How close

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Having fixed my bike yesterday I was cycling up a steep single track road - 16%, and was making steady progress. Someone I sort of know (suspect they didn't recognise me) decided it was appropriate to barge past in their pickup, passing not more than 12 inches away. Sure, they were not going fast. And maybe I should have cycled in the middle of the lane - well, I definitely should have.

Said section of road doesn't really leave a safe place to even stop and let a car past, but a hundred yards further on there is a reasonable passing place. As a local, the driver would have known that. Trying to squash past a cyclist ascending a steep hill so closely is madness, obviously at slow speeds a cyclist is going to be a bit unstable and wobbly.

I am really not sure what goes on in people's heads, who is really in that much of a hurry that they can't hold back for 60 seconds? Who is so unaware that their pickup truck will easily squish a cyclist.

The mind boggles.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Dangerous behaviour like that really got on my nerves. That sort of thing hasn't happened since I installed this contraption - no close overtaking and cutting in front too close either. It's a struggle to record dramatic video to post these days. For me, cycling is now largely stress free, aside from the many potoles. They zoom too fast past this instead, which is 39.99cm away from the end of my handlebar. Swivels out of the way if hit, without altering steering angle, tested it out.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I suspect that the driver was somewhat unaware of how dangerous their manoeuvre was - but that's still not an excuse for such irresponsible driving. The whole leaving 1.5 m when passing a cyclist is very difficult where I live and I usually wave a driver to overtake when I'm comfortable that the road ahead is safe enough. However, showing a bit of common sense and attempting to anticipate when a cyclist is most vulnerable isn't too much to ask is it. Tbh, most of my closer calls are usually approaching bends where cars try and squeeze past before getting into the bend rather than wait for a clear line of sight post bend.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

IMVIP reduces price to £31.50 including delivery + £6.99 class 10 64GB micro SD card.

I just mounted it on the handlebars and turn on the image stabilization (2.7k) - 3GB file produced every 15 mins - connect it via USB to my bike battery - not reported anyone yet, but a couple of times it has been a bit close

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
However, showing a bit of common sense and attempting to anticipate when a cyclist is most vulnerable isn't too much to ask is it.
Of course it's too much to ask! Clearly, the importance of what they're in such a hurry to do trounces your safety. Taxi drivers were the worst, van drivers were also the worst, cars and SUVs, buses, lorries, and everything else on the road were the worst too.

...but not any more! :cool:

esuark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
Tbh, most of my closer calls are usually approaching bends where cars try and squeeze past before getting into the bend rather than wait for a clear line of sight post bend.
This happens so often and I'm always amazed how they get away with it, with the many close calls I`ve seen so far. I once pulled into a farm gate way hoping to cycle slowly to let the vehicle behind pass but he stopped blocking me to complain that I should have pulled over earlier. He was obviously in no hurry if he had the time to remonstrate with me. I told him to clear off.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
CyclingMikey films them, reports them and gets them prosecuted:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
The immediate deterrent is a horizontal stick with a flag on the end, which reminds drivers that space matters to a cyclist.

Camera and reporting is the next level, and in many UK police areas, this is now very simple via Operation Snap.

Some drivers still think a miss is as good as a mile, and will only learn the hard way.

Here's a big truck on my recent trip up north, about 30cm away with a wide empty A road to play with.

GX042081_1718194640317.JPG

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I have two dashcams and one rear camera on my car and report on average a moron a week to GoSafe.

On the bike GoPro on rear, GoPro on handlebars and JDI Osmo action 4K camera on helmet, if you don't report them one day they will hit someone.

To date I have had them receive everything from a warning to a £6000 company fine and 6 points.

I love cycle mikey on youtube HIS father was killed cycling which is why he does what he does.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Here's a big truck on my recent trip up north, about 30cm away with a wide empty A road to play with.
Turbulence caused by passing so close to your flat topped solar trailer, makes that stupidity all the more troubling.

I've yet to try this super cheapo version ie GuerneySiderating IllumireflectorLite™℠ ®©, largely because I have yet to re-assemble the Dahon Espresso 26" wheeled folding bike I intend to try it with. Simply poke some holes into a small water bottle, cut off the end, weave some foam sheet through using long zipties, secure to handlebar end through bottle cap:

They'll zoom close past this instead. It shouldn't affect steering much if struck, but I haven't tested that yet, by bashing it into things. If it does, I'll make long horizontal cuts along the bottle to make it floppier. Dahon reflective ankle band for a touch of much needed class, and to inspire confidence.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
A couple of examples of not brilliant driving, useful just to have the camera running : won't report either of these (second one cut in to cyclist two ahead of me to avoid head on). Second one felt a lot worse but video seems opposite

Can easily pick out numberplate

Feel like as many cyclists / e-cyclists as possible should have a camera

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers