Government announces Bill to combat e-bike battery fire risks

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
ESF: "This Government now has a golden opportunity to turn the tide by introducing third-party certification for e-bike batteries, "

How are they going to determine if a battery is safe or not and who is going to pay for it?

Reactions: Scorpio

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Oh dear. Lets regulate stupid people instead. That way. We wont need to outlaw knives and forks, or ban matches. I REALLY hoped the new government would do well, but i do remember that the previous period of Labour government involved massive amounts of new regulation and beureaucracy.

As for 'who is going to pay for it', the answer of course is YOU ARE.

Also, how are reliable small businesses like those some of us have used who build and re-cell batteries, safely and reliably, going to afford massively expensive certification? The answer is that they won't be able to do it, and we will be buying £600 batteries.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Oh dear. Lets regulate stupid people instead. That way. We wont need to outlaw knives and forks, or ban matches. I REALLY hoped the new government would do well, but i do remember that the previous period of Labour government involved massive amounts of new regulation and beureaucracy.
I am more annoyed by ESF popping up with helpful hand every time.

As for 'who is going to pay for it', the answer of course is YOU ARE.
Yeah... it was kind of a rhetorical question :)

Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Whatever they do, it won't be good for us. Everybody focuses on the hood points, while they sit there smugly, but then you start to find that the regulations actually start to restrict you in ways you didn't think about.

Let's say that all new ebike batteries have to be labelled as complying with the new standard. How long before the shopping centres, pubs, etc introduce regulations that say you can't park your bike there unless it has the label, or your house insurance says you can't keep your super Haibike in your house because it doesn't have the new label that’s only on the new models?

The thing I can see happening that might be useful is different charge connectors for different voltages, but it'll probably go a stage further to intelligent chargers that are locked to the batteries, which will mean £150 for a spare or replacement charger.

The thing is, I've never seen any data on what causes these ebike fires. Everybody is making judgements. Without knowing the causes, you can't solve anything.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I think it's batteries shorting out that causes fires. I see buckets of lithium Ion batteries at work all swollen up and so far no fires.
It worries me although in a sealed store room out the way.
Reading online swollen lithium Ion batteries are not thought to be dangerous although care should be taken storing.
I think these high powered bikes are pulling too many amps or wiring is poor. That's causing fires.
Batteries should be a certain quality and code numbered so manufacturer can be banned if there is problems
Jmo