My bafang bbso1 build

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
Hi all have just assembled my bafang bbso1 ,not an easy install. Bafang 48v 250w, dpc18 display, 48v13ah downtube battery.
Decided on a new mtb as i wanted a 29er, hydrolic brakes, and front suspention, had a look in halfords, but decided on a scott aspect 960 fairly modest price at £330 delivered.
I checked with the cycle shop prior to purchase it had threaded bb ,to suit the bafang (i forgot to ask width of bb 68 or 73 mm). As previous build of carrera and tdz installed ok.
First up 3 hours of trying to remove drive side of bb .including heat and lots of grunt.rr
When finally removed the moter would not slide into the bb fully.
Much head scratching , and internet search , info from woosh re using dremmel to grind away any high spots from middle of bb where its welded.

To be honest could not see what was fouling moter,but eventally it went in.

Next i found the chainring was out of alighnment with cassette due to bb being 73 mm wide not 68.mm
Only way i found to remedy this was a lekkie 42 tooth bling ring (brighton bikes£96). Which gives 9 mm ofset.
els
Build complete did 33.9 miles varied terrain battery now at 50% my display has 1-9 pas settings, speed set to 18mph.
Pas 5-9 ok 7;seems to be what i would use most, however i have a slight niggle. Bike seems most happy at 10-12 mph
If using pas 6 on the flat about 10 mph sometimes it feels like hard work ,and pulling a trailer.

Not sure if its the battery sagging or something else, pas 7 seems ok?

could someone point me to the laptop bafang programming software so i can check settings when my proggraming cable arrives.

the moter does not have quite the grunt i expected ,although it was ok on some steeper hills, also with the battery at 50%. Throttle was only doing about 11 mph on the flat

thank you all

Attachments

Reactions: Brik and SkyMonkey

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Try a few forum searches with likely BBS01 keywords, there is lots of info on here.

Do you know what cadence you are pedalling at? The motor needs to be in its happy range.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all have just assembled my bafang bbso1 ,not an easy install. Bafang 48v 250w, dpc18 display, 48v13ah downtube battery.
Decided on a new mtb as i wanted a 29er, hydrolic brakes, and front suspention, had a look in halfords, but decided on a scott aspect 960 fairly modest price at £330 delivered.
I checked with the cycle shop prior to purchase it had threaded bb ,to suit the bafang (i forgot to ask width of bb 68 or 73 mm). As previous build of carrera and tdz installed ok.
First up 3 hours of trying to remove drive side of bb .including heat and lots of grunt.rr
When finally removed the moter would not slide into the bb fully.
Much head scratching , and internet search , info from woosh re using dremmel to grind away any high spots from middle of bb where its welded.

To be honest could not see what was fouling moter,but eventally it went in.

Next i found the chainring was out of alighnment with cassette due to bb being 73 mm wide not 68.mm
Only way i found to remedy this was a lekkie 42 tooth bling ring (brighton bikes£96). Which gives 9 mm ofset.
els
Build complete did 33.9 miles varied terrain battery now at 50% my display has 1-9 pas settings, speed set to 18mph.
Pas 5-9 ok 7;seems to be what i would use most, however i have a slight niggle. Bike seems most happy at 10-12 mph
If using pas 6 on the flat about 10 mph sometimes it feels like hard work ,and pulling a trailer.

Not sure if its the battery sagging or something else, pas 7 seems ok?

could someone point me to the laptop bafang programming software so i can check settings when my proggraming cable arrives.

the moter does not have quite the grunt i expected ,although it was ok on some steeper hills, also with the battery at 50%. Throttle was only doing about 11 mph on the flat

thank you all
With these crank-drives it's quite important to be in the right gear. If you have it in a low gear, the motor will max out on iit's RPM, so you can't go fast. What gear were you in when it would only go 11 mph? It could be the settings that's stopping the motor working properly or it could be that you're not using the gears correctly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some settings might need tweaking , one needs the free software to down load and a prog cable.
10 - 12 mph isn't right for 48v one.

I had a 36v 18a 350w original BBS01 10 yrs ago and 18mph was top speed assisted. I was able to manage 10wh /m and manage 52 miles with a 36v 522wh battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I found they needed spinning to get the best out of them up to 80rpm/cadence.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It is you! Footpump! Show us your wheels!

Bike seems most happy at 10-12 mph
My bike's happiest at 20mph, but sadly I'm not allowed to be happy. It's illegal.

