Hydraulic Disc Brake

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Somebody just pointed this out on ES. It works out at about £64 with postage, Does anyone know what the Bionx sensor is? Is it just a switch? I thought it worth a punt anyway, so I ordered one as 364 isn't bad even for one without a switch. Some people are happy to pay that for the pads alone.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I'm not sure what your refering to on ES, but yes, the brake switch supplied with Bionx kits is a hall effect sensor. The sensor is stuck to the underside of the brake lever shroud with double sided adhesive foam tape, the neodinium magnet attached to the lever in the same way.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the switch operates the same as the momentary switches usually found on e-bikes, trouble is I can't remember if that is 'normally open' or 'normally closed :eek:, and I'm not going down to the workshop this time of night to find out :eek:

hope this helps
Bob

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I don't think it makes any difference how many wires there are. If it's a hall effect sensor it will need voltage across the collector for it to send a closed/open signal to the controller. An electro/mechanical switch does the same with two wires.

Anyway, I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge of electronics, sorry, I'm out of ideas.

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi. I have just seen a compleat hydraulic front brake kit including disc in Go Outdoors for £47.95 but no electrical sensors? but good value.

umazooma

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 22, 2011
okay - so who makes an in-line pressure switch for ebike hydraulic brakes?? For cable brakes i have the in-line hall effect swtches with three wires from china and they work fine.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can use any car or motorbike one, but you need to tee into your brake lines and add a banjo fitting. They cost about £5 to £10. Juicybikes do a complete brake for about £100 IIRC.

I ended up buying two of those Tektro sets. The switch is a simple two wire one - same as a normal ebike switch. They were a bargain. I wish I'd bought more of them.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Magura do an in line pressure switch for hydraulic disc brakes. It comes with bionx connector else just cut it off and fit on one which matches your controller.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2