Melted cables at the control unit

radvis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2021
I have a fat bike with a motor in the rear wheel (Bafang 250W). During a routine check of the control unit (voltage 36V, max. current 17A, rated current 8A), I discovered that all the cables connecting the battery (Li-ion Silverfish 36V/21Ah) to the control unit have partially melted insulation (shrink tubing) exactly at the connection point (where the battery cables connect to the unit cables) – see the attached photo.

The control unit is relatively new, installed approximately 15 months ago. The battery is older, installed around 5 years ago. The previous control unit (identical to the current one with the same parameters) was installed with the current battery for about 3.5 years, and the cables never showed any issues; there was no melting of the cables at all.

Does anyone know what caused the current cable melting and how to prevent it?

Attachments

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Yup, bullet connectors are rubbish. They tend to go loose and hence resistive hence the heating.
You need some xt connectors such as these:
Or Anderson connectors:
Or solder the cables together and cover with heatshrink.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have a fat bike with a motor in the rear wheel (Bafang 250W). During a routine check of the control unit (voltage 36V, max. current 17A, rated current 8A), I discovered that all the cables connecting the battery (Li-ion Silverfish 36V/21Ah) to the control unit have partially melted insulation (shrink tubing) exactly at the connection point (where the battery cables connect to the unit cables) – see the attached photo.

The control unit is relatively new, installed approximately 15 months ago. The battery is older, installed around 5 years ago. The previous control unit (identical to the current one with the same parameters) was installed with the current battery for about 3.5 years, and the cables never showed any issues; there was no melting of the cables at all.

Does anyone know what caused the current cable melting and how to prevent it?
It's not that common for battery wires to melt. It's normally the motor phase wires that melt. It looks to me like it's gone over the 17A (possible short circuit). Why did you do a routine inspection? Was there a problem? Is it working OK now?

radvis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2021
Did you find the reason for the short or overload?
Since I don't solder every day, I guess I may have soldered the wires incorrectly during the replacement of the control unit. Corrosion may have occurred too as I ride my bike in the rain. I'll start by fixing the connections with better connectors and then see if the heating issue recurs.

Advertisers