Li-ion Storage

halfmedley

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2007
Simple question: What are the best conditions for storing a li-ion battery for a prolonged amount of time (whilst my e-bike overwinters in the shed)? Is it to charge it up fully, keep it as cool as possible whilst it is not being used, and top-up the charge once in a while?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Simple question: What are the best conditions for storing a li-ion battery for a prolonged amount of time (whilst my e-bike overwinters in the shed)? Is it to charge it up fully, keep it as cool as possible whilst it is not being used, and top-up the charge once in a while?

40% charged and in the fridge is the recommended way of long term storage. Fridge optional in cold weather!

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With a 20% to 40% charge at zero degrees C, the capacity loss reduces to about 2% per year, but at a typical fridge temperature of 5 to 7 degrees C it will be around 5%.

The loss at ambient temperatures in a temperate to warm climate when fully charged can be over 30%.

The advice regarding battery meters on the website Harry gives should be ignored for the separate meters on our bikes, no need to fully discharge every 30 charges. It only applies to integral meters like those with the Panasonic motor unit batteries on bikes like the Lafree, Gazelle Easy Glider and Kalkhoff Agattu.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've got my laptop battery at 25% charge at the back and in the bottom of my fridge since I rarely use it off the mains, and alongside it are two tiny camera lithium batteries since I have four and this is the off season for much photography.

The bike batteries are too big, but I've used the garage for those in the past in winter, that nicely substituting for a fridge.

Advertisers