Heavyweight e-Bikes... or e-Bikes for heavyweights...

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
After seeing me doing almost all my travelling on an ebike for a while now, my father-in-law has wondered if perhaps he should invest in one. The problem is he is 68, 6ft tall and 135kgs.

He badly wants to lose weight, but it just seems to be increasing. I know my aurora is unsuitable as he needs a step-thru, so he cannot even test it, and 2 other companies in Bristol that had ebikes that he popped into out of interest said they have nothing suitable.

Is there anything reasonable available for him? I was just reading the other threads about the benefits in combating against all sorts of health dangers as he gets older. He loved cycling when he was younger, and would love to get back into it.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Hi Gsol
don't know which bikes may be suitable ready made, but if there are none available maybe a conversion may be appropriate

gray

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Have a word with 50cycles about the Kalkhoff Agattu XXL model that's made expressly for the big and heavy rider and will easily cope with your father-in-law. Although they don't have it shown on their website, they have supplied them previously and may be able to get one:

50cycles contact page

D

Deleted member 4366

Powabyke shopper. Has a steel frame and a high torque motor for good hill-climbing. Stepthrough so easy to get on and off. If he manages to lose a bit of weight, he can gt another bike later, but this one should be perfect for him. You might have to get one on Ebay, where they're often cheap because someone forgot to charge the batteries, which knackers them. If you get one like that you can put a nice lithium battery in the case.
Powabyke Shopper Electric Bike | eBay
Powabyke 6 Speed Shopper | eBay

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
Thanks for the suggestions, the Agattu XXL unfortunately doesn't have step-thru, he cannot raise his leg high enough to mount it (same problem as with my Aurora for him).
The Powabyke shopper seems reasonable, has anyone done the lithium conversion, is it reliable, and a few internet searches didn't really clarify if it can handle the 135kgs. I would hate for it to snap/break at a weakpoint when going over a small pothole or bump!
Otherwise, like Gray suggested, it may have to be a conversion...

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hi GSol

Could be worth trying an A2B Metro. Very well built, high torque and full suspension.

Can put you in touch with a dealer if needs be.

All the best
Mark