Help! New and in need of help.

Mantar

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2024
Hi everybody I have a Hitway BK5, did a normal ride today but now when riding at the highest assist level the bike keeps going to 21mph. Not only is this illegal but I dont want to kill the battery by doing this. It has an S866 controller which Ive downloaded the manual, gone into the parameters and checked the speed limit is at 25kph. Ive tried playing with this but bike still keeps going to 21mph. Does anybody know how to remedy this? Assist level one has the bike at 9mph and level 2 has it going at 12.5mph is correct but level 3 has it going to 21mph! Its too fast for me, but 12.5mph is too slow for the roads I used to get to work.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Awkward that.... If you hang about, an expert will no doubt be along shortly.

I guess until you get it fixed, you could maybe control the top speed by not pedalling as it begins to go too fast. Not a fix of course. Someone will soon be along with a better idea... :)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi everybody I have a Hitway BK5, did a normal ride today but now when riding at the highest assist level the bike keeps going to 21mph. Not only is this illegal but I dont want to kill the battery by doing this. It has an S866 controller which Ive downloaded the manual, gone into the parameters and checked the speed limit is at 25kph. Ive tried playing with this but bike still keeps going to 21mph. Does anybody know how to remedy this? Assist level one has the bike at 9mph and level 2 has it going at 12.5mph is correct but level 3 has it going to 21mph! Its too fast for me, but 12.5mph is too slow for the roads I used to get to work.
The faster you go, the easier it is for the battery, so if you want your battery to be unstressed, you should go as fast as possible. It's because the faster the motor spins, the more it reduces the current.

Are you sure that the bike is actually going 21 mph? You need to verify it by using the GPS in your phone with a speed measurement app.

Mantar

Jun 30, 2024
Yeah, it is going 21mph, verified with gps and you can feel it anyway and hear the motor working harder than it usually does.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
When you say 'harder than it usually does', do you mean harder than pas2, or harder than it used to in pas3 ?

I.e. has something changed, or has it always been like this?

Mantar

Jun 30, 2024
You can hear it spinning faster to get to 21mph. I dont know whats happened, did a 5 mile ride yesterday where it functioned fine. Parked up for about an hour, then I noticed when I set off in level 3 is goes to 21mph

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
That's useful!

So something changed, it used to respect 25km/h and now it doesn't. Your speedometer works, but speed limiting no longer does.

I'll pass you to the real experts now....

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
This sounds a crazy problem. I am wondering about an intermittent sensor fault caused by loose or dirty cable junctions / plugs, or a corrupted, or defective controller. I am deducing this not from serious e-bike wrenching experience like NielS and Saneagle have, but just the general experience of using electronic gadgets that most of us have.

I'd be checking plugs, disconnecting and reconnecting any that looked at all dubious, or especially if you have an external speed sensor, but also powering down the controller completely and re-starting it - although, that is likely to have been what you did as soon as the problem came up.

Maybe there are faults caused by age or water in the controller box. Who knows? It's a funny problem.

Not much help. Sorry.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I dont know your bike or its operation, but no mention above of any configuration settings or checking there of. even with my eu/uk 'hobbled' controller f/w i have access to a few controller settings,
Could a display button/controller fumble or ?? have resulted in something getting set in err??

setting the wheel size incorrectly or removing the upper speed limit may simply be the issue?

Anyone in your life circa 13 yrs old and prone to watching how-to vids and got access to your bike?? after all 'how can i de-reg my bike?' is probably the #1 Q asked in here..

Mantar

Jun 30, 2024
I havent messed with any of the settings on the control panel. I did open uo the box where the controller is held to check for any loose or broken connections but couldnt find anything. The bike is only 2 months old ao hoping to get it repaired under warranty, but I can imagine this may involve me having to send the bike back so I was hoping to find a quick fix to this issue, though it seems a difficult issue to diagnose

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I havent messed with any of the settings on the control panel. I did open uo the box where the controller is held to check for any loose or broken connections but couldnt find anything. The bike is only 2 months old ao hoping to get it repaired under warranty, but I can imagine this may involve me having to send the bike back so I was hoping to find a quick fix to this issue, though it seems a difficult issue to diagnose
Do what Saneagle said - try disconnecting the throttle. You should be able to follow the throttle wire to a plug and pull it apart.

I think I can maybe see what he is thinking - if the bike has a unlimited speed throttle which is faulty (some kit bikes certainly do have that kind of throttle) it might make the bike run faster than the 25 kph, even if you were not using the throttle.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Hang around in here and you will learn Saneagle is ALLWAYS right when it comes to ebikes..

But since google gave me so many 90 sec vids on how to de-reg (lift the speed limit) of your bike....

-many bikes feature code lock outs, if not used however?? A teen prank without thought of consequence is a viable scenario too, as you need only leave your bike unattended for a minute or so..

Even if you have made no modifications to your bikes configuration settings, its worthwhile both familiarising yourself with the details and checking imho. A detailed manual pdf should be just a few clicks away..

Mantar

Jun 30, 2024
Do what Saneagle said - try disconnecting the throttle. You should be able to follow the throttle wire to a plug and pull it apart.

I think I can maybe see what he is thinking - if the bike has a unlimited speed throttle which is faulty (some kit bikes certainly do have that kind of throttle) it might make the bike run faster than the 25 kph, even if you were not using the throttle.
My bike doesent have a throttle.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My bike doesent have a throttle.
in that case, look to see if it has the throttle connector hanging from the harness somewhere. Maybe water got in the open end.

The controller uses logic. It doesn't have a mind of its own. It receives signals from sensors (pedal sensor, speed sensor, hall sensor and throttle), which it uses to decide what speed and power to allow. Logically, it's getting a faulty or false signal from somewhere.

The only other thing I can suggest is to make sure that the motor connector is in all the way to the marked line and not just in tight because if it's not in far enough, you can get a false speed signal.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Looking at Hitway's website, all their bikes seem to be generic Chinese styles simply rebranded with their own name. In many cases, they may be made for an international market where, in the US for example, 20mph is allowed, and in those cases the bike can often be easily switched from 15.5mph to 20mph to suit the market it's being sold into.

On some bikes, that's achieved by changing parameters in the display, but on some it can be a combination of other things. For example, one bike requires a sequence of brake lever squeezing while maybe holding the on button down or holding an up or down button - or combination thereof. Another bike requires simply holding the down button down for 3 seconds to switch from 15.5mph to 20mph... which is an odd choice given that action is normally associated with walk assist.

I think it possible you've maybe squeezed a lever while/and/or been pressing buttons that has inadvertently changed that country specific speed setting.

There's service contact info on Hitway's website. You could message them and ask?

Reactions: Ghost1951