Help! Giant Twist Lite cadence error

will_aleksander

Just Joined
Dec 10, 2020
I have a giant twist lite and I'm having issues with it.
when I'm cycling intermittently I can hear and feel the motor stopping and coming back, sometimes it's quickly or not.
Something that's probably related happens, sometimes when I'll start cycling, normally with heavier gears, it took a while to start the motor.
This week the Led3 started blinking after a few minutes cycling, what I think is cadence sensor, but I'm not sure because I can't find his user manual.
Because I think this can be related with the cadence sensor I'd exchange it, but I can't find a new one to buy, this model is from 2013, so I'd ask you any help or advice, if anyone can recommend other model of sensor that suits my bike (can be like the original direct in the crank axis or can be outside like those disks).
If anyone know how to install an accelerator and/or remove the speed limit too (the motor is 350w, but the bicycle has an sticker saying that's limited to 25km/h and 250w)

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the issue is intermittent power delivery then check the PAS sensor set up. If it is a two piece sensor and magnet disc check that all is secure.
The disc should be firmly affixed to the BB shaft and it should rotate around the shaft by hand also the gap between the magnets and sensor face wants to be < 2mm spacing. Check the sensor is in the horizontal plain and is sited to the bottom of the BB shell, it again should be firmly secured in place.
Most PAS sensor have a small led that blinks on and off when a magnet passes it, this indicates a signal is being received and is wired working correctly.

Show us a pic of the PAS in place might help us a bit more.

will_aleksander

Just Joined
Dec 10, 2020
So, in my case the PAS isn't those disk ones, unfortunately, it's directly under the the crank axis, this small black plastic thing, the magnets are on the axis inside it.
I can't thing this cadence sensor in specific, so if anyone has this kind of knowledge to say me if other model of PAS could suits here/has the same signal.

fwmgaok

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 10, 2024
@will_aleksander , i think the sensors on your bike model, one of many, can be found in the bottom bracket. so just like some models where the magnets on the wheels signal the sensor on the suspension fork, on your model the sensors in the bottom brackets signal the magnet/attachment to the bottom bracket shell you have taken a picture of.

im having a similar problem, on my model (Twist Lite 2 GTS L Antracite/Satin Silver) the motor does not engage at all, is louder than usual. found a cable connector had melted when I took the box/cadence box/box with the resin covered and secured in a metal/aluminium/stainless steel case located just past the bottom bracket shell. I cleaned the connection up and reconnected the damage in wiring but that hasn't made any difference.

I spoke to a technician who at first hearing the motor reckons the motor is gone. so we opened the front hub motor casing to investigate the inside for any broke gears or water damage, all seemed fine except some of the gears did not seem to engage when manually turning by hand. its a planetarium system motor by the way. but all seemed fine when we got back to it a few days later so we put all the units back together but the issue persists.

I spoke to a giant dealer mechanic who reckons might still be the motor or an electric fault such as a poor current/power delivery to the motor so my troubleshooting continues. its interesting you have brought up the question of 'how to install an accelerator and/or remove the speed limit', please do share if you find any methods if that is possible

Advertisers