Help please Noise

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
Please listen to the noise this make on the video clip.

I have just built this up using new and almost new parts But when starting from a standstill it jumps and makes a noise. When running the hub is quiet.

Once running it’s fine and can cover 6 miles with lots of battery left.

if I turn the power down low or use the PAS it will start without the jumping but I still think it’s a bit noisy.

thanks you

Attachments

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Is the back axle wobbly? sounds like under load the rear wheel is pulled out of line and brakes start rubbing??
do you get the same noise uphill?

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
No it’s secure.
The wheel is almost new .

I wired colour to colour but what happens if the phase wires were different ?

I don’t think it’s mechanical but I am still learning

thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The controller is losing sync with the motor. there are several possible causes:
Motor connector not in far enough;
Motor cable damaged;
Bullet connector at the controller end not tight enough;
Controller setting not right (mainly KT controller);
Controller compatibility issue.

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
The controller is losing sync with the motor. there are several possible causes:
Motor connector not in far enough;
Motor cable damaged;
Bullet connector at the controller end not tight enough;
Controller setting not right (mainly KT controller);
Controller compatibility issue.
Thanks for the reply.
The wiring between the motor and controller is all new and good connectors.
There are no bullet connectors. I have plastic block connectors with soldered wire crimped tight and soldered.
Can you explain about incompatibility please.
AsI said I joined colour to colour from the controller to the motor but from what I read that is not always correct?
Thank you

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for the reply.
The wiring between the motor and controller is all new and good connectors.
There are no bullet connectors. I have plastic block connectors with soldered wire crimped tight and soldered.
Can you explain about incompatibility please.
AsI said I joined colour to colour from the controller to the motor but from what I read that is not always correct?
Thank you
I said to make sure the motor connector is in far enough, not to check whether it's old or new. There is a line, which the outer must reach. 1mm short of that line is too far.

Which controller and LCD do you have?
I've never seen a block connector at the controller end for the three motor phase wires. Is it possible to show a photo?

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
I said to make sure the motor connector is in far enough, not to check whether it's old or new. There is a line, which the outer must reach. 1mm short of that line is too far.

Which controller and LCD do you have?
I've never seen a block connector at the controller end for the three motor phase wires. Is it possible to show a photo?
Sorry I thought you was meaning the 5 thin wires that I fitted the plastic block to.

The main 3 wires are secure. And attached is a picture of my Controller.

the controller and display all came as a kit.

It does feel as though something can’t get enough power when on high setting.

although the wheel is almost new I did buy it in so don’t know it’s history.

thanks Ken

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sorry I thought you was meaning the 5 thin wires that I fitted the plastic block to.

although the wheel is almost new I did buy it in so don’t know it’s history.

thanks Ken
I meant the connector at the motor end of the cable - if you have one. Those Brainpower controllers are very good for compatibility, so I don't think that's going to be the problem, but it's leading me to the possible cause. Did you do the self-learning procedure (also called intelligent identification and words like that? The self-learning configures the controller for your motor.

AngeG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2024

although the wheel is almost new here I did buy it in so don’t know it’s history.

thanks Ken
It might be worth checking to see if the controller supports the settings you're using, or try recalibrating it.

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
You mean the small 9 pin connector?
yes that’s solid
it’s very basic from what I can see to set up.

It found its own voltage and you get
wheel size.
magnet count.
speed dection. This means fitting the magnet on a spoke and a sensor and choosing 1 or 0. I fitted the same kit a few weeks ago and the only difference this made was that it only shows speed while on power without it. This bike never used the throttle, only PAS and was fine.
oh and battery min voltage that I set to 29v .
that’s about all I found and the instructions are very poorly translated

can I ask if colour to colour on the wires to the wheel will be correct. I have read that these can be wrong.
once moving this is quiet and runs fine.

I looked up the number on the hub and wheel I bought and it says 7” wheel width so this may have been respoked but it is 20” and looks new.

thanks for your help

Last edited:

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
Re Self learning
if you mean the wire you join and part that sets the direction then yes I used that But only for direction .

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You mean the small 9 pin connector?
yes that’s solid
it’s very basic from what I can see to set up.

It found its own voltage and you get
wheel size.
magnet count.
speed dection. This means fitting the magnet on a spoke and a sensor and choosing 1 or 0. I fitted the same kit a few weeks ago and the only difference this made was that it only shows speed while on power without it. This bike never used the throttle, only PAS and was fine.
oh and battery min voltage that I set to 29v .
that’s about all I found and the instructions are very poorly translated

can I ask if colour to colour on the wires to the wheel will be correct. I have read that these can be wrong.
once moving this is quiet and runs fine.

I looked up the number on the hub and wheel I bought and it says 7” wheel width so this may have been respoked but it is 20” and looks new.

thanks for your help
Solid is not enough. The outer either reaches the line or it doesn't. Which is it?

There are three combinations of the wires that make the motor go forward and three that make it go backwards. Sometimes, there's a bit of asymmetry, so some combinations work better than the other, or a difference between backwards and forwards if you have a reversing controller. Confirm your motor connector is in, as I described, then it might be worth using the wire combination to reverse, then use the self-learning to reverse it back.

IIRC, to reverse, you switch the yellow and blue phase wires and the yellow and green hall wires.

Self-learning:
Switch off the controller;
connect the self-learning wires;
lift the motor wheel and switch on;
wait for the wheel to start rotating slowly;
switch off;
disconnect the self-learning wires;
switch on;
be happy.
If the motor goes in the wrong direction, repeat the procedure. Each time you do it, it reverses direction. Don't forget to disconnect the green wires.

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
I understand what your saying and will check and Change the wires and reset the rotation
thanks

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
Hello
I tried changing the wires but it had no effect. Found it tricky using the learning wire but got there in the end.
I am wondering if the hub was not as new as I was told. I am feeling it’s been re-spoked.
I made sure the connectors were aligned with the mark on the male pins.

Its as if under heavy load something can’t deal with the power.

I am thinking that maybe I should send back the controller if I am not too late or I just live with it?
would there be any point in looking inside of the hub?

Thanks Ken

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hello
I tried changing the wires but it had no effect. Found it tricky using the learning wire but got there in the end.
I am wondering if the hub was not as new as I was told. I am feeling it’s been re-spoked.
I made sure the connectors were aligned with the mark on the male pins.

Its as if under heavy load something can’t deal with the power.

I am thinking that maybe I should send back the controller if I am not too late or I just live with it?
would there be any point in looking inside of the hub?

Thanks Ken
It's not a motor problem. The controller is losing synchronisation with it under heavy load. This problem is nearly normal when you run a motor sensorless. Yours should be in sensor mode. Is there a setting in the LCD to force it to or choose sensorless mode?

You should check that the motor halls are actually switching because your controller will switch to sensorless mode automatically when it thinks they're not connected. Set your meter to 20v scale or whatever. Stick the probes up the back of the connector on the controller side while connected. Black probe to black wire and red probe to blue, yellow and green in turn, while you rotate the motor wheel BACKWARDS. you should see 5v switching on and off many times with each rotation, so rotate slowly.

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
Thank for your help
I am wanting to learn but getting to the edge of what I can take in but think I have it.
do you think I should claim a return for my controller before it’s too late ?

One thing I didn’t mention.
My wheel came with short wires only and no 9 pin connector.
I joined wires with the same thickness wires both thick and thin. I joined them by soldering twisted wires and then slid a heat shrink over each wire and a heat shrink over all of them to protect.
it’s not possible for the wires to give any sort of bad signal where there is only heat shrink for insulation?

The diagram and settings attached

Thank you

Attachments

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thank for your help
I am wanting to learn but getting to the edge of what I can take in but think I have it.
do you think I should claim a return for my controller before it’s too late ?

One thing I didn’t mention.
My wheel came with short wires only and no 9 pin connector.
I joined wires with the same thickness wires both thick and thin. I joined them by soldering twisted wires and then slid a heat shrink over each wire and a heat shrink over all of them to protect.
it’s not possible for the wires to give any sort of bad signal where there is only heat shrink for insulation?

The diagram and settings attached

Thank you
I've done that many times and never had a problem. Did you test the halls?