New to conversion and need help with converting a Carrera Vengeance

nwbkr

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2024
Hi guys, I'm m new to the ebike world and I want to do a conversion on a Carrera Vengeance. I am buying the Vengeance new and would like recommendations on what motor I should get. Some people said I should buy a used bike but I figured why buy a used bike when I can buy a new one and keep it for years.

I have read pretty much about the Bafang but I want to know which is best. I'm not looking for so much power just enough for fun.

Just to add I will not be doing the conversion myself l, I'm taking it down to a bike shop to have it installed. Need help on what motor and ideas from you experienced folks.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

nwbkr

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2024
TSDZ8 from Woosh.

Why Vengeance?

What is your budget?
I liked the look of it and it seemed solid. Why? is there a problem I should know of?

Budget for the motor and battery, I'm thinking £600-700.

But I am new to this.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I liked the look of it and it seemed solid. Why? is there a problem I should know of?

Budget for the motor and battery, I'm thinking £600-700.

But I am new to this.
No, not a problem, but Vengeance is a very mediocre MTB. Do you plan to ride off road?

£700 for conversion is a very healthy budget. I recommend TSDZ8

nwbkr

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2024
No, not a problem, but Vengeance is a very mediocre MTB. Do you plan to ride off road?

£700 for conversion is a very healthy budget. I recommend TSDZ8
OMG LOL how mediocre is it? and what would you recommend?

I'm currently looking up the TSDZ8.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I converted the Carrera crossfre 3 in my avatar from new back in 2014. I've upgraded the front brake to hydraulic and, after around 12k miles, I've replaced the groupset. Forks are basic 50mm travel - nothing to write home about. Bike is still going strong after around 15kmiles. I've kept the 24 gears beacause I live in west Wales( where the flat bits are steep) and changed the flat bars for OnOne Mary bars for greater comfort..

I did it with a front hub, but I would recommend a rear hub, with either a frame or rack battery.(Frame battery will give lower centre of gravity.)
Woosh will do a complete kit for you with help and good c.s. along the way. Or, if you want to put together your own kit, Topbikekit is a reliable supplier. From them an AKM motor with Kt 17A controller and display is a good start.
Where do you want to ride?
How far do you want to go?
How heavy are you?
All affect kit choice.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Bafang for me

IMG_1614.JPGIMG_1617.JPGDsc_2342.jpg

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
You say

"I have read pretty much about the Bafang but I want to know which is best. I'm not looking for so much power just enough for fun. "

Only the BBs01 is UK road legal

Reactions: nwbkr