Folding Bike

Lloyd S

Just Joined
Aug 20, 2014
I've been researching for a few days now (incl. reading lots of helpful stuff on this site) & now it's time to ask some questions. Firstly: I need a folding bike; I'd like a workhorse that could take me all over London (where I live). The lighter/smaller the better. My budget is £1000. It'll be my first ebike. I'd prefer a quiet motor & a throttle (but neither are deal breakers)

Can the Kudos secret be wheeled once it's folded? Hopefully I'm going to check it out in hampton wick sometime soon
What folding bikes can be wheeled in my price range?
What is the difference between a brushless motor (like the A2B Kuo) compared to the motor the Kudos has?

I read a comment on nycewheels.com (usa site) that it's a bad time to buy a kuo because they're going to release a kuo plus! Anybody know about a new folding electric bike coming out that is worth the wait? Are there any launches expected soon? I appreciate new models probably won't get that much lighter but maybe they'll fold up better. Any recommendations for folding ebikes?

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd S

Just Joined
Aug 20, 2014
The Kuo has a 24v 9ah and the Secret 36v 8Ah. Which one is better once you consider all the other specs of the bikes. I'm new to all this and don't understand anything about the batteries.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The Kuo has a 24v 9ah and the Secret 36v 8Ah. Which one is better once you consider all the other specs of the bikes. I'm new to all this and don't understand anything about the batteries.
You multiply one by the other, to give Wh (Watt hours). So the Kuo has 216Wh, and the Secret 288Wh.

Both bikes use brushless DC hub motors, which is the norm these days.

I had a quick try of the Kudos at an event once, I liked it. Folders aren't really my thing though.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Thanks in advance.
Very few folding bikes can be wheeled. Bromptons, Airnimals and Bike Friday are the obvious choices.

http://www.atob.org.uk/folding-bikes/folding-bike-buyers-guide-uk/

The contortionist is another interesting one:
http://inhabitat.com/contortionist-foliding-bike-rolls-up-smaller-than-a-wheel/

With £1000 budget, converting a second hand Brompton is a possibility or wait for the Woosh Gallego, end of October.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Both the Kudos Secret and A2B Kuo are nice bikes to ride but I wouldn't want to carry either about for long. The same is true for virtually all folders. If you need to take it on the tube or a bus, you really need a Brompton. <advertising removed>

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
I've had my Kuo since May and it has been excellent. It looks and feels well made, all catches ,hinges etc are nicely made and work beautifully. It folds easily but a bungee helps to keep it tidy and together. Oddly it comes with no mudguards so I fitted a set. The performance suits my use perfectly,just strolling along Trossachs cycle paths and the Loch Katrine loop (bike one way 12 miles, steamboat back.). The battery has never run out in my use and always seems to have some charge left . Locally into the Kilpatrick hills is only 500 yards then a 300ft climb over 1/2 mile. It does this easily with pedaling. If anything I find it a bit low geared and a shade tail heavy at low speeds. I fitted an elastomer steering damper to prevent a tendency of the bars to turn to full lock too easily when stopped and tip me and the bike over.
Although I have used it locally ,it is not best suited to the rougher parts which is why an E mtb is on the cards. I will keep the Kuo as it performs a different function. Ideally you need to try different bikes to see what suits. You can't be far from the bike show this weekend so it must be worth a look.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
I've been researching for a few days now (incl. reading lots of helpful stuff on this site) & now it's time to ask some questions. Firstly: I need a folding bike; I'd like a workhorse that could take me all over London (where I live). The lighter/smaller the better. My budget is £1000. It'll be my first ebike. I'd prefer a quiet motor & a throttle (but neither are deal breakers)

Can the Kudos secret be wheeled once it's folded? Hopefully I'm going to check it out in hampton wick sometime soon
What is the difference between a brushless motor (like the A2B Kuo) compared to the motor the Kudos has?

I read a comment on nycewheels.com (usa site) that it's a bad time to buy a kuo because they're going to release a kuo plus! Anybody know about a new folding electric bike coming out that is worth the wait? Are there any launches expected soon? I appreciate new models probably won't get that much lighter but maybe they'll fold up better. Any recommendations for folding ebikes?

