How Olympics Officials Try to Catch “Motor Doping”

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not for me, then I'm using Win7 right now..
Same here. 64 bit Firefox ESR. This message can be dismissed by clicking the cross:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
They must be thick or something. All they need to do is weigh the bike. It would be around 2kg heavier to get anything useful out of it. They don't need any fancy detection equipment. I can't see a motor being an advantage anyway. They ride all day. Any power advantage they get from the short time they can use a small concealed battery will be more than overcome by the disadvantage of carrying the extra weight for the whole day.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
...... Any power advantage they get from the short time they can use a small concealed battery will be more than overcome by the disadvantage of carrying the extra weight for the whole day.
Racers can change their bikes during a stage so I think a bike change with the extra motor power towards the end of a race stage that ends with a sprint or hill climb could be of benefit, provided they can get away with it. (On some stages of say the tour de france, all the racing really only takes place in the last few kilometers). Just a thought...

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Racers can change their bikes during a stage so I think a bike change with the extra motor power towards the end of a race stage that ends with a sprint or hill climb could be of benefit, provided they can get away with it. (On some stages of say the tour de france, all the racing really only takes place in the last few kilometers). Just a thought...
OK, that would make more sense, but they can still check the bike quickly by weighing it.

Have you seen them loading up with about 6 or more bottles of water to get a higher speed on the long downhill bits, then they chuck them when they get to the bottom?

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
If you look at a sprint ending below, it all takes place in less than a minute. The final surge of power is only for a few seconds,So for a sprinter at a foreseeable sprint end stage, my guess is that he needs perhaps a few hundreds watts to supplement his muscle power (1500w?) but for only a short time...So battery wise, a cheater does not need very high capacity but does need very high discharge., like drone batteries, which might not be that heavy.

Last edited: