whisper 706 Alpino or similar, price range about £1500/1700.
I am visiting London this Saturday and plane to go to Richmond (50 cycles for there kalkoff range and then Ebikes Direct (Battersea) for the Whisper range.

Would prefer a retailer closer to Norfolk for service etc but reading here seems that Cambridge is closest, intend to go there after London.

Would appreciate any advice / guidance from you guys/girls regarding the best model for me?

I want to get it right first time, rather than have to buy a secind bike a year or so down the line!!!

Thanks

Ian
hi ian, first decision is step through frame or triangle frame......
next decision is frame and wheel size....only by sitting on the bikes can you find the best fit for you.....
looking at the amount of cash your are prepared to invest, you will be able to choose at the top end of the market, get a large capacity battery and good gearing.
the big choice will then be 'hub' motor or the pedal assist 'panasonic' type which is much closer to a normal bike as i think only the top model has a throttle assist.......
dont forget you will need funds for a good lock, some panniers and some cycling clothing if you dont already have something suitable.....and some people wear a helmet (some dont). you should also insure the bike and accessories....
good luck with your test rides....make sure you go up some hills...thats the real test for these e bikes....they are all good on the flat......
regards

wasim6ocgm

Mar 27, 2011
Update!

Went to Richmond Saturday (50Cycles) very helpful and informative, couldn't do a test ride due to injuring my knee the previous day!!!

Did 'sit-on ' a Kalkohff Agattu £1649, completely sold on a step-thru, IMHO this bike is 5 star quality!!!

As it happens before travelling to Richmond I found a dealer in Diss, about 5 miles from me, they have the Claud Butler range, liked the design etc. and price £1249 for a Glide 2 ( awaiting stock) apparently if I heard correctly, this model is both throttle and pedal assist? - only downturn for me was that whilst the guy was extracting another CB model for me to examine, another bike fell-over and marked the CB very easily. Would prefer to buy locally for service etc. But thought that the finish on the Kalkhoff was superior.
Still intend to go to Battersea (e-bikes) end of month to look at the Whisper Range.

As I stated previously , and to the dealers I want to get it right first time!!!

Even if it means paying a little more!!!

Every little helps!!!

Ian

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Yes, the Kalkhoff is most definitely built like a tank. If it was a car, it'd be a Mercedes!

I was put off the Kalkhoff by the absence of the throttle, but if that doesn't matter too much to you, then fine. The only time you might really need it is starting from rest on an incline - on the Kalkhoff you'll need to be able to turn those pedals and move your weight for a few turns against the slope.

But as you aren't very much overweight, this shouldn't be a factor.

If you can afford the difference, then I'd go for the Kalkhoff in your situation.

Allen (Wisper 905)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Definitely choose the Kalkhoff over the Claud Butler. The latter is a name given to bought-in bikes from various makers by the brand name owner Falcon Cycles.

With the better Kalkhoff you'll have the security of ongoing spares and battery availability, something not guaranteed with Claud Butler which has appeared in several e-bike guises with varying batteries and mountings.

electricmike

Jan 4, 2011
Hi Ian,

I'm not too many years younger than you and had a heart attack 3 years ago. I turned to electric bikes as my only form of exercise and I love it. I'm out very day and sometimes ride 40-60 miles in a weekend. The best and biggest selection for you to see is here at e-bikes london (Battersea) store which has been suggested above. You can demo bikes and "borrow" one for a few hours to go round London or Battersea Park and try it out. It's a no-obligation service and all of the staff are very helpful.

Mike

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi Ian,

I'm not too many years younger than you and had a heart attack 3 years ago. I turned to electric bikes as my only form of exercise and I love it. I'm out very day and sometimes ride 40-60 miles in a weekend. The best and biggest selection for you to see is here at e-bikes london (Battersea) store which has been suggested above. You can demo bikes and "borrow" one for a few hours to go round London or Battersea Park and try it out. It's a no-obligation service and all of the staff are very helpful.

Mike
The problem there is that Battersea park is flat, you need to try hills that are at least as steep as you'd expect to ride normally.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Agree with Mussels. Replication of the type of hills is essential. All electric bikes can cope with the flat. The performance requirements of steep hills is what really sorts them out.:eek:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Yes, but watch out for the mob.

A

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi My wife off 41 years went to lavender hill girls only school now converted to apartments

I lived in Battersea church road

We now live in Banbury

The other famous film was up the junction

Frank