Just agreed to by a second hand bike

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Trek FX 7.5, quite old but expensive aftermarket wheels etc, not that much abuse. Ding on top tube but nothing serious. Too good to convert really. Paying £130 which I think is a good deal!
No disc Brakes which is a bummer.

I'll either keep it or my son will take it.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
With a tsdz8 at about 4 kg and 1.9kg for battery and under 10kg for the bike, should still be light.

I am going to change the rear cassette and the granny gear and see how I get without a motor...

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
£200 on ebay so about market price cost of missing parts

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
There are no missing parts. Turns out the wheels are original as well. Price is good to fair. My son yesterday bought an almost identical fx 7.6 for -£140 delivered and that bike looks in very good condition. The seller made a mistake on delivery, listing it at £17.50, it’s actually costing him £65 but he has agreed to honour the sale - let’s see if it turns up.

There are plenty of treks in poor condition for those prices, not much that’s any good. Not deal of the century but a ready to roll hybrid bike under 10kg for south of £150 isn’t bad either. There are a lot of much crappier bikes going for a lot more. My bike is from a friend of a friend so its history is known.

Will put an 11 to 34t cassette on mine and use my legs and lungs - if I’m going to have an analogue bike, it must be quite light. My TSDZ2 crapcycle will live on and I may have a reasonably cheap Cannondale Trail 5 coming my way, hope a TSDZ8 will fit that. No more bikes after that…

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There are no missing parts. Turns out the wheels are original as well. Price is good to fair. My son yesterday bought an almost identical fx 7.6 for -£140 delivered and that bike looks in very good condition. The seller made a mistake on delivery, listing it at £17.50, it’s actually costing him £65 but he has agreed to honour the sale - let’s see if it turns up.

There are plenty of treks in poor condition for those prices, not much that’s any good. Not deal of the century but a ready to roll hybrid bike under 10kg for south of £150 isn’t bad either. There are a lot of much crappier bikes going for a lot more. My bike is from a friend of a friend so its history is known.

Will put an 11 to 34t cassette on mine and use my legs and lungs - if I’m going to have an analogue bike, it must be quite light. My TSDZ2 crapcycle will live on and I may have a reasonably cheap Cannondale Trail 5 coming my way, hope a TSDZ8 will fit that. No more bikes after that…
Only the disc brake version should be converted unless you're less than about 75kg. Even then, the disc brake one would be better. As part of the conversion, change the cable brakes to hydraulics.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Only the disc brake version should be converted unless you're less than about 75kg. Even then, the disc brake one would be better. As part of the conversion, change the cable brakes to hydraulics.
The plan is not to convert either of the Treks, although my crapcycle has rim brakes and I’ve not died yet. The Cannondale already has hydraulic disc brakes and that’s the one I’ll convert. The Trek is to get some exercise mainly, likely to only use in the dry and I’ve not had much issue with well adjusted rim brakes as long as being sensible - main issue has been when I have been a bit slack on maintenance. My son is less than 75kg, need to feed him up a bit. Really, I bought the 1st Trek for my son and he went and and bought one himself anyway…his will be used for commuting and he needs to take it on and off a train and up stairs so he needs a light non-electric bike. He won’t be riding too many hills.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
YOU said

"No disc Brakes which is a bummer. "

From which I guessed they were missing
I guess the more usual interpretation of what he said would be that disc brakes were on his list of ideal qualities but that other kinds of brakes were on the bike.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
This is the one my son has just bought:

Here is the one Ive got. Pedals are SPD on one side and quite rusty (taken from another bike) otherwise I think it is ok.
IMG_0862.jpeg

I also have the Cannondale trail 5 downstairs (friend dropped it around last night for me to take a look at and measure up), turns out it was a slightly older version with mechanical disc brakes but another friend has a set of hydraulic brakes he’ll let me have for a pint.

The Cannondale is 27.5 wheels which suits me. I ‘think’ it will take a TSDZ8…need to check. Will take some photos later.

That’s 3 reasonable bikes for just over £400. If I put a TSDZ8 on the Cannondale I’ll stick with my existing bag battery (in a box) so just need the motor kit. I’ll keep the crapcycle for pub use and leaving in questionable places.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hope it works out but I avoid items listed like that: If I were a heavily medicated psychopathic ebay seller, I'd use this statement...

"Listed for sale on other sites."

...as a get-out clause. If the item doesn't fetch a high enough price, I'd use the 40 day ebay limit to sell for a higher price elsewhere, holding onto the buyer's money and item in the meantime... or I'd refund saying it had sold on one of those other sites... or I could tell the buyer the listing kept up in error, if I thought it can sell for more if relisted sometime later on ebay or elsewhere.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Hope it works out but I avoid items listed like that: If I were a heavily medicated psychopathic ebay seller, I'd use this statement...