Bear in mind your warranty is probably void if you make firmware changes (or admit to it), and there is the risk of magically transforming your controller into a brick.

Here's a guide regarding the parameters, heed any warnings contained therein:

https://edrivenet.com/bafang-programming/

Lately, rather than muck about with Windows COM ports using Penoff's configurator...

https://penoff.me/2016/01/13/e-bike-conversion-software/

...I've been using the Speeed App:

Quick and easy if you have an Android phone or tablet, and an OTG cable which works for conveying data.

@Ghost1951 used this web based configurator via Chromebook:

Take note of your original settings - in fact, I'd be interested to see if they're any different to my factory settings. If firmware modification causes your motor to malfunction, and if your controller isn't bricked, you can set the firmware back to how it was and perhaps get it repaired under warranty? ;)

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
If you have the usb to ttl cable which is readily available (mine cost £9 on Ebay) this web page will work in your browser whatever platform you have. I needed no drivers or anything when I tried it, but I was using a chromebook. I just plugged it into the bike LCD lead (motor end) switched on the battery, and then plugged it into the usb socket on the chromebook. THen I opened the web page (link below, and opened the serial port at the top left under the word Bafang. It worked perfectly. You have to load settings and I recommend saving the settings to your hard drive so you can always revert to the original.

Here is the utility.

I got all this from Guerney and we had a fine old time adjusting settings o get what we wanted.

Many of these motors come in a very tuned down form from the suppliers. The lower PAS levels often have the speed settings (at which they stop assisting) set very low for most of the PAS levels. They also have a very low 'KEEP CURRENT setting percentage, so not only does the motor stop assisting at low speeds in the lower PAS levels, but the controller pulls back on the current once you settle into a steady speed.

Mine works like a dream now.

I do not recommend that you increase the MAX current above 15 amps - others disagree, and I do not recommend that you raise the start current above 20%. My priority is that I don't do anything to shorten the life of the mosfets in the controller and it is my view that the settings I just mentioned are safe.

One of the best changes I made was in the PAS table, to set the speed (right hand column) to 100% at every level, but to progressively raise the current percentage in the left hand column. This way the controller keeps on pushing the motor to assist you to the maximum set speed (25kph legal max). It doesn't supply large currents in the low pas setting if you set them lowish, but it still assists fine.

This will probably not make much sense until you have loaded your own settings up and looked at the utility.

When you save the changed settings back to the controller, save each section one at a time. Mine refused to save them all at once. Save each table after making a change and move to the next one. Probably best to ignore my throttle table. I got rid of it entirely.

Here are my settings just as an example:

Attachments

Reactions: SkyMonkey

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Looks like Gureney got there first while I was typing. He helped me a lot. I have made many changes to my system and no problems happened at all. I think Guereny's mentions of 'Bricking' are a bit OTT to be honest - I don't think you will brick the controller. It is not as if you were uploading a completely new or changed operating system. This stuff is just the motor power parameters which are stored as a table in the controller.

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
hi all thanks for info, have had some time with bbso1, the moter seems happest abpout 12 mph, pas 7 but range suffers. throttle still sluggish 8-11mph.

programming cable arrived , speeed app would not install from play store had to use apk pure speeed bafang, speeed would not connect to moter, had to install serial usb app. connected to moter but could see no obvious settings amiss so left alone.

last week while waiting to cross a road, another rider with a bafang moter fitted, scooted across the road, i eventually caught up to him for info on his kit.
he had bafang 48v 750w 1-5 pas but a far better celled battery than mine .he had done 49 miles lcd stilled showed 100% battery he was on pas 1.
he did not build the bike, build was done by matt at E MYBIKE.CO.UK,
he suggested i contact matt for assistance.
phoned matt , he was baffled , as he was not aware of a bafang 48v 250 moter. only 36v 250 and 48 500 0r 750w mid moters

he charges £30 for a call out for software install etc, he came to me,

we have tweaked settings throttle now ok, changed from pas 1-9 to 1-5
very brief ride today pas 4 seems same as pas 7 to me, 1 and 2 not enough for me , battery was at half charge,, will fully charge and test tomorrow.

matt rode my bike and said it did not have as much oomf as his 36v 250,

he is going to conntact his bafang supplier to get more info on 48v 250 12 amp controller as he is not exactly sure what i have. moter and booklet marked as above, lcd showed 500w when ridden,

a good day matt was very versed on all things bafang and the little obsticles re diy build.

thanks all ps i did not look at exactly what settings were altered

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
he is going to conntact his bafang supplier to get more info on 48v 250 12 amp controller as he is not exactly sure what i have. moter and booklet marked as above, lcd showed 500w when ridden,
Could he not increase the controller's current limit? 48V X 12A = only 576W. It'd be interesting to know if that parameter is locked on your 48V 250W controller.

matt rode my bike and said it did not have as much oomf as his 36v 250,
At present, I have 720W available on my 36V 250W BBS01B - even more oomf, because the motor is driving a small 20" wheel.

