Green-Hybrid Jason ebike. Opinions please...

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Anybody...?
No idea, and web page tells us nothing about which motor etc. Big price reduction alone is not reason to buy.

Range will be about 30 miles, probably has a 2A charger so 5-6 hours to recharge. The bike is not the end of the story for long trips!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It has the TCM Bewo/Biwu motor that Woosh used to have in some of their bikes. It doesn't have a good reputation for reliability. maybe Woosh can give more information on that.

You have to ask the question what will you do if it goes wrong? Who's going to fix it? Where will you get spare parts from?

Personally, I'd get a bike with a standard hub motor, battery and other parts, so that you'll always be able to get spares, and all parts are interchangeable, which gives you the opportunity to upgrade as new parts become available. On your suggested bike, the battery and controller are standard, but the motor can only be replaced with the same - if you can find one, and if you can't, the bike is scrap.

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020
Yes - all good points, and fully noted. So what would you recommend as a mid-drive, torque-sensing hybrid bike for a ride across France on cycle tracks and back roads? Don't need suspension. Budget of £2000 max, but very happy to pay less.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yes - all good points, and fully noted. So what would you recommend as a mid-drive, torque-sensing hybrid bike for a ride across France on cycle tracks and back roads? Don't need suspension. Budget of £2000 max, but very happy to pay less.
Are you going over the Alps?

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
23.5kg (even including 36V 11.4Ah battery) seems a bit heavy - The Argos £360 bargain hub bike that people got here was 20.3kg inclduing battery - that would probably be a better bet - fits standard 20Ah and 17Ah Hailong batteries (with the correct ports) too

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
No! North to South on easy, scenic bike paths or and roads.
In that case, I'd get a bike with a hub-motor, and, for touring, a cadence sensor bike would be better too, especially if you're planning long days. What do you see as the advantage of a mid-motor and torque sensor?

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020
I suppose mid-motor with torque sensor is what I'm used to. I bought s Tongsheng mid motor and have fitted it to 3 different bikes now. I have ridden a cadence sensing bike and didn't like it at all. When starting off,and when toiling up hills at low revs - just when you need a lot of help, there was little assistance. As revs increased, so do assistance. Couldn't get my head round it at all. Compared to, say, rear hub motor, isn't a mid-drive a more direct, more efficient way of using the motor's power? I don't know much about these things. When I bought the Tongsheng kit (lockdown project), crank drive was seen as better than hub drive.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I suppose mid-motor with torque sensor is what I'm used to. I bought s Tongsheng mid motor and have fitted it to 3 different bikes now. I have ridden a cadence sensing bike and didn't like it at all. When starting off,and when toiling up hills at low revs - just when you need a lot of help, there was little assistance. As revs increased, so do assistance. Couldn't get my head round it at all. Compared to, say, rear hub motor, isn't a mid-drive a more direct, more efficient way of using the motor's power? I don't know much about these things. When I bought the Tongsheng kit (lockdown project), crank drive was seen as better than hub drive.
Some bikes with cadence sensors and hub-motors are terrible, others are brilliant. The Bafang BBS01 has a cadence sensor. A lot of people like it. I think I prefer it to the Tongsheng for a long ride, especially long hills, but my hub-motored bike trounces both of them. I have an AKM 128 motor with KT controller.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
What you need is a bike on which you would be comfortable to ride for many hours. I would suggest full suspension. Eventually suspension seatpost and suspension stem as a minimum. Also proper trekking geometry so you wouldn't end up with a neck pain after few hours.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
How much weight do you plan to carry, and what gradient and continuous length of hills do you need to have the confidence to know you can handle?