Mountain bike brake pads

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Any recommendations for bike V brake pads.
Looking online they all seem similar to me. Only the colour or price varies, so just buy any 70mm pads?

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Look stop Supra 2, I have used both the red / black mix and black

Red colour is known as salmons

Kool Stop's black pads are intended for mostly dry conditions and wear better than the salmons. The salmon pads are superior in the wet but wear faster.

Reactions: Wayners

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
of course you have to pull the tiny pin without loosing it in order to fit the replacement pads, and they are a lot thinner on the ground than 'complete ' brake pads..
That is annoying. Clarks are supposed to be easier on rims, I wear through Clarks fast. Won't be long before I get to try these reshoable jobs I bought a few weeks ago. Green gone off salmon:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I got 500 miles out my last lot of pads although they were nothing special. I guess with an ebike I might be braking more from higher speeds.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
of course you have to pull the tiny pin without loosing it in order to fit the replacement pads, and they are a lot thinner on the ground than 'complete ' brake pads..
The replacement pads usually come with replacement pins. One advantage of this design is you can replace the pads and don't need to re-align the brake, just adjust the pull. It isn't just Clarkes that come in this format.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I like kingfisher blue
I got 500 miles out my last lot of pads although they were nothing special. I guess with an ebike I might be braking more from higher speeds.
If your average speed goes from 7 mph to 14 mph, upo wear out the brakes four times as fast.

Reactions: Wayners

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The replacement pads usually come with replacement pins. One advantage of this design is you can replace the pads and don't need to re-align the brake, just adjust the pull. It isn't just Clarkes that come in this format.
That's the only reason I'm trying them - realignment is a right time consuming pain. Hopefully I'll only use these once (they've increased in price since I bought them, may be cheaper elsewhere):

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Different design tool for adjust break blocks. I wonder if they are any good?

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That's the only reason I'm trying them - realignment is a right time consuming pain. Hopefully I'll only use these once (they've increased in price since I bought them, may be cheaper elsewhere):

View attachment 54711
Are you kicking yourself yet?

Post#6

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Post#6

Isn't post #6 more relevant to the OP of that thread and this? Unfortunately, disc brakes can't be installed at all on my Helios (might be possible for the Espresso, haven't looked into it).

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
View attachment 54709

These didn't last long
A classic case of not adjusting the position of the pads as they wear. V-brakes move in an arc and if left will "dive" under the rim, reducing the braking surface and shortening the life of the pads. This still applies to cartridge type pads, so you will have to adjust them upwards just as often. They inevitably wear more quickly on an ebike.
FWIW I switched to the same Clarks cartridge pads that you've bought and have found them OK, but still need frequent adjustment to get good life out of them. The correct replacement pads are CPS501:-
3 Pairs Clarks CPS501 Brake Pads MTB Bike Replacement 72mm Insert Cartridge 5021646012887 | eBay

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Oh.
Think I'll buy a adjusting tool then. I'll need to regularly look at pads then.

To find, put ...Brake Shoe Tuner.... into eBay search.
Brings options up

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Isn't post #6 more relevant to the OP of that thread and this? Unfortunately, disc brakes can't be installed at all on my Helios (might be possible for the Espresso, haven't looked into it).
Sorry. That was for him. I'll try again.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
View attachment 54709

These didn't last long

Post#6

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
fwiw 3-4 years of ridding the bike and occasional brake adjustment needed, 2 months almost of e biking and the brake blocks need replacing and the ridges that stood proud of the wheel rim are now gone, itsa smooth!!

I had to double check the original back wheel rim to confirm that originally the front wheel rim was ridged.. alas my frame and forks are not compatible with disk brakes.