Freego Eagle Wheelbase

Davidron.

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 17, 2012
Anyone know the wheelbase measurement of a Freego Eagle.
Front hub to Rear hub

Davidron.

Apr 17, 2012
Rang a dealer who'd written it down in his little black book so I can answer my own question.
It's 120cm. The rail on my fiamma bike rack is 128cm so it's a bit close. Extensions I think.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
In the interest of safety, I must caution against taking risks with Fiamma bike racks. By taking risks, I refer to placing, for example, an extended wheelbase ebike into a channel designed for a safe working load of 15Kgs.

Although my rack is labelled as having an overall weight limit of something of the order of 65Kgs, the individual channels are limited to 15Kgs. Even without the battery, my Gazelle weighs way over 20Kgs but more importantly perhaps, vertical centre lines through the wheel hubs coincide with points slightly beyond the ends of the standard channels.

I choose not to carry my ebikes on my rack, preferring to house them in the garage, (large storage area at rear of motorhome, for the benefit of non-campers) where there is no risk of them detaching into following traffic. I have no hesitation in carrying my regular bikes on the rack, (c15Kgs each). The point I make about that extended wheelbase, even if longer channels are fitted, is that the rack fulcrum points are a long way inboard of the bike extremities and I have suffered one damaged channel due to nothing other than the normal up and down forces.

The weight factor is a consideration not only for the structural integrity of the rack. It mustn't be forgotten that the rack isn't actually bolted on to anything particularly substantial at the rear of most motorhomes. Quite simply, Fiamma racks were not designed with bikes of 25-30 Kgs in mind.

Indalo

emjaiuk

Sep 20, 2011
NW Surrey TW17
Are these longer rails or rail extensions.

David
Longer rails, 140cm long. i used part number 98656-438 simply because this was in stock in the UK. There is a special e-Bike rail available rated for 30 kgs but special order from Italy. catalouge showinf all racks and parts from

Download here catalogues, price-lists, installation instructions leaflets and support material - Fiamma

They are imported by Unipart Leisure & Marine, which although they are wholesale only have a very helpful and knowledgeble person called Stephan (If you can get passed the receptionist!). He was happy with the rail I purchased for a Carry Bike Pro C and a 22kg bike.

FWIW I dealt with World of Camping

World of Camping - Camping Equipment Suppliers, Outdoor Gear, Caravan Accessories, UK

for the purchase of the rack and rail, who not only were the cheapest for the rack, but couldn't have been more helpful.

indalo's comments regarding rack fixing are very valid, but since my fixings were factory fitted as standard for a Pro C rack I've assumed they are adequate.

Malcolm

ps Lifting the bike onto the rack should be considered. For health reasons two of us are needed and even then we don't find it easy. I'm thinking of changing my almost new ProRider for a folding bike so that it can go inside our MH. We don't have a garage.

Davidron.

Apr 17, 2012
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I'm now going to change my plans (Mainly due to Indalo)
I was going to buy two Freego Hawks and stick them on the back of the Starburst but at 22kg each I'm going to have to lower my sights. Carry on looking!!!!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
we had 2 Wispers, must be similar length I would think..we went for Thule Omni rack with 50kg weight capacity, most Fiamma racks only 30-35kg. They just about fitted OK, but went for higher spec, lighter normal wheelbase bikes with battery's within frame triangle.

just make sure you lock them properly as racks notorious for easy thefts. we multi lock ours together and to frame. Plus use 2 kryptonite cables, looped around bikes and rack, with one end padlocked to rear towing bracket under rear bumper...touch wood OK so far!

Oh! and use a cover....

Davidron.

Apr 17, 2012
we had 2 Wispers, must be similar length I would think..we went for Thule Omni rack with 50kg weight capacity, most Fiamma racks only 30-35kg.

Oh! and use a cover....
Thanks eddieo' What cover do you use?
I've got a Fiamma Carry Bike Pro C
Max Capacity 60kg

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
cheapish Fiamma one, has pocket for hazard warning sign (also fiamma)