Insuring Electric bikes on a Motorhome?

richard11

Just Joined
Oct 8, 2011
My wife and I each have a Marin cycle with an Alien bikes electric conversion on them. The bikes cost about £300 each 4 years ago and the motors about £500 each.

I am just about to renew my household insurance and find that most insurance seems to limit value of each well below their value, doesn't cover electric assisted bikes and usually insist that they are secured to a fixed post when left away from home.

The other main problem for us is that we have a motorhome with a bike rack on the rear and whilst we do lock them on to it, that is not what the insurance people would call a fixed post etc. Also many companies seem to actually exclude items in a caravan or motorhome when away from home anyway!

Has anyone any advice as to where to cheaply insure electric bikes away from home please?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
when we bought our new more expensive e bikes this year I had to change insurance companies and was recommended by someone on here UIA. we where previously with Tesco but they had a lower limit but many others cover e bikes. Some up to £1000 some £1500 (UIA £2000) They are covered here and abroad (we have a motorhome) But like you say they have to be secured to a immovable object.

we use 2 decent locks, an Abus D lock plus a Pragmasis chain and squire padlock. we also have an alarm fitted to one bike. we then use our 2 Kryptonite cables (normally used for securing wheels to D lock) through the frames and attached to rear towing bracket. had 4.5 weeks in Italy/Croatia this summer without incident

when on site we would secure to a lamp post etc...and use our fiamma bike rack cover as well

Last edited:

tonyishuk

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2011
We are in a similar situation. My insurance agent said that a number of insurance companies view "Electric Bikes" as motorised transport and there fore not in the realm of house insurance. £2500 on a road bike >> OK' £1000 on an Ebike >>> Don,t want to know.

Luckily for us our insurance company has a £1500 limit per article and are willing to insure the electric bikes on the motorhome, £1501 would mean an increase in premium. Like most things in life you only get what you pay for and a lot of the comparison sites for whatever insurance , car, home, medical etc, you only get the bad news after you claim.

I told him we were carring the bikes on a Thule towbar carrier which locks to the towbar, the carrier has locks which secure the bikes to the carrier. The Insurance company wanted extra locks on the bikes to the carrier. No problem as that is what we intend to do.

Panniers are not included in the insurance as the cost would take the "Ebike" value over the magic £1500. The contents of the panniers Camera, GPS etc are covered by house hold insurance.

Just hope we do not have to test the system !

Rgds

karl101

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2011
We are in a similar situation. My insurance agent said that a number of insurance companies view "Electric Bikes" as motorised transport and there fore not in the realm of house insurance. £2500 on a road bike >> OK' £1000 on an Ebike >>> Don,t want to know
UIA quoted me just under £110 a year for a Wisper 905SEL and that was for normal use, out and about.

Karl.