Fat bike brakes upgrade

radvis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2021
I have a city ebike, with 20-inch fat tires, a folding one, very like the "Mate X" bike. It is quite heavy, a 25-30 kg bike.

I am quite not satisfied with my Tektro Auriga hydraulic brakes, with the 160 mm rotors.

The brake pads wear out quickly, there is still random parasitic noise even if I do not brake.

So I am considering the brake upgrade.

What brand/model would you recommend me to go for?

I have no financial limit, I am simply looking for the best option for such an ebike.

RV

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I have a city ebike, with 20-inch fat tires, a folding one, very like the "Mate X" bike. It is quite heavy, a 25-30 kg bike.

I am quite not satisfied with my Tektro Auriga hydraulic brakes, with the 160 mm rotors.

The brake pads wear out quickly, there is still random parasitic noise even if I do not brake.

So I am considering the brake upgrade.

What brand/model would you recommend me to go for?

I have no financial limit, I am simply looking for the best option for such an ebike.

RV
I have Shimano MT200 with 160 rotors, which use the same shape pads as Tektro.

When new they were really good even with 160 rotors. When I replaced pads, first with the only ones local bike shop had, and then with cheap ones off eBay, I got noise, short life and poor braking.

Having gone back to genuine Shimano pads, I'm back to silent and decent power. Life of pads we'll see.

So maybe try latest B05s pads and see if it makes a difference. If almost enough then add a 180 front rotor with the adapter for the post mount.

Advertisers