Thanks in advance.
to be heretic, are you sure you need an electric bike? London is awfully flat, I have a Brompton, with a rohloff to be fair, but ive regularly whizzed from tate modern to Marylebone in less time than a tube journey..

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
to be heretic, are you sure you need an electric bike? London is awfully flat, I have a Brompton, with a rohloff to be fair, but ive regularly whizzed from tate modern to Marylebone in less time than a tube journey..
Central London is flat. Not so flat north of the two Highgate Hills and the Heath or south of Camberwell.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Lloyd S. I rarely fully fold my Kudos Secret,really only if I am loading it into a car. The bike is better balanced and easier to carry by folding the handlebars down and dropping the seat post as low as possible,but not folding,the carrying handle works well-sometimes I carry it down the passerelle on a boat,pick it up,best foot forward and be confident.
We made a couple of changes...longer double telescopic seat post and a 52 tooth chainring allows it to suit taller riders(up to 6ft) and more relaxed cadence in the cruise.
At 18 kilos I cannot get the weight much lower without putting the cost way up.
KudosDave

Allan Macdonald

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Deal and Brittany
Very few folding bikes can be wheeled. Bromptons, Airnimals and Bike Friday are the obvious choices.

http://www.atob.org.uk/folding-bikes/folding-bike-buyers-guide-uk/

The contortionist is another interesting one:
http://inhabitat.com/contortionist-foliding-bike-rolls-up-smaller-than-a-wheel/

With £1000 budget, converting a second hand Brompton is a possibility or wait for the Woosh Gallego, end of October.
Converting a used Brompton, unless you already have one, will put you way over budget. A good used Brommie will be over £600, much more if you want the lighter weight titanium model, and conversion over £700.
I tried a Secret at Kudos last week, I nearly bought one, but I wanted a step thru. I was really impressed with it though, it was very nippy.
Allan

Lloyd S

Just Joined
Aug 20, 2014
Thanks for the advice everybody.

I must go check out the Kudos Secret. The Kuo is £275 more - does anybody know why? Is it the Panasonic battery or that their a 'cool' brand? By that I mean they're cleverly marketed e.g. their impressive website/instagram presence etc so they can get away with selling it for extra?

I looked into converting a Brompton. It does seem more expensive as I would have to pay for a bike mechanic etc.

It's odd that few electric folding bikes can be wheeled. I assume there is something I don't know about preventing the designers from incorporating that into the bike fold?

Central London generally is flat ground but there's a huge hill in Islington which just so happens to be part of my commute. That's one reason I want an electric. I sweat more than your average person which makes commuting to work unpractical. Also, they're just fun. Lastly, anybody know the battery used in the Secret?

Lloyd S

Just Joined
Aug 20, 2014
Oh, I forgot the say possibly it's the substantial warranty on the Kuo (2 year on the battery/5 years on the frame) that might hike the price.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I noticed that we both live in london. I'm actually also interested in this brompton little kit. I'm sending a message to the seller as I need 20mph speed and not 12mph.

The brompton will be lighter, more compact and keep good value over time. Usual ebike in re-sale world loose half of its value. It's to consider too.

Tell me if you're interested, we could share the shipping cost.

D

Deleted member 4366

Oh, I forgot the say possibly it's the substantial warranty on the Kuo (2 year on the battery/5 years on the frame) that might hike the price.
That's if you can actually claim on the warranty. There was a guy on the forum that bought an A2B Metro. The battery wouldn't charge when he got it home, so he took it back to the shop. after three weeks the shop admitted that they couldn't get a replacement out of A2B, so they gave him one off another model, which was marked as unsuitable, and they didn't tell him that. Inevitably he had more problems later.

If I were you, I'd stick to one of the brands that have a presence on this forum. You're virtually guaranteed good support from them.

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
With the cable coming out the lhs, one might have to find a wider hook, with internal guard, to hook the front wheel onto the chainstay and stop crushing that cable every time it's folded.
Be a bit wider and front wheel might flop about, but without hands on experience of fitting motors on Bromptons, what do I know, eh? Cheers, Mikey :)