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The 48 v 250watt bbs01 is firmware locked to 12 amps max, not found away around this in a 12+month search mine is on without a throttle as well .The dpc10 display has never showed over 550watts and drops back to 125 watts in the lower power levels keep current set at 90%
PS the bbs 2 controller will not fit

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The 48 v 250watt bbs01 is firmware locked to 12 amps max, not found away around this in a 12+month search mine is on without a throttle as well .The dpc10 display has never showed over 550watts and drops back to 125 watts in the lower power levels keep current set at 90%
Thanks for that - I had misremembered your current limit locked controller as a BBS02. o_O

PS the bbs 2 controller will not fit
So much for the ignored sauerkraut hater's relatively recent assertion that the BBS01 and BBS02 are the same motor with a different hat! Fancy a whirl flashing and/or bricking your 48V 250W BBS01 controller with the open source firmware for BBS02/BBSHD? What could possibly go wrong?

p.s. You may or may not have noticed, some 36V 250W BBS01B controllers are also current limit locked:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/this-is-a-question-for-the-knowledgeable-ebike-bafang-bbs01b-owners.47526/#post-719324

Last edited:

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
hi all an update,
last tweak of settings 1-5 pas, 1and 2 not enough assist 3 not quite enough 4 a little too much. also pas 3 seemed to stop giving assistance at about 11mph.
today got matt (e mybike.co.uk}) to fit a gear shift sensor, we adjusted the pas again pas now 1-9 . not exactly sure what matt altered, but can now ride in pas 2 ok, pas 6 can zoom along at 18mph if needbe its definately better to ride than the original settings.

also had a go on a 48v 750w bike, pas 1-9, quite a differance to mine pas1-5,

however quite happy with latest settings.
but have no idea what range i will get
thank you

Reactions: Ghost1951

vantage

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2022
I'd suggest getting your display to show volts instead of percent re battery range. Far more accurate.
I tested this myself. My battery shows 54v on a full charge. If I do 20 miles it'll show 2 or 3 volts less than when I started but if I had percentage showing on the display, the battery will still show as 100% which is complete horse crap.
Volts are far more reliable.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
TOO many replies for me to read so.......

I have that setup on BOTH bikes

It needs to have the software setup google it, one of the benefits of getting a PROPER dealer build it and not diy

Dsc_2342.jpgIMG_1617.JPG

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
thanks vantage and saracen when i first tried the bbso1 with the original settings display at % did approx 40 miles display down to 19% went home and recharged,

as settings have now been altered 3 times since original set up i still have no idea of range ,i have done 18miles some throttle max pas 6 display shows 69%

if i change to volts what would the equivilent voltage show for say 20%.
the last 3 miles from home are quite hilly?

thank you

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
To answer this question for myself last week, I blasted up and down the hills very nearby around my home (near enough to walk the bike back). I started with my 36V LGMH1 celled 19.2Ah battery at 35V, and it seems somewhere between 32V and 33V, is about when hill climbing isn't possible without voltage sag triggering the 31V low voltage controller cutoff. At that point I had to lower the assistance level from 20A and change to a lower gear, to enable slower hill climbing.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

vantage

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2022
if i change to volts what would the equivilent voltage show for say 20%.
the last 3 miles from home are quite hilly?

thank you
No idea to be honest. My bbs02 shuts down when the battery hits 41v. Minor hills can be done with 42v and 43 will climb slightly steep. 44v is my cue to recharge the battery. Obviously, these numbers vary wildly depending on the hill, wind speed, tyre pressure, human effort and pas used.
This is one of those questions that only your experimentation can answer.

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
Hi all an update, Now covered about 330 miles, I am using 1-9 pas set up,
I can use all lower pas levels now pas3 ok on the flat, can shift along in pas 6 depending on gear selection.

the bike is much more usable with altered settings from the original.
Pas1-5 was pretty useless keep current up from 60 to 80.

only thing i am not happy with is range from 48v 17ah (if indeed it is trully 17ah). Only 2 top up charges from about 19% to full.