How steep is this slope?

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi at221

That does look steep, but its hard to gauge from that angle - it may be easier if you photograph it in "profile" i.e. looking at the slope from the "side" (like that photo of Flecc's 12% hill) taking care to keep the camera level.

Try to find a section of slope which is a good representation of the gradient; any "level" brickwork etc. in the background can also help to estimate the slope.

You could also try Flecc's guide to measuring your hill's gradient for an accurate measurement.

P.S. to convert a "1 in 8" or 1/8 fraction type of measure to a percentage figure e.g. 14%, and vice versa, simply divide into or by 100:

e.g. 1 in 8 as a percentage = (100/8)% = 12.5%

or 14% as a "fraction" = 14/100 = 0.14 or just over 1/7 (~1 in 7.143)

Hope that helps :).

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Almost impossible to be accurate at that angle, but the section further along where the cars are perked outside the houses is possibly around 12% or a little steeper. The foreground slope looks less, but as said, that's little better than a guess.

at221

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2007
ill take a better photo tomorrow. This hill kind of increase in steepness as you up further up. So my guess is about 10% at the bottom to 14% at the top

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks at221, it certainly looks like that as I live up a similar hill, 10% going through 12% to 14% and a final bit of 17%.

You'll be pleased to know my Quando hasn't he slightest problem with that, and today towed my large trailer up there twice. Without the trailer it only needs the lightest of effort on the pedals to do it at around 10 mph, and if I'm content with 7/8 mph, just the lightest touch of pedalling is enough.

at221

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2007
Well, thats good news. Flecc, do you think the Quando is the best hill climber?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's the best hill climbing full speed legal e-bike in our market, and probably in the world.

The only one I know of that can just about beat it at that is the eZee Chopper, but that's one's motor has been geared down for that purpose, so it only reaches about 13 mph. The Quando easily runs at 15+ mph on the flat without pedalling, you'll see how much when you get yours, and it's very much faster up the hills than the Chopper.

I cycle up 14% at 10 mph with ease, and by standing on the pedals comfortably do the same towing my big fat tyred trailer, all up weight about 115 kilos.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Ok 14% BUT HOW FAR?

It's the best hill climbing full speed legal e-bike in our market, and probably in the world.

The only one I know of that can just about beat it at that is the eZee Chopper, but that's one's motor has been geared down for that purpose, so it only reaches about 13 mph. The Quando easily runs at 15+ mph on the flat without pedalling, you'll see how much when you get yours, and it's very much faster up the hills than the Chopper.

I cycle up 14% at 10 mph with ease, and by standing on the pedals comfortably do the same towing my big fat tyred trailer, all up weight about 115 kilos.
Hi Flecc:
I have a million questions about the Quando because some of my intended uses are not related to the UK which only has (mole)hills.
How far would a Quando travel, without pedaling, on a gradient of 10% at minimum(ish) speed - let's say 6 to 8 mph?
Oh, the load , for the sake of the calculation would be 110Kg plus the bike.
Peter
PS I've got your trailer strapped permanently to my body.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't really know how well it will do that Peter, as that's roughly 137 kilos gross, and all my experience is with 100 kilos (me and bike) or up to 110 kilos with a pannier load. Doing it with the trailer wouldn't really reflect the real situation, since there's the considerable drag of the two fat tyres added.

I'll try to get some idea in practice though, by loading up a bit and checking it.

Not today though, as I'm still catching up after being despondently down deepest, darkest, dial-up Dorset for a while. :)

Last edited:

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
I don't really know how well it will do that Peter, as that's roughly 137 kilos gross, and all my experience is with 100 kilos (me and bike) or up to 110 kilos with a pannier load. Doing it with the trailer wouldn't really reflect the real situation, since there's the considerable drag of the two fat tyres added.

I'll try to get some idea in practice though, by loading up a bit and checking it.

Not today though, as I'm still catching up after being despondently down deepest, darkest, dial-up Dorset for a while. :)
I forgot to mention "ON ONE 10Ah BATTERY". The hill I had in mind was 17 km long. You might have difficulty in finding a hill long enough in Croydon to make a fair test. In fact in the whole of the UK. I wondered if you had a formula that would give an approximation for practical purposes.
If the Quando will do 20 miles on the flat with no assistance (confirm that) - what difference would a 10% grade make? Reduce it to 10 miles? 7 miles? 5 miles?:eek:
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It won't do that 20 miles Peter, about 14/15 miles normally on mixed terrain and about 17 at most on the flat. Very little difference due to the 70" gear limiting the amount of pedalling help given.

I couldn't even guess at what a continuous hill would do to the range.

at221

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2007
Change of topic :). I have heard that there are bike which can recharge by the action of pedalling. This seems to me a really good way of biking.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Same reaction as Peter! They're really meant to do the recharging when running downhill by using the kinetic energy stored when climbing or on the flat, but a bike's weight and speed isn't conducive to a worthwhile recovery of energy. The latest to do that is the new Twist, but testers have found it impossible to determine if there's really any gain. The consensus of technical opinion is that it's no more than a selling point.

Last edited: