KT controller compatibility with Mahle

Morrisgj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 29, 2024
does anyone know if a KT controller will work with a Mahle x35 hub motor? The motor has the 9 pin connector.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I think it should, if Mahle follows the same color scheme as Bafang, I believe I've used six different makes of hub motors over the years, although the majority were Bafang and Aikema. Matched colors on phase/sensor and they always spun up,

I know there are a few oddball makers that don't know what they are doing, but I've never encountered them.

I have encountered a 9 pin extension cable where the arrow was off by 45 degrees. That cable was problematic. Gave poor contact,

Morrisgj

Jun 29, 2024
Thank you.
I am new to all this. Will the KT controller work with only battery, motor, pas and display connected.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
If your KT controller has the flat connectors for the display, it probably came with a jumper that allows it to run without display on throttle or one PAS. If it has the round 4n1 harness that goes to the handlebars, they don't give you a jumper.

What I often do is hook up the KT controller, battery, motor and display. Then hit walk mode. When the motor spins, I know it's connected.

Morrisgj

Jun 29, 2024
Would you be able to recommend a suitable controller and display model. It’s a 250 watt motor, 36v.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
KT brand controllers are popular because you can select any LCD display from the range that meets your aesthetic KT-LCD3 is t most popular and probably the cheapest. google and check out the manual pdf files for the displays you are considering ;) (20+ pages)

For a 250w motor, most bikes come with a 15amp controller but 17a or even 20a controllers could be used if your battery supports the higher draw.

Sine wave controllers are a bit more expensive/complex than square wave controllers but should also provide a ?smoother? ride? (just repeating what ive read, only having experiences sine wave controllers?????)

So your probably on the look out for a 15-17amp (peak power) sinewave controller with the plug option most suited to your bike.. (if you have a choice avoid the 'waterproof' julet style. They are a good idea until it comes to tracking down a fault.. .)

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I find a short male to female extension lead solves all the issues around access for faultfinding, and in non-fault mode, which should be most of the time, neat and reasonably weatherproof connectors have some advantages.

Add extra layers of protection if concerned. We have an expert on that...

I split a short extension in two, add a terminal block in the middle to join back together, making everything accessible.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the hub has the same julet 9 pin connector then most motors should work, one isn't guaranteed wire matching colour will be 100% though I have had no issues with Bafang , AKM, MXUS and other hubs .
If a motor doesn't run 100% then one has to go thru the 36 possible motor/hall combos to find maybe three or four combo's that will work well, for this one will need a KT that has the separte phase and hall wire connectors so as to be able to change wire combo's.