Flat foot bikes non electric

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
has anyone any experience of forward crank or flat foot bikes, typically known as beach cruisers.
I've always liked the idea but haven't seen anything like it in my area (Northampton)
Now With my bad back I'm riding more upright than ever, especially on my human only powered bike. Also I think the ability to put both feet flat on the ground but still get a good pedal stroke would help my father (80) get out a bit more often.
I've seen Electra bikes readily available on line but I'd realy like to know more and posibly ride one before splashing the cash.
Any thoughts and possible local stockists ( Northants)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Mine is very crank forward. And comfort is great. Kevin is highly recommended in the recumbent world. And can guide you in getting a bike or trike. Don't know if he has any assisted ones.
D TEK – Bike Shop and Cycle Shop. Contact details : Kevin Dunseath Tel. 01353 648 177. Email dtekhpvs@btconnect.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Cheers D8ve. I'm not looking to go recumbent, perhaps I should have put a picture up
image.jpeg
My UK google searching keeps coming back to the Electra townie, it has the riding position I think I'm after but there's nothing local to me, In the good old US of A this style looks to be popular & most stores carry stock but for the UK it's mostly mail order sales.
D-tek is 70 odd miles away but I may give him a call after Easter.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon

Here's my cruiser, going on eBay this weekend (local pickup, Devon, no good for you).

It's an Electra, single speed with back pedal brake. You wouldn't want to be going far up hill, unless you were young/light/fit.

You can get them with hub and derailleur gears, better choice for your dad.

Very well made and very comfortable bikes.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Shame about the distance, that's the sort of thing I was thinking and for small hills possibly dropping in a nexus 8 with coaster brake ( back pedel )

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This position is only ridable if you have no hills, which probably explains the huge direct drive hub motors the americans put in them. The slightest slope and you get off and push. This is probably the reason most bikes like this are either fixies, Sram Automatix or three speed hub.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
think the Townie 8i comes with that ready to go
Yup at a nice price, around £800
There's always nexus hubs with all the nessary controls on eBay for not much money
But here's me getting ahead of myself, I haven't even ridden one yet.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Yup at a nice price, around £800
There's always nexus hubs with all the nessary controls on eBay for not much money
But here's me getting ahead of myself, I haven't even ridden one yet.
Crikey, hadn't realized they were so expensive.

Advertisers