"Listed for sale on other sites."

...as a get-out clause. If the item doesn't fetch a high enough price, I'd use the 40 day ebay limit to sell for a higher price elsewhere, holding onto the buyer's money in the meantime... or I'd refund saying it had sold on one of those other sites... or I could tell the buyer it had sold and the listing kept up in error, if I thought it can sell for more if relisted a few months later on ebay or elsewhere.
Well, the seller had said the bike was still available and he is arranging the courier. It’s always a bit of a risk on eBay but my experience is that buyers tend to be much better protected than sellers. He had an opportunity to pull out when he realised the courier was going to be far more expensive but he had said he will swallow the cost as his fault. Time will tell I suppose. I tend to avoid sellers without very good feedback. Anyway, my son bought it, not that I want him to be messed about either…Son paid the buy it now price rather than starting price.

I’m not super bothered, if it never turns up my son can have my Trek. I’m sure he will get refunded if the seller pulls out. He does have a tracking number so something is going to be delivered…

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
IMG_0865.jpegIMG_0866.jpeg

Cannondale above. Does have weird wide bars and short stem that my friend wants back but I have the originals which will suit me far better. The crankset is a nasty cheapo job but that would disappear anyway with mid drive. Need to see if TSDZ8 will fit. @Woosh, your opinion? Do you have key measurements of TSDZ8? I ‘think’ a TSDZ2 should fit (after rerouting cables) so hopefully the TSDZ8 isn’t more restrictive?

The Cannondale is certainly a low rent bike…cheap forks, cheap breaks, cheap crankset...but at least the frame is ok.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Tsdz8 will fit that bike and should cope well with the gear cable that runs under the bottom bracket.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
@Woosh I can’t see anyone selling spares for the tsdz8 motor. Do you stock spares?

I run my tsdz2 with dual chainrings. I know that’s not possible with TSDZ8 but hope / expect not a big deal as the motor has more grunt. It would be 44t to 34t at rear on 27.5 inch wheels. I think that should get me up most hills as I’m not a bloater.

I tend to run the TSDZ2 on level 2 out of 4 but expect I can up the assist level on TSDZ8 on hills without it going into meltdown…

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We only keep spares such as lcd, cables, controllers to avoid robbing new units for warranty repairs. For the rest, we usually recommend where you can get the parts.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
We only keep spares such as lcd, cables, controllers to avoid robbing new units for warranty repairs. For the rest, we usually recommend where you can get the parts.
Ok, I really don’t want to be left with a paperweight when in 1 year and 1 day the motor strips a gear. I know the motor is quite new but I can’t see any spares online anywhere and it is putting me off quite a lot. It definitely looks better put together than the TSDZ2 but I'm sure it isn't bombproof...

Might have a rethink and either go with Bafang or rear hub. There is no great rush, I can take my time as the crapcycle lives and I can ride this analogue for a bit should the crapcycle crap out again.

Reactions: Woosh

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Just an update. My son received his eBay bike and is happy with it. Looks like it was poorly set up. Apparently it mostly looks like new but rear rims worn - looks like previous owner cycled around with poorly adjusted brakes. I’ve not actually seen it yet but he is happy. I’ve got my Trek which is definitely a bit more beat up but mechanically sound - needs a new chain.

I never really intended to convert this bike and having ridden it will definitely not. It’s a 3x9 with a 26t big cog at the back and a 26t granny ring - so lowest gear is 1 to 1. I cycled it up my long steep hill to my house and managed it. What surprised me was that overall it was easier than the other bike I have just got, a Cannondale 650b wheels with 22t granny ring and 34t at the rear.

Ok, on the Trek I did have to get out the saddle for a short section, the hill is 16%, but I was amazed at how the lower weight and rolling resistance made such a big difference. I’m going to swap the 26t granny ring for a 22t and I think that will mean I can stay in the saddle. Had intended to swap the cassette but I don’t think that will be necessary. The bike feels very fast compared with the other bikes I’ve been riding recently and surprisingly comfortable on the skinny tyres. Even the rim brakes feel more than adequate - certainly in the dry. I’ll mainly use this bike for riding for fun and I am really enjoying it.

The Cannondale feels like riding around on a tank, slow and unresponsive. It will make a good electric conversion though, hydraulic brakes, sturdy wheels, still relatively comfortable. I don’t think I’ll enjoy ridding it over the cutoff speed for long though. Still deciding which motor. My TSDZ2 will fit if I re-route derailleur cable. I would get TSDZ8 but not with lack of spare parts. Reluctantly considering Bafang mid-drive or rear hub conversion. Certainly would prefer to be able to use existing 48v ‘box’ battery.

Recently swapped brakes over on my crapcycle and they are much better. Still v brakes and very cheap ones at that, but they actually stop the bike now. The crapcycle will live on as my pub bike…

Last edited: