Estrali , needs pedalling to start...

bartypit

Just Joined
Mar 9, 2011
Hi all
My husband has severe heart conditions that stops him from exerting. He has an estrali electric bike , but it needs some pedalling to make it go. Is there any way it could be adapted to work on throttle only to make it go at the start.
Thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all
My husband has severe heart conditions that stops him from exerting. He has an estrali electric bike , but it needs some pedalling to make it go. Is there any way it could be adapted to work on throttle only to make it go at the start.
Thanks
There is no magic button to solve that problem. You didn't say which Estrali bike he has. If it's the one with normal sized wheels, options 3 and 4 below might not be easy.

First step would be to contact Estrali customer support to ask them whether they have a solution.

Second possibility would be to open the controller compartment to see if there's a spare throttle connector. If there is, you can buy a throttle with the right connector.

Third possibility is to spoof the pedal sensor signal. For a few pounds, you can buy a device on Ebay that can make the right signal. You'd just need to wire it in with a push-button switch, which requires basic DIY/electrical skills.

Fourth possibility is to strip out the controller, pedal sensor and LCD, and replace with one that has a throttle. That can be done for as little as £30. It's a bit of a pain to thread all the wires through. Other than that fairly straight forward.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Fourth possibility is to strip out the controller
I may be wrong here, but I think Estarli use the KT-LCD7 on their 20" folders (from seeing one)...

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I may be wrong here, but I think Estarli use the KT-LCD7 on their 20" folders (from seeing one)...
The one I saw looked like a P3H, which is very similar. There are several such LCDs with different designations that share that case - a bit like the LCD4, where you have the KT version, Bafang version, Suntour HESC version and probably more.

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Alternatively sell the Estrali & buy a Wisper with a legal throttle.