Looking for a folding bike good for hills.

Nivag

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2024
Hi all. Ive been riding an ebike (conversion on a MTB) for 12 years till it got trashed when someone tried to take the battery.
However, my needs have changed and I'm lookng for a folding ebike.
When i got my last bike there was not so much choice, however now i'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options.

I'm in south london, I'd like a bike from a shop i think so there is some support as I'm concerned about something going wrong with the electrics, or just damage from wear/and use.
However are there any online stores with reliable service - do people send the whold bike back by post for maintainance?

I was thinking of a less expensive bike to make losing it to vandalism / theft or accident less of a hit. and maybe less appealing to thievs too. is there any folding bike for a 6ft guy, good on hills, would also like a bike rack if poss.

I am also wary of the batteries bikes use, and a brand not making the bike or battery when it comes time to replace it. are there any standard batteries/designs used between brands and manufactures etc?

Thanks for any advice

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
However are there any online stores with reliable service - do people send the whold bike back by post for maintainance?
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/ Better service than most LBSs. (local bike shops)

Almost all the maintenance on an ebike is exactly the same as for a regular bike.
Do you do your own maintenance of regular bikes?
Many LBS won't service an ebike, especially if they didn't sell it to you.
That applies to even the aspects that are not ebike related.
Typically if anything does go wrong with the electrics a firm like Woosh will send out parts which anyone who can do regular bike maintenance should be able to fit.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That Argos folder being all-steel weighs a ton (25kg?), and likely wouldn't pull the skin off a custard... never mind a 6ft bloke up hills. There's always been issues here on the forum with the Argos/e-plus range with unavailability of (especially) the electrical parts even when new and still under warranty, even though the parts are pretty dire and generally shite to start with... and yes, while a good number of members would say strip the lot off and shove a KT system into it for sub-£100, that really is beyond the ability of many - especially those looking for local dealer/shop support.

The Fiido D11 mentioned post #2 (link to my review post) wouldn't be a good choice either - IMO it's a better, lighter e-bike for sure, but the frame is too small for the 6' OP, and again, someone looking for shop support isn't going to get it.

Does a half-decent dealer/shop sold/supported folder even exist for sub-£1000?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Buy 4 of them, then you don't need to waste money on a lock.
I just bought one. So cheap, I could not resist, even though I am very happy with the ebike I have.

As I think you have found out, you can never have too many ebikes... :)

But given the one year guarantee, there is nothing to lose.

I wonder why they are dumping them. They REALLY are dumping the stock at these prices. They can't be making anything on the sales.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I wonder why they are dumping them. They REALLY are dumping the stock at these prices. They can't be making anything on the sales.
Maybe one or two exploded in their warehouse and it is cheaper to get rid of them than to deal with fires.:)

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I just bought one. So cheap, I could not resist, even though I am very happy with the ebike I have.

As I think you have found out, you can never have too many ebikes... :)

But given the one year guarantee, there is nothing to lose.

You could transpose all the parts to another bike - much cheaper than buying a kit for conversion. The motor will be a high-speed one for the small wheels, so pretty good if you build it into a 26" wheel of a lightweight hybrid.

Reactions: Ghost1951

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That Argos folder being all-steel weighs a ton (25kg?), and likely wouldn't pull the skin off a custard... never mind a 6ft bloke up hills. There's always been issues here on the forum with the Argos/e-plus range with unavailability of (especially) the electrical parts even when new and still under warranty, even though the parts are pretty dire and generally shite to start with... and yes, while a good number of members would say strip the lot off and shove a KT system into it for sub-£100, that really is beyond the ability of many - especially those looking for local dealer/shop support.
Over three years ago, before I converted the Dahon I already had, I enquired after the cost of an Argos folding bike replacement battery and was quoted £350. As that was half the cost of the bike, and for a small battery, I decided to convert instead with a 250W Bafang mid-drive kit and now have an epic hill climbing heavy bicycle trailer hauler, and it's fast too, with about twice the battery capacity. The conversion only cost £109 more in total at the time, than the Argos folder. That same conversion kit with similar battery now costs £hundreds less than it did three years ago. I now wish to purchase a time travel machine for less than £300.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Over three years ago, before I converted the Dahon I already had, I enquired after the cost of an Argos folding bike replacement battery and was quoted £350. As that was half the cost of the bike, and for a small battery, I decided to convert instead with a 250W Bafang mid-drive kit and now have an epic hill climbing heavy bicycle trailer hauler, and it's fast too, with about twice the battery capacity. The conversion only cost £109 more in total at the time, than the Argos folder. That same conversion kit with similar battery now costs £hundreds less than it did three years ago. I now want to buy a time machine for less than £300.
I wondered if you might want one of these Argos, 20", folders as a spare. I think you mostly ride bikes so if your Dahon mid drive went awry, you might be glad to have a cheap reserve bike in the stable.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
In that case they wouldn't want to sell them, would they.
I think you are right there. I doubt it would be good for their corporate reputation to sell dangerous products when they knew there was an issue. The internal emails would be a gift to prosecutors preparing a corporate manslaughter case.

Edit - They also have to stand by their guarantee of 12 months for failures, so they must consider them a reasonable prospect.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I wondered if you might want one of these Argos, 20", folders as a spare. I think you mostly ride bikes so if your Dahon mid drive went awry, you might be glad to have a cheap reserve bike in the stable.
Dahons make good quality bikes with decent components, I look forward to reading about how people get on with their new Argos folders. Dahon of old was generally better. I have two non-electric bikes: a 26" Dahon Espresso folding bike which I have yet to reassemble, and a dead 26" Halfords jobbie I found dumped in the woods. The Espresso only needs a few hours of work, I've got all the bits and it's already on the bike stand - it's been there for months. I might even know how all those bits fit together. If my present conversion went AWOL or blew up, as I already have bikes, I'd simply buy a cheap BBS01B kit from China. Or suffer engaging in bicycle based exercise. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1951

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think you are right there. I doubt it would be good for their corporate reputation to sell dangerous products when they knew there was an issue. The internal emails would be a gift to prosecutors preparing a corporate manslaughter case.

Edit - They also have to stand by their guarantee of 12 months for failures, so they must consider them a reasonable prospect.
Correct. My logic says they've been tipped off about imminent new legislation.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I hate the direction of that new legislation. We're powerless to change it.

Is Argos simply selling off old stock before voltage in Chinese celled battery packs collapse to the point of DOA?

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Is Argos is simply selling off old stock before voltage in Chinese celled battery packs collapse to the point of DOA?
Maybe they have old stock, in danger of the battery voltage dropping too low and they want to sell it rather than open them all up and charge the batteries