Is this bike any good?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
looks like a bafang/8fun clone middrive motor rust and rim brakes dont help most expensive part is the batt and how old it is and how many charge cycles.

Itsashambles

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
oldham
looks like a bafang/8fun clone middrive motor rust and rim brakes dont help most expensive part is the batt and how old it is and how many charge cycles.
This person bought it second hand a year ago. But has hardly used it.
I know you can’t judge anything by this. But the house is massive . Seems legit
Plus it’s 300 … apparently no issues

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if the batt goes bad it will cost u 300 for a new one as these things dont like being not used or charged and the bike is not worth much at all.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Bike is ancient. I wouldn't buy, but £300 is OK...ish. This bike is really better than your earlier bikes?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0120_03.JPG

;)

Attachments

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Argos sale prices have set a very low price bar in the back of my mind..

A future vintage British built? bike may have some extra value?

I would ask the seller to charge the battery in advance of the 'check it over visit' and take a meter to read the fully charged battery voltage as an indicator of battery health, tho it might still sag by 10v as soon as you apply any load ;)

If the bike rings your bells (I chose mine - see icon), seems good value to you, and checks out mechanically/electrically when you test it out. Go for it.. but haggle, without talking yourself out of the deal if you want it.. but a lil lip pursing while raising concerns about battery age might be worth a few beer tokens?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I see bikes like that for sale for les than £100 at my local Cash Converters, minus the kit of course. I'd assume the battery is junk - personally, I'd ask what voltage the battery charges to, inspect the cells and look up tests online, measure cell bank voltages, shake my head tutting and make a lowball offer of £150 regardless of the answer and negotiate from there, saying the battery is crap and knackered. The thing might have been left out in the rain for weeks and the display could be invisibly water damaged, cables could be damaged by overtight zipties, bearings might have been crushed or damaged by careless fitting, the battery could have been overegged beyond it's continuous current discharge capability via BBSXXX controller firmware programming... then I'd say shocks are shocking, brakes need upgrading because it's electric, pads discs tyres inner tubes and tyres need replacing, seat is horrible, frame needs stripping painting and new decals, say that BBSXXX motor is illegal, you don't like the look of the warts on his face, his wife is a beast and needs shaving etc. etc. etc. A brand new BBS01B kit without battery costs about £250 from PSWPower, a forum member bought one recently. Explain that such a hairy missus will catch fire easy. Tell the dude this bike is a fireball deathtrap and demand money to take it away from his home.

Last edited: