Mid-drive hybrid?

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020
Hi. I'm planning north to south France trip. Hopefully, mainly on cycle paths, but will also include roads. I'm looking for a mid-drive, torque-sensing hybrid. Don't need suspension. Max budget is £2000, but happy to pay less. Current bike is a Forme Curbar mountain bike to which I added the Tongsheng mid-drive motor. Works pretty well, but a bit big and heavy for a long road trip. I did see this recently, but it's worryingly cheap: https://ewheelrider.co.uk/products/mtb-mountain-e-bike-g-hybrid-jason-mid-motor-27-5-wheel-36v-battery-7-speed-black

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Worry about range and how you will be charging it first. Pretty much any mid budget bike will do, they are all fairly samey. You almost need to choose which motor you prefer and work from there, and probably factor in a second battery and second charger.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
It is not cheap. Looks quite expensive to me.

What you need is a good big battery or two to keep you going whole day. This bike has tiny battery - only 11Ah.

North to south France is quite an adventure. Perhaps you would find a minute or two to write more about your plans?

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
If it was me (and I ride something similar) is to buy a decent £500-£600 hybrid ( https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/brand/pinnacle/cobalt-3-hybrid-bike-939177#colcode=93917719 )and add a Tongsheng mid drive (if you must have Torque drive) and pair it with a couple of these 36v 25ah batteries (one in pannier as a mid ride swap out) below
That's give you great range, up to 100 miles per day with good assistance, Would be well under your budget. Make sure you get the legal 250w motor and restrict to 25kph penalties in France for illegal ebikes are severe

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
For a long road / cycle path trip, wouldn't a hub drive be more relaxing (and less strain on the chains & gears and lighter and "bulletproof" from a reliability point of view)

AKM 100 (2.1kg), KT controller and display, 36v 25 Ah battery

Start off with something like a secondhand boardman hybrid pro (9.45kg) or Boardman Hybrid Team (10.2kg) - good ones around for £300 and it won't be too heavy

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hub drive & KT 9 Mosfet controller, being France one will need 250w rated motor so AKM 100 or AKM 128C with a nice etched aluminium stick label/ plate on it.

Reason form AKM is the nicer lower internal gearing which can enable one to ride easier with no power thus increasing the days range.
If one must opt for a TS set up then the TSDZ2 also offers a lower internal gearing for riding unpowered.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
That's a nice looking bike. Not sure if they are speed control or current control.
You are going to end up with a fleet of e-bikes :)

It is a very nice e-bike, I was tempted myself. It is very light, it uses the very light AKM-85 motor, so most suitable for riders < 14 stone / not too hilly - speed control, but I think the Lishui implementation is quite subtle https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/controller-speed-or-current-carrera-kraken-conversion.45774/#post-687912

Reactions: Ghost1951

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I am of course biased, but if this trip happened in the summer in the home country of SunTrip, it is hard not to recommend a modest amount of solar instead of the massive battery solution!

It is a trip with fantastic possibilities. I might have to learn French...

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
You might want to consider the Decathlon 500e/520e or touring versions. I tackled the Rebellion Way over ~4days last year without any problems. It's relatively low cost and on home territory (designed in France). Whatever you decide have a great time. Peter

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020
Thanks for all the advice Peter. I note that the Decathlon bike is rear hub motor with torque-sensing control. I hadn't realised such a set-up existed. I can see that this would reduce strain on gears and chain while giving me that more intuitive torque-sensing assist that I'm used to. Any thoughts from you on this set-up, please? Steve